Acanthophyllia

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they hard to keep

(people often do not know what this coral is so please only comment if you know what it is thanks)
For some reason, I can’t keep an Acan or a Trachy to save my life. Everything else in my tank grows like wild fire! Parameters are good! Blastos are growing but Acans won’t even open! I did just recently buy new AI Hydra 32HD’s so I may try again! Luckily, my LFS lets me bring stuff back if it’s not doing well! I have been told they are easy corals to keep but I just haven’t had any luck! I have Gonies that are thriving but again, Acans won’t do anything!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how long it I have had mine (over a year). For me it has been much hardier than lobos and cynarina. Mine is currently on the bottom under SPS lighting with 4 powerheads in a 36x24 tank and seems to be loving it.
20230909_205132.jpg

FTS
20230908_190723.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, I can’t keep an Acan or a Trachy to save my life. Everything else in my tank grows like wild fire! Parameters are good! Blastos are growing but Acans won’t even open! I did just recently buy new AI Hydra 32HD’s so I may try again! Luckily, my LFS lets me bring stuff back if it’s not doing well! I have been told they are easy corals to keep but I just haven’t had any luck! I have Gonies that are thriving but again, Acans won’t do anything!
are you sure you are talking around the right thing? do you mean these when you say "Acans" cause the picture below is not what i am on about

acans.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthophyllia is the topic of this thread. If you've bought multiple Acanthophyllia corals and they didn't make it, you've certainly got money in your wallet!!

Red Sea 425 XL Mixed_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not difficult to keep as long as they are given the conditions they like the most. I have a special love for these corals and are my top favorite in the hobby. I have dozen in the current tank. Po4 not higher then 0,7-1 and no3 around 5-10 not much flow. This works best in my experience in all the years I am in the hobby..

The reason as to why they expensive is because there been en export ban for long time, that’s comming to a end slow by little.. so you see more on the market these days.. that’s from Indonesia. Australia has a import ban stil.

Also they can’t be fragged, they just grow bigger in size. This 2 of the major reasons of there high cost rate. They have extreme beautiful colors and that’s making them very wanted for collector’s.. because that’s what they are to me: collector items.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not difficult to keep as long as they are given the conditions they like the most. I have a special love for these corals and are my top favorite in the hobby. I have dozen in the current tank. Po4 not higher then 0,7-1 and no3 around 5-10 not much flow. This works best in my experience in all the years I am in the hobby..

The reason as to why they expensive is because there been en export ban for long time, that’s comming to a end slow by little.. so you see more on the market these days.. that’s from Indonesia. Australia has a import ban stil.

Also they can’t be fragged, they just grow bigger in size. This 2 of the major reasons of there high cost rate. They have extreme beautiful colors and that’s making them very wanted for collector’s.. because that’s what they are to me: collector items.
When you talk business though there's a difference in charging what people are willing to pay and just price gouging. I'd say several hundred dollars makes them fall into the price gouging category because it costed nothing to produce them. Shipping is also a terrible explanation because they pack those cargo planes as full as they possibly can. You can fly yourself to Indonesia from many locations for the same price. If there was a cost of production, that would be different. But this isn't a Maserati decked out with the best leather money can buy, this wasn't created by people at all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back