A Few Lessons I've Learned

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I had a reef tank, I didn’t know what I was doing. That tank lasted for a couple of years and had far more downs than it ever had ups. I wanted the kind of tank I saw in pictures, the kind of tank that could grace the cover of just about any reefing magazine. It couldn’t be that hard, could it? That first aquarium of mine spent all its time as nothing more than an infuriating “before picture.” I never got to the after. I had the time, but I didn’t have the patience. The few corals I dared place into that tank did nothing more than slowly shrivel away.

The second time I had a reef tank, the tank that has been sitting patiently in my living room for the past 7 months, I didn’t know what I was doing. I still don’t know, and that is the first and best lesson I’ve learned in this hobby. If you always keep in mind how little you know, you’ll sometimes remember to take it slow.

I decided to read a little more this time and to study a little more this time and to watch the Youtube videos that either didn’t exist back when my first tank did, or I just never took the time to look for them. I joined this forum because the people here seemed nicer than normal people (you know - the kind of people who don’t attempt to keep the ocean in their house). This place is like the Fort Knox of reefing information except and all that shiny, golden information is not only free but people are just giving it away. You can take as much as you want. That’s another lesson I’ve learned. Take the gold, and maybe one day you’ll be able to give some of it back.

In the several years I spent away from the hobby, lots of things changed. Back in the old days you were supposed to keep nitrate and phosphate at zero. “Don’t you dare let those numbers creep up,” they said. Well, I guess things have changed. If you had told me back then that I’d be buying phosphate in a bottle, I would have laughed at you. During my hiatus, these things called dinoflagellates were invented by some awful person. Not one time did I hear of them before, not that I was looking very hard, but still! Now these “dinos”, as they’re called, haunt my dreams. I’ve learned that things in this hobby change, and they change fast. You’ve got to go with the flow.

Speaking of flow, I’ve learned that it’s darn near impossible to make every coral happy. I’m okay with that now. I moved my powerheads so many times at the beginning that my clownfish started rolling their eyes. Then I remembered the lesson – take it slow. Leave it alone, Joe! I’ve learned that coral have personalities and they don’t respond quickly like a person does. Slap a person and they’ll slap you right back. Slap a coral and they’ll sit there and think about how to respond for the next month or so.

I’ve learned that you can’t ever give up on a coral until it’s gone. I’ve had a frag of zoas shrink to near nothing. They were so mad at me and I have no idea why, but after several months they’re making a comeback. Nothing in my tank has shriveled away and died this time. My zoas are growing ever so slowly, my disco mushroom has a few babies, my duncan is growing a bunch of new heads, my rics are growing new mouths, and my blasto (a freebie) has two new heads. The lesson I’ve learned isn’t that success comes the second time, it’s that failure isn’t so frightening this time. I know with 100% certainty that major problems are going to arise. I know I’m going to lose coral that seem so happy right now. What I’ve learned is to realize that fact, to take it slow, and to do my best to figure out what I can do to make things better. And when I figure it out, I’m going to go slowly.

My reef tank is a baby, barely 6 months cycled. It can be ugly as sin and I’m constantly scraping the glass. I test so often that I could do it blindfolded with an arm tied behind my back. I monitor everything I can monitor. I dose the little bits I need to dose, and I strive as hard as I can to not chase numbers but to provide stability. Right now, I’ve got that stability and the little successes I have now are a great big victory. My tank may still be nothing more than a before picture and tragedy may be just around the corner, but I’ve never had more fun than helping this little slice of the ocean find success however I can help it find it. And I have more confidence than ever that I’ll get to the after picture someday.

I’ve learned that this hobby teaches you things that are true in all aspects in life. Slow down..take your time…take the time to smell the roses, or the saltwater. The hobby had me hooked with my first tank. I just didn’t now how hooked I was until attempt number two.

I’ve learned so much, but will never stop repeating the sobering phrase to myself – you don’t know a thing. So take it slow, learn, study, and give it time. The after picture will be there eventually if you just have the patience to let it come on its own time.

These are just a few of the lessons I’ve learned. Thank you Reef2Reef for being a big part of those lessons. I wish you all the happiest of reefing!

Tank 18 (2).JPG
Tank 18 (14).JPG
Tank 18 (28).JPG
Tank 18 (30).JPG

Happy reefing!
Joe

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm in my 16th 17th year...idk.... but im STILL learning

The way I figure it.... is the day you quit learning new things about this hobby is the day you turn into a bitter old crusty man with one foot in the grave

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great joe! Thanks for sharing. Wanna come test my tank? Lol
D
Haha! I'm afraid you're on your own there! And thanks!

Great outlook! Here's a few more lessons-
You don't spit into the wind
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
You don't mess around with Slim
I've managed to follow all of those!

Nice looking tank

Thank you!

I think I'm in my 16th 17th year...idk.... but im STILL learning

The way I figure it.... is the day you quit learning new things about this hobby is the day you turn into a bitter old crusty man with one foot in the grave

I totally agree. I'm always amazed by how much information is out there. I hope to learn a whole lot more.

eddies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this thread from Joe and oh the memories it brings back. I'm in about my tenth or so year of having a reef tank, the second time around.

I remember starting out about 30 years ago when my friends and I first started trying to figure out how to keep saltwater fish alive. Under-gravel filters, power heads, crushed coral, air stones, and ooh-ahh, the magnum canister filter made it's debut.. A couple more years into it, we learned to build wet/dry filters and light hoods for florescent bulbs and a protein skimmer in the garage. The internet was really in it's infancy. We used dialup modems and newsgroups and BBS's instead of forums. And we printed out stacks of everything we could find and made books out of it to share with our friends who were trying to bring the same pieces of the ocean to life. Our tanks would get overrun by hair algae and red slime which we now know is cyano. I started out with a 30 gallon long converted from fresh water, then a 55 gallon, then a 75 gallon, then a 125 gallon, and then we got married, had two kids and life put a damper on our foray into saltwater...

Second time around and fast forward 30 years, I started out again with an Innovative Marine 35 gallon all-in-one. My wife bought it from a LFS for me for Christmas. Wow! The filter was built in! And you can't be serious.... I can cycle the tank with live sand and some filter media from another mature tank? I don't have to throw a sacrificial damsel in the tank and wait for weeks on end? And it will live? Wow!

So the Innovative Marine is fantastic! I can keep fish alive, and it's more than just damsels and a clown. So now my wife is into this with me and we have to go bigger. After about the first year, Innovative Marine introduces the SR-60 and we HAVE to have one! My wonderful wife keeps bugging the guys at Marine Depot and BRS until finally, they start shipping. It gets drop shipped to the house and we spend the weekend moving everything from our Nuvo 35 to the SR-60. And we build a wall of purple rock up the back. And since the SR-60 is Innovative Marines entry into the shallow reef design of tanks, we have to take the plunge and actually try reefing! Duh... So now we're hooked. Let's go buy some coral! A few trips to the LFS and we were definitely all in. I remember throughout our run in the SR-60, we had a frogspawn, a favia and some variant of a Wilsoni or Trachy that were really the only corals we could keep alive. Fish were thriving, we had a couple of corals that were . . . sort of living... So we take a family trip to the other side of the country for 5 days that summer. We setup a foscam camera on a stool and point at the tank so we can see it from remote. We got a brand new automatic feeder and spend a day figuring out how to set it up and time it right, and then we head out of town. Half way into the trip, we look on the camera and don't see much in the way of fish swimming. When we get home two days later, we figured out why. Big crash number. The auto feeder dumped all of the food in the tank and we could smell it when we walked in the door... All the fish died with that crash but the three corals I mentioned all survived.

So we have to rebuild... We can't just let those corals die. So we set the 35 back up temporary and we decide that if we are going to set this back up, we are going to fill that space in our built in TV stand in the living room with a custom built tank sized perfectly for the living room. The 89 gallon custom tank is ordered and arrives a week later. this one has to have a separate filter and sump though. Hmmm. So with this iteration of the tank, we learn how drains and return pumps work. It took a looooong time to figure out how to make a syphon drain work quietly. I think we went for two years and about 10 different attempts at stopping the gurgling until we got to the next tank and figured it out for real.

So we go into the LFS one day and he has a tank sitting there that he took in from someone getting out of the hobby. It's a Red Sea 750XXL. My eyes got big and I had to wipe the drool off of my chin. My wife and I went back and forth for about a week and finally I won her over and she said I could set it up in our home office. This is where I actually learned how an overflow with a syphon drain can actually be made quiet. And it works! So now we have bunches of coral, a good overstock of fish, enough filtration in the basement to run probably five of the red sea tanks, every monitoring gadget that Neptune Systems makes, enough Radion lights to make the whole house glow at night, and our very own piece of the ocean that I spend way too much time watching and tinkering with. It's the best thing ever!

It has been a very long journey getting where we are today. We've had a couple of other crashes like the ATO sticking and emptying the RO/DI water in the tank . . . which is a bad thing and pretty much kills corals. That's where I learned what a float valve is and why I always have one on any water line. And we had a velvet outbreak that killed all the fish and we learned the importance of dipping and quarantining. But the advances I've seen in the marine/reef tank world in my lifetime alone is amazing. I personally can't keep much of any SPS alive worth a hoot. But give me a school of Ventralis Anthias, and I'm all over that. I've got the various saltwater fish figured out and we do pretty good at soft corals and LPS.

Compared to what we started with 30 some odd years ago, the color and variety of what is available today in the reef hobby is absolutely amazing. And like Joe above, I still find myself learning and learning and learning some more. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back