Acropora Spathulata

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair warning, keeping one alive past a year is rare, and they require a tip top stable mature tank. And they will change color on you.

Yep, those are all the reasons I never bothered with 'em. Additionally, I've been told they like extremely high light -- More than my 6 bulb ATI puts out. That could be hog wash though.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had two stn after about a year. Color changed to a green too.
Def beyond my poor reef keeping skills.
Here's one that is 5mo old. It's about 6 in under a radion. Next to a gyre for full flow.

Spat.jpg

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this spath for about two yrs now. This is what it looked like after about a year, crappy pic under blue led.

Now it's a reddish pink with blue tips on all the new growth. I'd say it's easily 3/4" thick. The trick like most sps is keep it in consistent conditions and don't move it once it's there.

[/URL]

That is a fantastic specimen.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful specimens,guys!
Love the Spaths!! Never tried any though, I get irritated enough when I lose the common acros.
I've heard that Aussie acros in general are harder to keep than acros from other areas?

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this spath for about two yrs now. This is what it looked like after about a year, crappy pic under blue led.

Now it's a reddish pink with blue tips on all the new growth. I'd say it's easily 3/4" thick. The trick like most sps is keep it in consistent conditions and don't move it once it's there.

[/URL]
Bump
Just got a piece that I think is a spath. How are these looking now

Mine crappy phone photo
2BB72B8E-BF90-4FC5-81ED-B1BBC4306FFC.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that looks like a spath. I have not seen any colorful ones coming into the us recently, anyone else notice this? Seems like they are all green with pink tips at best. I miss the blue and purples and what not that we used to see a lot.
I have had a green and pink tip one for a while but it’s been mistreated recently so not pic worthy. I believe they need high light when coming into our tanks but can be acclimated to normal lighting eventually, I think getting them past the transition phase of a few months is key and lots of people fail there. Once they are growing I see no reason they would be different from other corals, other than maybe flow needing to be right with the thick branches it needs.

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea these are generally considered the hardest acros to keep long term. It's a shame though because they're one of my favorites and usually come in very colorful.

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that looks like a spath. I have not seen any colorful ones coming into the us recently, anyone else notice this? Seems like they are all green with pink tips at best. I miss the blue and purples and what not that we used to see a lot.
I have had a green and pink tip one for a while but it’s been mistreated recently so not pic worthy. I believe they need high light when coming into our tanks but can be acclimated to normal lighting eventually, I think getting them past the transition phase of a few months is key and lots of people fail there. Once they are growing I see no reason they would be different from other corals, other than maybe flow needing to be right with the thick branches it needs.
I agree that that’s what I’ve been seeing. This was more peach in the store. I have it in the highest point of rockwork close to a mp40

Monover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Spaths was like yours in the store, peach colour.
But after 3-4 months the colour was the green with pink tips.
Very nice Acro and for me, easy to keep.
IMG_20190428_191210.jpg

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Spaths was like yours in the store, peach colour.
But after 3-4 months the colour was the green with pink tips.
Very nice Acro and for me, easy to keep.
IMG_20190428_191210.jpg

You’ve stopped my heart in excitement. Hopeful for something like that lol. I like my greens and purps. I got this because of growth form personally.
Nice piece!

Monover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you words.
I am sure yours will be like mine or better.
They only need flow, light, more flow, more light and after this, more flow and light, lol.
And may be, a light spectrum more white than tipical in USA. Here in Europe we work with less blue and the aussie Acros love it.

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I’ll consider bumping up whites. I believe that flow isn’t a concern as I’m getting more than adequate movement and pumps are only at ~25%. I wonder how much I have to cater to the spath flow wise when it’s growth gets chunkier.

Thanks for you words.
I am sure yours will be like mine or better.
They only need flow, light, more flow, more light and after this, more flow and light, lol.
And may be, a light spectrum more white than tipical in USA. Here in Europe we work with less blue and the aussie Acros love it.

Back