About to start a new tank again. Need help

ReeferPrime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to get a 30-gallon reef started again. Here is the tank I'm thinking of. I wanted something more like 40 gallons that was a long tank that's rimless with low iron glass. I don't plan to have a sump, instead I wanted to have a canister filter with protein skimmer. I wanted to have it all in the cabinet underneath my stand. I just don't know what kind to get or how difficult it would be to plumb. I want to set up a tank that once established I don't really need to touch it a lot. Plan to get dosing and ATO setup but that's something I plan to do later. For stocking I was thinking of a pair of clowns with anemone, a pair damselfish and that's pretty much it for fish. For corals I was thinking of Xenia, Kenya tree, frogspawn, birdnest, acro, gonipora. Here's my list of things I was thinking of getting. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. I just need help figuring out what I should be doing tbh.

Attachments

• de89a12a-3ae5-4202-b01c-00a68cf22833_Saltwater_Aquarium_Budget.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 30
OP
OP
ReeferPrime

ReeferPrime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to keep as much of the stuff hidden under the stand as possible so I don't want to do HOB anything if possible. I was thinking of the possibility of a sumo but it sounds difficult to pump, maintain and I would be afraid of messing it up. My goal is to get a tank that I don't have to do many water changes on. So any idea for alternatives to a protein skimmer. Would it be fine to go skimmerless? Is it fine to have a canister filter?

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back