Acan Echinata abnormal growth?

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this coral from my LFS about a week ago and have some concerns about it I'm hoping someone could help me out. I was told this is an acan echinata correct me if I am wrong but there seems to be a spiky white growth in it that doesn't seem to be part of the coral because the flesh recedes around that area. The spike growth does not sway in the current and looks solid. I have not seen much activity/no sweeper tentacles and I've done coral rx and iodine dip any advice is greatly appreciated thank you.

20201121_192418~2.jpg 20201121_192408.jpg 20201121_192319.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't keep dipping. That can stress the coral out, and will only help with active infections. It should be left to its own devices, to grow.

That said, it's a bit odd for a skeleton. Poke that section with something- is it definitely a stony skeleton? If not, it might be some sort of tough sponge, which should probably be removed.

OP
OP
M

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep dipping. That can stress the coral out, and will only help with active infections. It should be left to its own devices, to grow.

That said, it's a bit odd for a skeleton. Poke that section with something- is it definitely a stony skeleton? If not, it might be some sort of tough sponge, which should probably be removed.
Affirmative on the no more dip. To the touch it did feel sharp/stony. Ive been letting it be this past month, posting updated pics on it now thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
M

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a bit odd to me, coral does not look very healthy. Could be skeleton but looks like it has tentacles.

+1 for poke it!
I thought tentacles too but it felt stony no movement on the poke. Here's some updated shots. The once white skeletal part turned dark and there's been some further receding flesh. Was wondering if this could be slow tissue necrosis.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-082835.png
    Screenshot_20210105-082835.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210105-082813.png
    Screenshot_20210105-082813.png
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • acanechinata.JPG
    acanechinata.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 43

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought tentacles too but it felt stony no movement on the poke. Here's some updated shots. The once white skeletal part turned dark and there's been some further receding flesh. Was wondering if this could be slow tissue necrosis.
It doesn't look good, just make sure its in lowish light and moderate flow. Keep your water good and it may recover. I had a favia that completely stripped and bleached it had the smallest bit of flesh left on it, 3 months later it has 3 complete eyes again

OP
OP
M

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look good, just make sure its in lowish light and moderate flow. Keep your water good and it may recover. I had a favia that completely stripped and bleached it had the smallest bit of flesh left on it, 3 months later it has 3 complete eyes again
Congrats on the recovery on that favia, I hope to be able to do the same! Might move it to a different tank as flow options are limited in the nano tank it's in now the only concern bein not to cause any extra stress

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the recovery on that favia, I hope to be able to do the same! Might move it to a different tank as flow options are limited in the nano tank it's in now the only concern bein not to cause any extra stress
I moved mine, in my experience if corals ore struggling in one tank moving them to another with better conditions can IMO reduce the stress

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back