Acan looking rough

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09FFE24F-7698-4432-9841-DCDBAC06CA73.jpeg
Hey wanted to get some opinions on the look of my acan.

It has been looking like this for a few days. Not really extending like it once was

Params:
Alk 9
Calcium: 425
Mag: 1500
Nitrate: 1
Phos: 0 at last check a few days ago

No big swings on anything. I did a Fluconazole treatment over 3 weeks ago as it was being hassled by hair algae. Hair algae is gone, but I got this now. Any help is appreciated. I just did a water change today.

OP
OP
gfordQC

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, haven’t spot fed. I haven’t noticed any, but anything is possible. I have another acan that looks normal.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed a couple on the frag. I've had them on plugs before and the coral was hit or miss on how much it puffed up until I removed them. They also like to be fed on occasion, especially with lower nutrient systems

OP
OP
gfordQC

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. Now that you said something I have those &$@? things all over. I didn’t realize what they were. I removed them from that frag in particular. Time to research. Don’t know if you don’t ask I suppose.

AB5C086D-C4BF-4447-8273-29FA05C0152B.jpeg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. They aren't the end of the world. You'll notice their string from the tube when you're feeding. I cut them off with bone cutters if they are bothering anything or a dab of superglue gel or epoxy over the hole.

OP
OP
gfordQC

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i got the snails off of it, but it still is not looking the best. I dipped in CoralRx last week waiting to see if it recovers.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i got the snails off of it, but it still is not looking the best. I dipped in CoralRx last week waiting to see if it recovers.
In my experience, Acans are pretty resilient. Give them some time and food. Hopefully they bounce back for you!

OP
OP
gfordQC

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans really thrive when fed several times a week. I saw much better growth and color when I feed a variety of foods 2-3 times a week.

I fed it LRS Reef Frenzy last night. Going to get some reef chili this weekend and try that.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed it LRS Reef Frenzy last night. Going to get some reef chili this weekend and try that.
Make sure to feed smaller bits of Reef Frenzy, not the large chunks. It's better to feed acans and other LPS meatier foods that they can grab on to and consume, but Reef Chili may be a good way to first trigger a feeding response, then feed them some meat.

OP
OP
gfordQC

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to feed smaller bits of Reef Frenzy, not the large chunks. It's better to feed acans and other LPS meatier foods that they can grab on to and consume, but Reef Chili may be a good way to first trigger a feeding response, then feed them some meat.

Yeah, just another option is what i'm looking for also. Not sure what is up with it cause I have another Acan that is doing fine.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Feed them once every 5-6 days, no more and no less...
If you feed 3 times a week the food will just rot inside of them leaving them susceptible to bacterial infections, which subsequently leads to brown jelly disease.

Also, your tank is running too lean.
1 no3
and
O po4 is no bueno for any coral, but especially zoas and lps

OP
OP
gfordQC

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them once every 5-6 days, no more and no less...
If you feed 3 times a week the food will just rot inside of them leaving them susceptible to bacterial infections, which subsequently leads to brown jelly disease.

Also, your tank is running too lean.
1 no3
and
O po4 is no bueno for any coral, but especially zoas and lps

yeah i have been trying to increase those levels. I have stump remover for my nitrate and I'm around 3 now on that and phos i'm .02. I did a 18 gal water change on Feb. 3rd. I'm going to try a different approach and look to do 5 gal weekly changes and keep my hands out of the tank for a bit. I have been battling algae since a trip over Christmas which now is finally in check. Looking to get some stability.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back