OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used super glue. Stealing @kevgib67's photo, I added the bottom strip in the same place he did, but attached the top strip where the red line is in this picture. This way, the feeding door is still fully usable. I first removed the center screw (red arrow) so it's still possible to remove the clear plastic splashguard if needed.

hood.jpg

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What controller did you buy for the LED bars? Sunsetter?
I used a simple Nutbro 0-10V PWM dimmer, controlled by my Hydros controller.

The Hydros Control X4 has a 0-10V output, which is controllable from the Hydros app. You can create schedules with ramp up and ramp down, etc. I connected this output to the 0-10V input of the Nutbro dimmer. This was the cheapest and best solution for me, since I already had the expensive Hydros controller.

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could never get the tank to look the way I wanted with the built-in lights, not even after adding two strips of blue LEDs. So, I bit the dust and ditched the stock hood. I went for a Kraken Reef lid, an InTank filtration cover, and I found a pair of used Kessil lights. Granted, having two A360X Tuna Blues on a 32 gal is glorious overkill, but I love the way they reach every nook and cranny of the tank. I'm still experimenting with programming the lights, we'll see how the corals react. My BTA is definitely loving the new lights.

kessils.jpg

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Auto Top Off system (ATO) with that lid set up. Evaporation increases
Thanks, and absolutely! I got the optional evaporation cover from Kraken Reef, it's sitting right on top of the mesh. You can actually see it in the picture. I'm still on the fence whether I should keep the evap cover on the tank permanently though, as it does steal a fair amount of light compared to just the mesh. I'll probably decide once the acclimation ramp-up of the lights is done. And yes, an ATO system is absolutely necessary.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and absolutely! I got the optional evaporation cover from Kraken Reef, it's sitting right on top of the mesh. You can actually see it in the picture. I'm still on the fence whether I should keep the evap cover on the tank permanently though, as it does steal a fair amount of light compared to just the mesh. I'll probably decide once the acclimation ramp-up of the lights is done. And yes, an ATO system is absolutely necessary.
My Biocube would overheat in the summertime with the stock lid on it. I had to open the feeding door and rig an exhaust fan to keep the temp down.

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How’s the tank doing any pics ?
Any updates?
Thanks for the interest!

Update: I've been hit by all sorts of pests, one by one, and it's been a rough few months. First I got green hairy algae, but managed to fight them off. Then I got bubble algae, still struggling with those. And then I got cyano (I think). I've added a second IceCap Gyre 2K flow pump, an Emerald crab, I've been doing 12% water changes, and I'm dosing All-for-reef, Microbacter bacteria, live phyto, and live copepods. I think maybe I'm slowly winning, but it's too early to tell for sure.

My parameters are stable; phos 0.03, nitrates 12, alk 9, sal 1.026, and pH 8.4.

My softies are doing very well, but my LPS are not happy. I think I have one left alive. My BTA is also happy, it split and now I have two. They're both huge and I'm giving one away to a friend as soon as I can figure out how to get it off the rock it's attached to.

I'll post some pictures later.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had bubble algae and Cyano for months now but manageable. Not much cyano Anymore. Ive heard that bubble algae is the last to leave the tank. I manually pick it out every couple weeks.

my water changes are 5-10 gal per week which helps. I don’t run a skimmer.

your parameters look fine. Did you end up getting a different light? Could be a reason for your lps issue.

I’m regretting the nem purchase. Mine has split 4 times in a year and burned my sps. I used a toothbrush to get mine off. But I was able to take the rock out.
Thanks for the interest!

Update: I've been hit by all sorts of pests, one by one, and it's been a rough few months. First I got green hairy algae, but managed to fight them off. Then I got bubble algae, still struggling with those. And then I got cyano (I think). I've added a second IceCap Gyre 2K flow pump, an Emerald crab, I've been doing 12% water changes, and I'm dosing All-for-reef, Microbacter bacteria, live phyto, and live copepods. I think maybe I'm slowly winning, but it's too early to tell for sure.

My parameters are stable; phos 0.03, nitrates 12, alk 9, sal 1.026, and pH 8.4.

My softies are doing very well, but my LPS are not happy. I think I have one left alive. My BTA is also happy, it split and now I have two. They're both huge and I'm giving one away to a friend as soon as I can figure out how to get it off the rock it's attached to.

I'll post some pictures later.

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a different light?
I'm using the two Kessil A360X Tuna Blues mentioned earlier. They make the tank look so much better than the original lights. I may have to turn up the intensity some more, though. Actually, what I really need to do is to borrow a PAR meter so that I'm no longer going by trial and error.
take the rock out
I can't, that's the thing. At least not without tearing everything down. I'm going to try to point a powerhead at the nem, see if that makes it release its grip and move. There's also the 'ice cube against foot' method, but then I need it to move to a more accessible spot first.

I like the BTA, at least as long as there's just the one. It's a centerpiece of the tank, along with a very large Toadstool leather. I'm going to have to cut that thing/frag it, but I'm scared of taking a razor blade to it.

I do about 4 gallons per water change, and I do run a small skimmer (the BioCube one, by Coralife). It must be working, because the cup keeps filling up with muddy water and a slippery film. I clean it every other day.

Thanks!

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have plenty of light but a par meter would be good.

I hear ya on the nem. Mine was the center piece and then grew over 8” in diameter. i just want mine to stay put. They slowly start to drift

there is a thread in here that has a pvc pipe and sponge placed over the nem and the nem will release and crawl up the pipe for the light. Not sure if you could do something like that with your placement.

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased the InTank media basket and refugium basket for the BioCube 32, and put some Cheato macro algae in the latter.
Quick follow-up to myself: I finally gave up on the Chaeto. It kept getting sucked into pumps and blocking them. The InTank fuge basket did nothing to prevent that. What remained of the Chaeto would turn into brown goo.

Instead I switched to Sea Lettuce, also a macro algae. What a difference! It grows like crazy. I finally have nutrient export.

OP
OP
GunnarH

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BioCube update: It's been two years, almost to the day. The tank is thriving, to the point where things are growing a little out of control. The BTAs have split several times, and zoas and softies are everywhere. My LPS have grown to the point where there's no more room for them to expand, and I even have a few SPS set on world domination. And then there's the toadstool. It's grown way too large for this tank.

On the flip side, I still have bubble algae I can't seem to get rid of, and now even the coralline algae are growing so fast they're a bit of a nuisance (it's hard to keep the glass clean). Not that I'm complaining.

I haven't done any water changes in quite a while, instead I rely on filtration and dosing. I have my trusty CoraLife skimmer, a CoraLife UV lamp, tons of bioballs, some basic filter media, and Chemi-Pure Blue. The latter three in an InTank Media Basket in the middle chamber.

Flow is provided by two IceCap Gyre 2k pumps and a cheap $20 powerhead off of Amazon. The gyres are connected to a Hydros WaveEngine LE set to LPS Reef mode. They provide a back-and-forth flow pattern that's very pleasing to watch, and which looks "natural" to my eyes. The $20 powerhead is used to prevent dead spots in the back of the tank, behind the aquascaping. Pretty much everything in the tank is controlled by Hydros controllers, including the ATO. I keep a 5 gallon RO/DI reservoir inside the stand.

I clean once a week. Nothing too drastic, but I replace the filter media, scrape the glass, and check that everything is working.

I dose phytoplankton, NP-Bacto-Balance, MicroBacter Clean, and All-for-Reef daily. My parameters are holding steady and I do an ICP test once every month or two to make sure I'm not bottoming out on anything critical.

Livestock consists of 2 Ocellaris Clowns, a Royal Gramma, a Tailspot Blenny, a Tuxedo Urchin, a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, a Derasa Clam, a Pink Tubeworm, 4 BTAs, and a CUC. And the corals, of course.

If you've read this far, I'm sure you can guess what's coming next. That's right, a bigger tank. Stay tuned, more coming soon.

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

(The Toadstool doesn't look so large in this image, but that's because it's closed. It likes to open in the evening, and then it pretty much covers the top of the tank.)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BioCube update: It's been two years, almost to the day. The tank is thriving, to the point where things are growing a little out of control. The BTAs have split several times, and zoas and softies are everywhere. My LPS have grown to the point where there's no more room for them to expand, and I even have a few SPS set on world domination. And then there's the toadstool. It's grown way too large for this tank.

On the flip side, I still have bubble algae I can't seem to get rid of, and now even the coralline algae are growing so fast they're a bit of a nuisance (it's hard to keep the glass clean). Not that I'm complaining.

I haven't done any water changes in quite a while, instead I rely on filtration and dosing. I have my trusty CoraLife skimmer, a CoraLife UV lamp, tons of bioballs, some basic filter media, and Chemi-Pure Blue. The latter three in an InTank Media Basket in the middle chamber.

Flow is provided by two IceCap Gyre 2k pumps and a cheap $20 powerhead off of Amazon. The gyres are connected to a Hydros WaveEngine LE set to LPS Reef mode. They provide a back-and-forth flow pattern that's very pleasing to watch, and which looks "natural" to my eyes. The $20 powerhead is used to prevent dead spots in the back of the tank, behind the aquascaping. Pretty much everything in the tank is controlled by Hydros controllers, including the ATO. I keep a 5 gallon RO/DI reservoir inside the stand.

I clean once a week. Nothing too drastic, but I replace the filter media, scrape the glass, and check that everything is working.

I dose phytoplankton, NP-Bacto-Balance, MicroBacter Clean, and All-for-Reef daily. My parameters are holding steady and I do an ICP test once every month or two to make sure I'm not bottoming out on anything critical.

Livestock consists of 2 Ocellaris Clowns, a Royal Gramma, a Tailspot Blenny, a Tuxedo Urchin, a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, a Derasa Clam, a Pink Tubeworm, 4 BTAs, and a CUC. And the corals, of course.

If you've read this far, I'm sure you can guess what's coming next. That's right, a bigger tank. Stay tuned, more coming soon.

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

(The Toadstool doesn't look so large in this image, but that's because it's closed. It likes to open in the evening, and then it pretty much covers the top of the tank.)

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

Wow , looks great, I’m having the same problems. Only so much real estate in a 32g Biocube.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back