Adding Wrasses with old Mandarin?

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've upgraded from a 90 gallon to a 262 gallon.

My Spotted Mandarin has been in my 90 for 6 years. He eats pretty much any type of pellet that sinks to the sand. He has lived off Seaweed Extreme pellets primarily.

I have tons of pods covering my glass if I don't scrub the glass down for a couple days.

Is it a bad idea to add a wrasse? I know he eats pellets but I have no way of really knowing how substantial his pod feasting is throughout the day.

Is there any wrasses that you all would recommend for this scenario?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally run 260 gal tank should have plenty of pods for mandarin and wrasses. I would not added 6 line wrasse or wrasses in that Genus but other reef safe wrasses would be fine. I had a pair of Six line attacked and blinded my female Mandarin and then leave her to starve. All 4 fish, Sixline pair and mandarin pair were in a thriving 400 gal tank. All fat and doing well. Since this event six line wrasse only get into my tank over my dead body.
Right now I have a Mandarin pair in my 320 DT with a numbers of wrasse and angels

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally run 260 gal tank should have plenty of pods for mandarin and wrasses. I would not added 6 line wrasse or wrasses in that Genus but other reef safe wrasses would be fine. I had a pair of Six line attacked and blinded my female Mandarin and then leave her to starve. All 4 fish, Sixline pair and mandarin pair were in a thriving 400 gal tank. All fat and doing well. Since this event six line wrasse only get into my tank over my dead body.
Right now I have a Mandarin pair in my 320 DT with a numbers of wrasse and angels

Which Wrasses would you recommend specifically?

I don't know much at all about Wrasses!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a numbers in of beautiful wrasses in the Flasher and Fairy wrasses that are water column feeder and not food competitors to mandarin. Look at the sticky threat on reefsafe wrasse and the thread on Fairy wrasse above.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want help with pod eating A Halichoeres Wrasse (ie Yellow, Red Lined) would be the best choice. They also can provide pest removal services. If you are getting pods covering your tank every couple of days, I would say you have more than enough for the mandarin. The Yellow and Red Lined are also well behaved community fish.

heniochus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a target mandarin with about 5 other fairy wrasses in a 100 gallon They don’t ever compete for food outside of pellet.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS that adding a six line in with my mandarin would be ok, with in 1 hour the wrasse had ripped the dorsal fin off of the mandarin, spent the next few hours draining the tank and removing the rock to get the wrasse out.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species won't present any real competition for pods, and are likely your best bets here.
I don't know much at all about Wrasses!
Here's a good place to start ;):
I like the Marble/Checkerboard wrasse. I think I will add that to my list.
Eh, a bigger species, and pretty pushy once mature. It's a Halichoeres species that's pretty borderline for a reef tank.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species won't present any real competition for pods, and are likely your best bets here.

Here's a good place to start ;):

Eh, a bigger species, and pretty pushy once mature. It's a Halichoeres species that's pretty borderline for a reef tank.

Ha! Just posted in your thread!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back