Adding Chaetomorpha to Live Rock Refugium

BlueWorldJeff

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
216
Reaction score
95
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my display is just three live rock pillars, I currently have a live rock section in my sump that is full or rock rubble.

37072375813_5101adceb3_k.jpg


The live rock section measures 10"W x 20" L x 7" D. Right now it just has live rock rubble and a backup thermometer.

37072312743_ea5b573cd6_k.jpg

37072311983_4cba7e2f22_k.jpg

23889876108_8cdea57d01_k.jpg


Not sure how much biological filtration it adds to the system, but there a bunch of copepods and such that like it in there.

I am thinking of adding chaetomorpha to that section to
1) stabilize my pH at night
2)take up some nutrients

I have a 65K grow light that i can stick over that section
37484646430_e7c0b0f551_k.jpg


Just wondering if I should add chaeto to the system. My NO3 has always been around 5ppm and my PO4 ranges from .07 to .16 without using GFO.

Should I clear out a section of live rock from the middle so the chaeto can tumble right in the middle? or should I clear out half of the rock closest to the wall which the light will be on?

Does it even need to tumble?

Good idea or no? I can put it on my apex to run opposite of the display lights.

is there any detriment to adding macroalgae if my tank is running fine as-is?
 
You can always move the rubble to one side or the other and add the chaeto as long as it’s thinned out regularly it doesn’t really need to tumble. Could help with ph and nutrients but why fix something that’s not broken?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new