Acropora Newbie and bleaching tips

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2-3yr old mixed system ~67gal DT (4'x1.5'x1.5' echotech return and 2 Nero 5's for flow) and 15gal sump and have been struggling to care for acropora. I have other "less fussy" SPS that seem to do well (monti digitata and plating, Pocillopora and pavona) but acro success has eluded me.

Specifically im starting to see some bleaching or burning at the tips from a few of the frags and would love some tips from folks on how to treat and correct the problem (Pix attached). My theories are alk swings vs too low nutrients? I use the 4head older model Jebao dosing pump to dose ESV 2part (2ml every hour on the hour for 12hrs during the day, considering moving to the night). I feed a few PE pellets on an eheim feeder and feed mysis nightly, until the greedy Kole Tang is done. Other recs are greatly appreciated.

Parameters:
PO4: 0.03-0.07 Hannah (depending on coral feeding the day prior, running GFO)
NO3: 0.02 Salifert (hasn't moved in a while running skimmer and refugium)
pH: 7.7-8.0 on APEX (Considering switch to alk, other measures have failed to increase pH)
Alk: 8.5 - 8.9 Hannah depending on time of testing, usually from 6-9pm (considering moving dosing to after lights go out)
Ca: 325-375
Mg: wnl

These pictures are before lights come up in the AM. Can take more if helpful.
Thanks in advance,

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.14.04 AM.png

keatonmjenkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would do one thing at a time. Doing to much at once and you won’t know what works. Me personally I would check par because that won’t mess with anything and it’s an easy fix that won’t mess with anything else in the tank since you can move the coral around. Then work in nutrients, I’ve seen plenty grow SPS at low nitrites.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken any PAR readings? Possibly raise nutrients and reduce light intensity. How is your flow?
Thanks for your reply. My PAR in this area at peak hours is 280. I was worried about going too high so haven't really touched the light settings in over a year. I use the AI hydras plus 4T5 bulbs at peak during the day.

As far as flow i have 2 AI Neros on the back glass running pulsing through the day 70% and Random 75% at night.

I will up the NO3 and see if things get better. Thanks.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump up the nitrates to like 10 and ph above 8. Calcium needs a bump keep it above 400. What lighting and par?
Im running the AI hydras +4 T5 bulbs in a hybrid setup. Par is around 280 in this part of the tank. I suppose i have some room to go up, but assumed id see browning. if the lighting was too low?

Im considering switching to Kalkwasser in order to get a pH bump. The tank is in a big open living room, with the fan on. only me, my wife, and 2yo in the house. i've tried asking them to breath less, but that didn't go over well...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Testing is very important with care of SPS. The best practice is to let your coral talk to you which is merely based on observation and test your parameters 1-2X a week. SPS do not have a great deal of forgiveness when they are stressed or unhappy Often they will quickly succumb to changes in parameters which cannot be seen hence the required water testing. The most important parameters are typically alkalinity and nitrates, followed by phosphates, calcium and magnesium. If you can keep alkalinity stable, everything else will likely be stable. an exact number for alkalinity is not as critical as keeping the number in a precise range. While SPS can do well with a dKh range of 7-12 . . . many reefers typically run their reef tanks somewhere near 8 dKh opposed to the past where higher numbers was the goal. Once you acquire a target alkalinity- Stay close to that target because SPS respond quickly and negatively to changes in alk.
Remember, alk affects calcium which affects Ph

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your salinity at, your cal seems low. are all your parameters balanced?
Salinity is 34.8 at the moment, i usually target 35.
M
y bad. my Ca is 375, a bit higher but still could stand to get it up to 400. I am using Tropic Marin Pro

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2-3yr old mixed system ~67gal DT (4'x1.5'x1.5' echotech return and 2 Nero 5's for flow) and 15gal sump and have been struggling to care for acropora. I have other "less fussy" SPS that seem to do well (monti digitata and plating, Pocillopora and pavona) but acro success has eluded me.

Specifically im starting to see some bleaching or burning at the tips from a few of the frags and would love some tips from folks on how to treat and correct the problem (Pix attached). My theories are alk swings vs too low nutrients? I use the 4head older model Jebao dosing pump to dose ESV 2part (2ml every hour on the hour for 12hrs during the day, considering moving to the night). I feed a few PE pellets on an eheim feeder and feed mysis nightly, until the greedy Kole Tang is done. Other recs are greatly appreciated.

Parameters:
PO4: 0.03-0.07 Hannah (depending on coral feeding the day prior, running GFO)
NO3: 0.02 Salifert (hasn't moved in a while running skimmer and refugium)
pH: 7.7-8.0 on APEX (Considering switch to alk, other measures have failed to increase pH)
Alk: 8.5 - 8.9 Hannah depending on time of testing, usually from 6-9pm (considering moving dosing to after lights go out)
Ca: 325-375
Mg: wnl

These pictures are before lights come up in the AM. Can take more if helpful.
Thanks in advance,

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.14.04 AM.png
It’s hard to tell if it’s burnt tips or new growth.
If it is burnt tips Alk can be the issue in relation to your No3 level. The general rule
No3 under 5ppm Alk should be below 8. Your Alk level now should have No3 above 5ppm. 10pm is a good target. Switching your Alk dosing to overnight night will help balance your PH swing a little bit too. Alk swings per day should stay within a 1.0 +/- range per 24hrs to avoid any stress. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing is very important with care of SPS. The best practice is to let your coral talk to you which is merely based on observation and test your parameters 1-2X a week. SPS do not have a great deal of forgiveness when they are stressed or unhappy Often they will quickly succumb to changes in parameters which cannot be seen hence the required water testing. The most important parameters are typically alkalinity and nitrates, followed by phosphates, calcium and magnesium. If you can keep alkalinity stable, everything else will likely be stable. an exact number for alkalinity is not as critical as keeping the number in a precise range. While SPS can do well with a dKh range of 7-12 . . . many reefers typically run their reef tanks somewhere near 8 dKh opposed to the past where higher numbers was the goal. Once you acquire a target alkalinity- Stay close to that target because SPS respond quickly and negatively to changes in alk.
Remember, alk affects calcium which affects Ph
I really appreciate this. I have been checking alk daily (probably too frequently), but have not actually changed the dosing and it typically lands in the range of 8.5-8.9.
I am a bit concerned that the pH is too low at night (APEX measured a 7.68 last night) and would really like to switch to Kalk drip/dose overnight to maintain more stability.
Any advice on how to implement this change without completely jacking up the alk during the transition?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salinity is 34.8 at the moment, i usually target 35.
M
y bad. my Ca is 375, a bit higher but still could stand to get it up to 400. I am using Tropic Marin Pro
Could b the salt. Many issues reported w tmpro. My calcium sometimes gets to 375 but I bump it back up. I dose 2part esv my target alk 8.5. I keep it there and test it daily to avoid swings

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell if it’s burnt tips or new growth.
If it is burnt tips Alk can be the issue in relation to your No3 level. The general rule
No3 under 5ppm Alk should be below 8. Your Alk level now should have No3 above 5ppm. 10pm is a good target. Switching your Alk dosing to overnight night will help balance your PH swing a little bit too. Alk swings per day should stay within a 1.0 +/- range per 24hrs to avoid any stress. Hope this helps.
It is very helpful. Thank you. Im getting the neonitro out of the cabinet as we speak...

If i were to switch from my current daytime 2Part to overnight Kalk drip, any advice with making the transition without messing up the alk too much?

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could b the salt. Many issues reported w tmpro. My calcium sometimes gets to 375 but I bump it back up. I dose 2part esv my target alk 8.5. I keep it there and test it daily to avoid swings
yeah i saw that about the salt and got worried about that too. I asked my LFS and they suggested that since the bucket was from Turkey i should be safe? Definitely crossed my mind tho.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back