Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain the weldon 40 2-part?
Weldon 40 two part consist of a part "a" acrylic monomer and part "b" a hardner.... It's very similiar to
Fiberglass resin and hardner if you ever worked with that.... It makes a super big mess but it gets the job done lol...
Pretty much since the regular hobbiest dont have a big oven to anneal it and get it to it's maximum strength I
Don't really recommend it.... Using 40 out of the bottle is no stronger than any solvent like 3 or 4 and a lot tougher to use... It for sure has it place but for you guys I would stick with solvents honestly it's more forgiving and way faster..;)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by any chance get the opportunity to dig up some pics to explain the pin method?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a demo video. many people might jump into this thinking i have all the tools, but using tools on wood and using them on plastic is 2 different things.

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have to route the edges so the weld on will work? Does it involve cutting or are you just sorta buffing the edges?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw cuts leave rough edges and lines in them that cause the solvent to bubble in all those little voids causing it to become unsightly and some times a weak seam... A properly routed edge finish is very smooth and makes gluing it
Up a breeze... I'll put it to you this way it takes a day Or 2 to prep a tank for gluing but only 45 seconds to glue a entire 120 gal tank lol...

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having a tough time getting the edges clean with router. I've got a triple fluted straight bit (at your recommendation). Should I have the speed as high as it will go? I've got a 28,000rpm router. Also are you using guard rails on your table or are you pretty much free-handing it?

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Lee you are the man. Thanks for sharing and teaching us your skills.
Now I just have to figure out what I'm gonna tell my wife when she see's the new toys lol.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i forgot to add this yesterday but this is a great quick reference for learning and understanding acrylic more and different ways of fabrication.... it's pretty long so here is a link to the pdf but it would answer a lot of questions for ya if im not around...lol
http://www.altumax.com/literature/pdf/134.pdf

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the capillary method (start up top and just let the glue run down and draw itself into the seam)? Its the method I use and it works well, just wondering if you do the same...

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an AWESOME thread. I was just about to ask for some help with this. I am looking at building a 72X30X30 acrylic tank. Reason is that i cant fit anything bigger than a 125 thru the door to my basement or the steps. So i was going to build one down there. Definately tagging along on this one. Thanks a bunch for sharing your wisdom :)

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All hail Troylee, we are not worthy, when you do finish and stick, can the thread be trimmed so the important info is easlily accessed, instead of reading the 10 other posts between the relevant info?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I could do that.... The one thing is I take this for granted it's a every day thing so I miss a bunch of little things and when you guys ask questions or need detailed info on something it makes it better for everyone reading this... I'll see if I can find a happy medium when I'm done..;)

ImageX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice on building a 48x24x20 tank i've built acrylic tanks before so assembling isnt a problem but was wondering if a center brace is needed i'd love to not have a center brace... the eurobrace is going to be 3"... is that going to be good enough without bowing?? or 4"?? i've done a 60x24x12 and it definitely needed a center brace found that out afterwards... that sucked.. that build i used 3/8" this tank i'm using 1/2" acrylic.. also another thing i'm going to be using a roundover bit on the corners what roundover bit should i use?? the 1/2" or smaller?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice on building a 48x24x20 tank i've built acrylic tanks before so assembling isnt a problem but was wondering if a center brace is needed i'd love to not have a center brace... the eurobrace is going to be 3"... is that going to be good enough without bowing?? or 4"?? i've done a 60x24x12 and it definitely needed a center brace found that out afterwards... that sucked.. that build i used 3/8" this tank i'm using 1/2" acrylic.. also another thing i'm going to be using a roundover bit on the corners what roundover bit should i use?? the 1/2" or smaller?
Gonna need a single brace in the center 3" min. With a 3" perimeter euro.... So it would yield 2 openings of 18x18 hth...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the easiest way way to drill acrylic Troylee ?

Up to 1-3/8" of a inch I use a unibit "step drill bit" for any thing larger I use a regular hole saw that can be found at any hardware store.... If you need a small hole you can use a regular drill bit but dull it out in the concrete first...
Also when drilling through thick acrylic 1/2"+ I like to use a mild soap solution in a squirt bottle for lube and to keep it cool while drilling.... One last thing very important!!!!! If you are using a cordless drill make sure the battery is charged if you stop or your battery dies while your drilling the acrylic will melt to the holesaw and your screwed..... Be careful with that always keep the drill spinning before pulling the holesaw out to prevent this.... Hth

mcmillion050804

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 1-3/8" of a inch I use a unibit "step drill bit" for any thing larger I use a regular hole saw that can be found at any hardware store.... If you need a small hole you can use a regular drill bit but dull it out in the concrete first...
Also when drilling through thick acrylic 1/2"+ I like to use a mild soap solution in a squirt bottle for lube and to keep it cool while drilling.... One last thing very important!!!!! If you are using a cordless drill make sure the battery is charged if you stop or your battery dies while your drilling the acrylic will melt to the holesaw and your screwed..... Be careful with that always keep the drill spinning before pulling the holesaw out to prevent this.... Hth
Gotcha thanks A+

torombolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, awsome thread!!!! Question, I might have missed it sorry, I bought 2 pieces of black acrylic to make a coast to coast OFB, they were cut by the shop so they are neet. should I use a weld-on#16 or what would you recomend? This is my first atemp at anythiong DIY.

Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back