adding DI filtration to existing RO System

Mr. Stooge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was hoping some of you could help me out with a little DIY project and to gain some more knowledge.

So I have an existing 5 stage RO system underneath my sink. from what i can see the black line is the waste water, red line is the water that feeds the system, the tank is the 3 gallon RO water container and the blue line feeds the drinking water faucet. However, the yellow line confuses me... i do not see anything else connecting to the tank other than that line so how does the tank get filled for storage and used to supply the blue line for the faucet? I verified that there are no other lines going to or from the tank. and all lines go behind the unit. I do not want to detach it from the sidewall unless i absolutely have to.

After that's all figured out, how would you go about adding a DI unit to this system so that i can make my own water? I have a basic knowlege of plumming but I have never handled an RO/DI unit let alone adding/converting an RO to an RO/DI and youtube hasn't been very helpful.

Thank you!

20200331_213006.jpg 20200331_213017.jpg 20200331_213103.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was hoping some of you could help me out with a little DIY project and to gain some more knowledge.

So I have an existing 5 stage RO system underneath my sink. from what i can see the black line is the waste water, red line is the water that feeds the system, the tank is the 3 gallon RO water container and the blue line feeds the drinking water faucet. However, the yellow line confuses me... i do not see anything else connecting to the tank other than that line so how does the tank get filled for storage and used to supply the blue line for the faucet? I verified that there are no other lines going to or from the tank. and all lines go behind the unit. I do not want to detach it from the sidewall unless i absolutely have to.

After that's all figured out, how would you go about adding a DI unit to this system so that i can make my own water? I have a basic knowlege of plumming but I have never handled an RO/DI unit let alone adding/converting an RO to an RO/DI and youtube hasn't been very helpful.

Thank you!

20200331_213006.jpg 20200331_213017.jpg 20200331_213103.jpg

The tank on your system is a pressurized tank and does not hold water but only air.

To add a DI filter, you'll buy another filter housing with the same hose size fittings on your system along with DI resin. You'll then attach the "out" line from your exisiting unit (line running to the drinking faucet) to the "in" on the newly added DI housing. Then you'll run the "out" line from the new housing to your "drinking faucet". If you wish to continue using your "drinking faucet" for supplying regular drinking water from your faucet you'll also want to add a bypass valve prior to the new DI housing. This will be done because RODI water is not recommended for drinking. Additionally, you'll want to add a TDS meter inline between the newly added DI housing and the "drinking faucet".

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Mr. Stooge

Mr. Stooge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank on your system is a pressurized tank and does not hold water but only air.

To add a DI filter, you'll buy another filter housing with the same hose size fittings on your system along with DI resin. You'll then attach the "out" line from your exisiting unit (line running to the drinking faucet) to the "in" on the newly added DI housing. Then you'll run the "out" line from the new housing to your "drinking faucet". If you wish to continue using your "drinking faucet" for supplying regular drinking water from your faucet you'll also want to add a bypass valve prior to the new DI housing. This will be done because RODI water is not recommended for drinking. Additionally, you'll want to add a TDS meter inline between the newly added DI housing and the "drinking faucet".

Hope this helps!
that pretty much answers everything!! Thank you very much!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that pretty much answers everything!! Thank you very much!

You're welcome and good luck with adding the new DI filter and TDS meter. With all that extra room in your cabinet, it looks like it will be a "fun" project. Lol

OP
OP
Mr. Stooge

Mr. Stooge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome and good luck with adding the new DI filter and TDS meter. With all that extra room in your cabinet, it looks like it will be a "fun" project. Lol
lol there should be enough room behind the garbage disposal to add something on the wall but just in case i will be going with a dual system. the triple might be a bit to big for the space that's available

OP
OP
Mr. Stooge

Mr. Stooge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These videos are very informative! However its a bit confusing with my system... The yellow line coming from the pressurized tank doesn't look like it has a T-joint.... It just goes behind the filters and then a blue line comes from behind the filters that goes to the faucet so the issue I'm seeing is where do I split off from to go to the DI unit I purchased?.... I guess I'll have to detach it from the wall to see what kind of connections are happening back there.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I would think you could just Tee off the line going to the facet. Add a couple of valves to control the flow.

What kind of waste water ratio are you getting on that RO?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back