Adding more tangs

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 fish only tank, no coral. Current stock is the following in order of when I added them

2 clowns
Melanurus wrasse
Coral beauty
Blue throat trigger
Foxface
4 green chromis
Emperor angel
Blue hippo
Gold rim
Blue eye bristletooth

looking to add:
4 lyretails (3 female 1 male)
2 wrasse (yellow coris / pintail fairy)
Powder blue tang (last)
Purple tang

Looking for advice on when and if I’d have any compatibility issues

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think you'll be fine, depending individual fish personalities.

those powder blues are STUNNING fish but they say to feed varied and heavy to prevent illnesses in them.

I always worry when doing introductions of new fish, so an acclimation box with magnets going into all areas of tank with new fish (top, bottom, left, right, etc) to ensure new fish will be accepted into all 'territories' has become my secret weapon. I use the Octo Shu box - this is my only photo of my box:
Sailfin trying to kill CBB 2021-07-04.JPG

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think you'll be fine, depending individual fish personalities.

those powder blues are STUNNING fish but they say to feed varied and heavy to prevent illnesses in them.

I always worry when doing introductions of new fish, so an acclimation box with magnets going into all areas of tank with new fish (top, bottom, left, right, etc) to ensure new fish will be accepted into all 'territories' has become my secret weapon. I use the Octo Shu box - this is my only photo of my box:
Sailfin trying to kill CBB 2021-07-04.JPG
Thank you - I do have an acclimation box haha I tried to add a yellow coris and he got pummeled by melanurus which I was surprised by. I’m really considering adding 3 tangs all at once with the lights out and hope for the best haha. They’re all juveniles because I wanted to watch them grow into the tank

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 fish only tank, no coral. Current stock is the following in order of when I added them

2 clowns
Melanurus wrasse
Coral beauty
Blue throat trigger
Foxface
4 green chromis
Emperor angel
Blue hippo
Gold rim
Blue eye bristletooth

looking to add:
4 lyretails (3 female 1 male)
2 wrasse (yellow coris / pintail fairy)
Powder blue tang (last)
Purple tang

Looking for advice on when and if I’d have any compatibility issues
The two tangs will likely clash somewhat. If it's sorta serious I'd suggest using a mirror to distract them and reduce stress. The powder blue need not stress because he's going to have to survive ich at least initially.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two tangs will likely clash somewhat. If it's sorta serious I'd suggest using a mirror to distract them and reduce stress. The powder blue need not stress because he's going to have to survive ich at least initially.
Yeah for sure, I figured. I’m running a UV and will heavily feed. My gold doesn’t have a care in the world to be honest but that could change. Hoping rock rearranging, lights off and adding a few at once will take the eyes off the blue

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your biggest worry is the Gold Rim. These are in the same complex as Powder Blue, Powder Brown and Achilles Tangs. In the wrasse world we recommend avoiding species of the same complex as they’ll clash and likely kill eachother. It’s hard to say who would survive out of the goldrim and powder blue without knowing how much territory you have in the tank, how big both tangs are (Small could be anything from 1 inch to 4/5 inch) as well as how long the Goldrim has been established.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your biggest worry is the Gold Rim. These are in the same complex as Powder Blue, Powder Brown and Achilles Tangs. In the wrasse world we recommend avoiding species of the same complex as they’ll clash and likely kill eachother. It’s hard to say who would survive out of the goldrim and powder blue without knowing how much territory you have in the tank, how big both tangs are (Small could be anything from 1 inch to 4/5 inch) as well as how long the Goldrim has been established.
Gold rim is about 3-3.5”, planning on similar size for PB. Gold rim will have only been in the tank about a month by the time I add the PB as well, adding more rock and rearranging rock right before I add them. Hoping it works, I know I may suffer a loss but I’ve seen a lot of success stories with others having numerous acanthurus in a tank together. My tank is 72x24x30

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure, I figured. I’m running a UV and will heavily feed. My gold doesn’t have a care in the world to be honest but that could change. Hoping rock rearranging, lights off and adding a few at once will take the eyes off the blue
I actually just added a purple to an existing blue and yellow. Both were pretty rough. Using the mirror though they would puff up to their reflection, especially the yellow. Three days later I took it out and they act like they've been together for years.

With new fish the blue always gets some ich. If it's more than a handful I will puree fresh garlic and marinade the frozen shrimp in it over night until it's gone. Some say it's nonsense but the fish are very healthy otherwise and need an extra 10%. I don't run UV so caution is needed.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just added a purple to an existing blue and yellow. Both were pretty rough. Using the mirror though they would puff up to their reflection, especially the yellow. Three days later I took it out and they act like they've been together for years.

With new fish the blue always gets some ich. If it's more than a handful I will puree fresh garlic and marinade the frozen shrimp in it over night until it's gone. Some say it's nonsense but the fish are very healthy otherwise and need an extra 10%. I don't run UV so caution is needed.
I don’t think I’d do a yellow and purple but I’ll definitely put the mirror on the gold and blue. Honestly I’m planning on putting all 3 new tangs in together at night after a day of heavy feeding (blonde naso, purple and powder blue) keep the lights off.

I use garlic guard; is purée fresh garlic better?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The mirror trick does wonders - I used it many times to resolve issues.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to do a large water change before you start feeding heavy? Good luck with the project.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to do a large water change before you start feeding heavy? Good luck with the project.
Yes, planning on doing a 40 gallon change, also running an oversized skimmer. I’m doing a 40 gallon change Thursday, then 2 weeks after planning to do another 40 and then I’ll feed heavy a day and add them.

any wrasse recommendations? My melanurus kinda pummeled a yellow coris, I have an acclimation box too so hopefully I can add a couple.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’d do a yellow and purple but I’ll definitely put the mirror on the gold and blue. Honestly I’m planning on putting all 3 new tangs in together at night after a day of heavy feeding (blonde naso, purple and powder blue) keep the lights off.

I use garlic guard; is purée fresh garlic better?
Sorry I just saw your question. I've read all sorts of things on the garlic direction. What I can say is the fresh garlic has seemed to help incrementally in the past. The reason for the fresh is the sulfur compound that is generally unstable. So processed varieties like garlic oil or garlic infused norie would have lower or insignificant quantities. I would just use a food processor bullet and keep in the fridge adding a dollop each feeding. Just watch the nitrates because it's an increase in nutrients.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

added a flame, blonde and a powder blue today.

PB is smaller than my gold, took a good amount of circling and chasing for about an hour or two, seems ok the rest of the evening.

flame and cb ignored each other for a little but then a few quarrels, and now my flame chases my cb, nothing bad just some light get out of here chasing.

as to be expected, nobody has bothered my blonde.

I fed heavy yesterday and had nori in the tank today, fed often today as well, also had a mirror on the tank.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Thanks for the update. The powder was risky, but I hope it works out for you.
Haha I know, he definitely took some good chasing from the gold, but seemed to calm after a couple hours and it was never more than circling and chasing. Well see how it goes today, by the end of the night my gold was acting normal just zipping around the tank as he normally does

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back