Advice for shipping anemones?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm preparing to ship a Condylactis anemone about 400 miles to south Florida this weekend/next week. I'm pretty sure I've got it down, but I would like to know any tips on shipping anemones short distances as this is my first time shipping livestock.
Here's what I've found out over my research:

-Pack in an insulated foam box, preferably inside a carboard box for strength
-Include proper heating/cooling apparatus (ice packs in my case)
-Deflate the nem before packing
-Choose a 1-2 day shipping unit
-Make sure there are plenty of labels outside (this side up, live animals, etc)

Now what I'm wondering is if there is anything to expect, or any special procedures I need to take at the post office. From what I can find it doesn't seem like it but if there are any things I need to sign or extra things to fill out then it would be fantastic if you could let me know.

Thank you all so much, have a nice day and God bless!

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the USPS can be particular about shipping anything marked 'live animals' as they have regulations on that, don't put any writing on it, just ship it. they will normally ask you if it contains anything 'Fragile, Liquid, Perishable or potentially hazardous materials' it's up to you to answer with liquid.......... as far as 'this end up' or any other lable, not a chance in hell of any shipper giving any consideration to such so it's a waste of time and ink.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pretty much having everything down but another thing do is to double or trip bag the livestock for extra protection.
As for special procedures when taking it to drop it off there is none unfortunately, they don’t care if it’s alive and need to be rushed.

do NOT ship with usps go with fedex and ups

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to send anything live through the post office. I had a driver awhile back throwing packages over my fence as she drove down the road instead of driving down the drive way and delivering to the house

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious so I have to ask: why are you sending a Condy to Florida? They're so ubiquitous there!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious so I have to ask: why are you sending a Condy to Florida? They're so ubiquitous there!
I'm pretty sure the person I'm sending it to collects them, so I would assume he just doesn't have this variety. We met over a reefing Discord server, so it's a really chill exchange without super high stakes. Obviously I want it to get there alive, but I'm not going to be tracked down if it doesn't make it.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really have two choices: with water and without water. I've seen it done both ways. Lots of wholesalers ship anemones "dry" which means that they're shipped with just enough water to keep them wet. Not only does it save on shipping costs, but one of the supposed benefits is that if there's no water to foul up, the nem can't do it. The other option is to ship in water, and if these option is chosen, then you should ship it with A LOT more water than you'd normal ship a fish with. The assumption here is that if the anemone is going to foul up the water, there's a lot more water to be diluted.

I'm not sure how you plan to deflate the anemone, but it may not be necessary. Just don't feed it for a couple of weeks prior to shipping. The last thing you want it to do is regurgitate a meal in the shipping bag.

Back