Abyzz a400 tripping GFI

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong it's a GREAT pump. Running mine @ 80% and you can't hear it. Changed over to a bean overflow and the Abyzz pump on this build from a panworld 100x-x and durso on my old 120 gallon and the wife was so happy how quiet everything is. Just wish if they are going to market in the US that they would have made adjustments so it would work with GFCI or at least put a warning in the description of the potential issue.

Got to agree, if they did it for the A100 then Abyzz should make a USA version for all of their models.

Can't even imagine how much head and flow that the A400 pushes.

In the 90's used to push an jap made iwaki and that thing lasted 19 years, but it was not quiet to today's standards.

Think panworld has closed down, but not totally sure if that's the case

Skragan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am a little disappointed with Abyzz right now. I am setting up my 224 gallon setup and had a new dedicated circuit ran for the tank with 2 GFI receptacles behind the tank. When I finally got water into the system and turned on the Abyzz pump it would almost immediately trip the GFI on either receptacle. I opened a ticket with Coralvue and they contacted Abyzz. This was the response that I received:

"I got an email from Abyzz about your issue. I was told that the GFIs we use here in the US are sensitive, so using a European GFI or no GFI for your pump is the way to go. I was assured that this issue should not be a security fault in the device and not using a GFI has worked out. "

I have no idea what a "European GFI" is! So now my options are run an extension cord across the room to the nearest standard outlet or replace one of the GFI receptacle with a standard. Because the receptacle is behind the stand would it be "safe" to run a standard receptacle? I could also move the control box to the basement where the sump is, but I purchased the 10m model so I could have the control box under my tank with the rest of the electronics.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Hi,

please send me a message via email to [email protected] and I will check on this. Please, do forward me the answer from CoralVue as well!

As a general information to what might be the case: Multiple devices run on the same GFCI? Driver got wet? No proper ground contact in the plug? Old GFCI? Cable damaged?

What is your cable length? If 10m it could need a range extender for additional emi reduction.

of course, this shouldn’t happen, but at first we have to find out wether the pump is indeed causing that because it’s broken OR it’s the GFCI. European GFCIs do not cause as many issues as they’re not sensitive to EMI - that’s why they’re so much more expensive.

Furthermore, 30mA is the standard in Europe for tooling etc., but household GFCIs are at 3mA(!) (just to clarify wrong infos in this thread).

cheers,

alex

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, AiKkz, I saw your post and I refereanced it when I opened the ticket with Premium Aquatics and Coralvue.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep every that has been helpful informed, I have been in continual contact with Alex and we are working on getting a solution to this issue.
Thanks everyone!
I'm not sure if this would work but....

It "might" provide enough harmonic filtration to prevent the GFCI from tripping. It would also help protect the controller against a power surge if that is an issue where you live.

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this would work but....

It "might" provide enough harmonic filtration to prevent the GFCI from tripping. It would also help protect the controller against a power surge if that is an issue where you live.

Great idea! I assume its the same as the one in this picture? If so, no joy. Alex also had me try to uncoil the excess cable and that didn't work either.

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several Jebao return pump models that can easily extend 15ft of head.

Hope the abyzz works out!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! I assume its the same as the one in this picture? If so, no joy. Alex also had me try to uncoil the excess cable and that didn't work either.

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg
Yup, that should be the same one. I'll keep seeing if I can come up with something....

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 44 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 40 23.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back