Acan Echinata Next to Each Other

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Acan Echinata with about 5” around each side for a safety buffer. I have a Worldwide Corals Purple Drank Echinata on the way tomorrow and I’m wondering if they are safe to place next to each other since they are the same species or will they extend the web of death like they would to other corals?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m not sure I want to risk it. They are both cool pieces... I think I’ll keep the WWC in the main display and move the other to the frag tank.

548b4a90c29ea7f1515dba57427b2354.jpg

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it. It’s kind of teal with red/pink. I thought it was a chalice too, but it seemed too fleshy and the mouths didn’t look right. It was confirmed as an Acan Echinata when it fell on my grapes and limes leptastrea and out came the web of death and it caused tissue damage in a matter of about 2 minutes. Chalices don’t defend themselves like that, right? They are more sweeper tentacle killers?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple echinatas from several sources piled up in a corner, and they've never shown the slightest hostility to each other. I didn't know this ahead of time, I just tried it to see what would happen, if anything. Some of them have however damaged adjacent unrelated corals with their aggressive filaments.

IMG_6184b.jpg

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple echinatas from several sources piled up in a corner, and they've never shown the slightest hostility to each other. I didn't know this ahead of time, I just tried it to see what would happen, if anything. Some of them have however damaged adjacent unrelated corals with their aggressive filaments.

IMG_6184b.jpg

Thanks! I might move it back down next to the other one and see how they do together!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6184b.jpg

Beautiful corals btw. How long did it take for your Echinata to grow to that size? Did they start as frags?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful corals btw. How long did it take for your Echinata to grow to that size? Did they start as frags?

Yes, just a bunch of frags that have been growing from anywhere from 4 months to a year. :)

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I’m going to move my Echinata back by the other one and cross my fingers!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool, I just picked up an Echinata from a club member a little bit ago and was wondering if they would get along with other echinatas. Otherwise he's off in the corner by himself and far away from my equally evil space invader.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, no issues with mine, but they haven’t grown to the point of touching yet. Still a couple inches between.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6184b.jpg

I wouldn't have guessed this would be the case :) I would keep them far enough a part though so that they could grow into mini colonies before they get close to each other ,, maybe even think about making frags of each to put into another system or a friends tank ,, this way you can get frags back if things turn south on you jmo I can be your friend if you need one :)

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates or reconfirmation? I had an acan accidentally get blown on top of one of these. Needless to say, the acan was stung to heck, actually the Echinata was sapping the heck out of it! My understanding is that corals of the same kind can usually be put together.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my recent experience, Acan Echinata can be placed next to each other in some cases and even can touch (still be careful). If you are talking about Acan Lordhowensis and Acan Echinata next to each other, I would make that a hard no. Echinata pretty much annihilates anything other than some other Echinata. So putting a different type of Acan next to it (Lord, Bowerbanki, etc.) is likely a bad idea.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back