Adding Actinic Blue ReefBars to Fluval Evo 13.5

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about experimenting with adding a couple Actinic Blue ReefBars to the stock Evo 13.5 lights. I wanted both lights connected to a Current USA Dual Ramp Timer, but the timer utilizes a shared 12-24v input. The Evo lights utilize a 1500mA 13.5VDC power supply and it's not large enough to add two 9w strips. I have read that others have tried a 12v power supply, but had a noticeable difference in light intensity.

Power supplies with a 13.5VDC output are not very common, but MeanWell makes all kinds and I have used a few of their power supplies in the past for projects and I was looking at this one here. If I can run these LED strips at 13.5v, then this MeanWell power supply would give me plenty of headroom and allow me to wire up all the lights on a single power supply. Am I overthinking this? I know that I could use two Single Ramp Timers, but going with the larger power supply and dual ramp would simplify programming and end up costing the same.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up putting those ReefBars under the EVO 13.5 stock hood and are they truly "waterproof"?
Reason why I ask is because I utilized IP67 Tru Lumens (which are similar) and they corroded out after a few months.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a 24v power supply then use a voltage step down regulator to set the desired voltage

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back