Adding reef brite to Kessils?

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running 2 Kessil 360x in AquaticLife T5 Hybrid. Does anyone know if ReefBrite has a mounting options for Kessil. I know on their site they are showing for Radion would great have a option for Kessil

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running 2 Kessil 360x in AquaticLife T5 Hybrid. Does anyone know if ReefBrite has a mounting options for Kessil. I know on their site they are showing for Radion would great have a option for Kessil
I sent them a email lets see if they respond

TyHiggin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 75-gallon setup with two Kessil A360X. I’ve been very happy with the lights but my acros are starting to grow and I’m already seeing some shading. Also, I’ve always thought the colors in general seemed a little washed out. I’ve been thinking of adding some actinic lights for a little more light and pop. Would reef brite xho actinic blue work well for this purpose?
03DC8EA6-65F8-4FDB-B8C7-C4BDDF719F91.jpeg
I just responded to another question about Kessil/reefbrite combo yesterday. hit the link

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal I was going to do the same but will see what them come back for you
@Dal-Reef I would send a email to them as well I think the more people that request it will help to show that there is a need for them. Out of all the lights out there I think Kessil needs the Par and spread help. So it makes sense. Lets see what they comback with

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS have these Aqua Life hybrid T5HO that im looking into. you can add additonal lights such as kessils, ecotech and hydra lights to them right in the center of them. Im looking into getting me a hybrid T5HO and adding the hydra 64. It fits right in between them. A perfect fit without additional hardware.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dal-Reef I would send a email to them as well I think the more people that request it will help to show that there is a need for them. Out of all the lights out there I think Kessil needs the Par and spread help. So it makes sense. Lets see what they comback with
Yep was already thinking that.. They need to know there a demand for them

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS have these Aqua Life hybrid T5HO that im looking into. you can add additonal lights such as kessils, ecotech and hydra lights to them right in the center of them. Im looking into getting me a hybrid T5HO and adding the hydra 64. It fits right in between them. A perfect fit without additional hardware.
I currently have that setup and love it. Would be nice not have to change out T5 bulbs. Also would like a cleaner setup. I have seen some ReefBrite on other tanks and look great. I want the same thing but instead of T5 I would want ReefBrite. Maybe AquaticLife would make a Hybrid with ReefBrite as an option.
20191019_093320.jpg
20191019_093419.jpg

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have that setup and love it. Would be nice not have to change out T5 bulbs. Also would like a cleaner setup. I have seen some ReefBrite on other tanks and look great. I want the same thing but instead of T5 I would want ReefBrite. Maybe AquaticLife would make a Hybrid with ReefBrite as an option.
20191019_093320.jpg
20191019_093419.jpg
Thats a sweet set up! How often do you change your T5 bulbs?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There isnt a light on the market that has the spread of the Kessil so that part is good. If you want to run fewer Kessils in favor of something cheaper for increased PAR, that is fair. Many people place the Kessils up too high (anything over 7" above the water line kills PAR and doesn't do much for coverage in my opinion). A 360X will spill light outside a 24" cube mounted just 2.75" above the tank (it has a very wide throw). That is too close to the water in my opinion and makes for a significant hotspot but I dont mount them more than 6" off the water (I don't have corals on the glass walls of the tank and couldn't care less what the PAR in those locations is).

Matteo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to add strip lighting I highly recommend going Hybrid and getting some T5 strips in there. Specifically for your stick growth too!

Either the aquaticlife kit which allows you to mount your kessils to it or you could get some sunblaster T5s and DIY mount them.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know of any tank mounts for reef brites on rimmed tanks? There doesnt seem to be any and ik thinking of adding some to help with some shadowing.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know of any tank mounts for reef brites on rimmed tanks? There doesnt seem to be any and ik thinking of adding some to help with some shadowing.
They do make legs which you can purchase separately. The legs fit onto the rim easily. Puts my reef brite about 4 inches above the water

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup... but reefbrites are good as a supplemental light... spectrum is...marginal.

Reef Brites have more blue spectrum than halides and I've seen ridiculous SPS tanks lit with nothing but the product. This is just product bashing with no merit.

Jay and Silent Bob over at BRS can push 400-440nm flat earth nonsense all they want because thats what it is, nonsense.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make legs which you can purchase separately. The legs fit onto the rim easily. Puts my reef brite about 4 inches above the water
You mean like these? Im jist trying to put one in front of my kessils since im getting some shadowing on the front part of my tank

Screenshot_20200822-235527_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20200822-235642_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReeferPat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses. So, I ended up adding one strip of actinic blue reef brite xho about two weeks ago. Obviously too early to say if there are any significant improvements but there is definitely better color pop for all the corals. I turned my Kessils down to max out at 60% instead of 90% and I will slowly ramp back up depending on how corals respond. Anecdotally, some LPS - especially euphyllias - appear to have more extension. Definitely better fluorescence out of acros and montis. So far I’m really liking the effect, other than my janky DIY hanging solution.
E432073C-C9C6-4A5B-8EB6-D77129F602A4.jpeg
E432073C-C9C6-4A5B-8EB6-D77129F602A4.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back