A fine time to start a reef tank

Sycamoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. With no travel for the past 5 months and none planned, it seems this is a fine time to start up a reef tank. Travel and my reef tank aren't friends.

I had a 90 gal tank and then replaced it with a 120 gal tank. Between them, I had about 10 years of reef keeping, mostly fish and softies. Then, rushing to finish a DI cartridge change the morning we left for a 10 day business & vacation trip, I forgot that I had left the DI line valve cracked open. That line was over a sump, so by the time we got home, salinity had dropped drastically and everything in the tank was dead. The trauma of that ended my reefing.

Two years later, I'm back, aiming to keep things small and simple. And no more business travel since retirement. My 16 gal Coralife Biocube is cycling now. I'm in no hurry to add fish or coral and am spending the time catching up on what's changed (so you don't want 0 phosphate or nitrate anymore, huh), and reading through people's build threads. I'm glad to be back.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. With no travel for the past 5 months and none planned, it seems this is a fine time to start up a reef tank. Travel and my reef tank aren't friends.

I had a 90 gal tank and then replaced it with a 120 gal tank. Between them, I had about 10 years of reef keeping, mostly fish and softies. Then, rushing to finish a DI cartridge change the morning we left for a 10 day business & vacation trip, I forgot that I had left the DI line valve cracked open. That line was over a sump, so by the time we got home, salinity had dropped drastically and everything in the tank was dead. The trauma of that ended my reefing.

Two years later, I'm back, aiming to keep things small and simple. And no more business travel since retirement. My 16 gal Coralife Biocube is cycling now. I'm in no hurry to add fish or coral and am spending the time catching up on what's changed (so you don't want 0 phosphate or nitrate anymore, huh), and reading through people's build threads. I'm glad to be back.
Except when you check out currect coral pricing due to travel bans. They are up like 100% from what they were when I was buying corals last in 2018. At least my LFS are

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome back sycamore.
Little room for error with this hobby.
Let's get back at it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back