• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

A few questions about power heads and cycling

Asavorycookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, I’m a somewhat new reefer in the hobby I established a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 clownfish back in may of last year and recently I have gotten a new aquarium for free. It is 20 gallons and I was wondering what would be the best GPH for the aquarium I have yet to buy the power head but I hope that you can help me. I am also eventually planning to buy soft and LPS corals when my tank is completely cycled. I guess a extra thing I have to ask is also since I used my old water that was already cycled would I still have to wait as long or only half the time? I thank you for your time and hopefully I can figure new things out

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Since there are so many different scenarios ex. Aquascape, amount of rock, sand or bare bottom, placement of corals, etc. it is easiest to buy a couple of DC pumps so you can control the gph based on your situation. I have a 20 long and bought two cheap jabeo pumps that each can push 1000gph if needed. In regards to cycling, the old water will help a little but but nitrifying bacteria mostly colonize the rocks, sands and biomedia therefore the old water will not really shorten the cycle. I personally do fishless cycles using Dr Tim’s, or Biospira and ammonia chloride to feed. Happy reefing!

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 118 38.4%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 138 45.0%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 51 16.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
SaltwaterAquarium.com