Advice needed - Return pump selection!

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I have had a 20-gallon long aquarium running for a few months now and I need advice on selecting a good return pump for my setup!

I currently have a Tidal 55 HOB filter and will be switching to a sump here in the future as I'm moving my aquarium from my office to my living room and want a "cleaner" look. For my external (HOB) overflow I will be going with a CPR Aquatics Deluxe CS102 Overflow, a 10 gallon aquarium, the DIY Fiji Cube 10 Gallon Baffle Kit, and soft plumbing. I'm just really stuck on the return pump ... I'm not very knowledgeable in that area as I've never had a sump before. I would appreciate ANY and ALL advice!

Also, do I NEED mechanical filtration? I only ask before the DIY sump with the Fiji Cube Baffle Kit does not come with anywhere to put filter socks or filter socks.

Thanks!!

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce Syncras are my go to return pump. You need 3 - 5 turnover, so depending on your height(head pressure), a syncra 1.0 would probably work. You do not need mechanical filtration. Filter socks are nice to keep the water clear, but in a 20 gallon you'd probably never notice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce Syncras are my go to return pump. You need 3 - 5 turnover, so depending on your height(head pressure), a syncra 1.0 would probably work. You do not need mechanical filtration. Filter socks are nice to keep the water clear, but in a 20 gallon you'd probably never notice.
I was looking at Sicce Syncras, as I've used Sicce for my freshwater tanks, and I really wanted to stay below $200. It's nice to know a pump about a quarter of that budget will work! As far as head pressure, it's absolutely no more than 3.5 / 4 feet.

I'm glad to hear I don't NEED mechanical filtration as I was thinking about just running a skimmer in chamber 1, a 'fuge in chamber 2, and chamber 3 being the return chamber. Does that sound reasonable? If so, do you have any recommendations on skimmers? My plan with the tank is to house 2 clowns and a mandarin dragonet, when I build up the pod population, and corals. Basically, a coral collection with 3 fish.

Upvote 0

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran tanks setup just like that for years, nothing wrong with that.

I like bubble magus skimmers. Good price/quality ratio. The curve 3 I think is there smallest, which might be just right for a 20 gal.

Upvote 0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to all of the above. As far as the mandarin goes I'd get a very small one and attempt to rehome it if it looks starved. They really eat alot of pods.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to all of the above. As far as the mandarin goes I'd get a very small one and attempt to rehome it if it looks starved. They really eat alot of pods.
I absolutely will! I was thinking or a mandarin but honestly I'm not sure if I will even get one. I would rather not get one than to risk it slowly starving on me. I may just wait until I upgrade tanks and can ensure a healthy populations of pods!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran tanks setup just like that for years, nothing wrong with that.

I like bubble magus skimmers. Good price/quality ratio. The curve 3 I think is there smallest, which might be just right for a 20 gal.
I really appreciate all of your advice! Also, I need an aqualifter to ensure continuous siphon, correct? I promise I don't have many more questions LOL! Lastly, are these a relatively silent setup? I don't mind a little humming, I just don't want it to sound like Niagara Falls under my tank in the living room LOL!

Upvote 0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely will! I was thinking or a mandarin but honestly I'm not sure if I will even get one. I would rather not get one than to risk it slowly starving on me. I may just wait until I upgrade tanks and can ensure a healthy populations of pods!
I would wait for a larger tank aswell.
I really appreciate all of your advice! Also, I need an aqualifter to ensure continuous siphon, correct? I promise I don't have many more questions LOL! Lastly, are these a relatively silent setup? I don't mind a little humming, I just don't want it to sound like Niagara Falls under my tank in the living room LOL!
I would attempt to find a different setup if possible. Something pre drilled with an overflow or an all in one tank. The headache of a siphon is just a pain its like a monkey on your back. I know I have a lfs that drills tanks and setups overflows if your not comfortable drilling the tank yourself you could try that. Its literally so much nicer. (You can't drill tempered glass fyi)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for a larger tank aswell.

I would attempt to find a different setup if possible. Something pre drilled with an overflow or an all in one tank. The headache of a siphon is just a pain its like a monkey on your back. I know I have a lfs that drills tanks and setups overflows if your not comfortable drilling the tank yourself you could try that. Its literally so much nicer. (You can't drill tempered glass fyi)
I would love to find another setup, but that’s just not currently in the plans or budget.

Upvote 0

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late, but I would also consider an Eheim 1250, maybe even a 1048 if the head is low. A little more expensive than the Sicce, but very reliable and within your budget. The only problem I have had with the Sicce Syncra is with external applications. The seals on the 1.0 and 1.5 would leak on me. I like to run pumps externally to minimize heat input.

You could also go with the very small Pan World or Iwaki pumps if external (like an Iwaki 15). Very reliable but more expensive.

For such a low flow, I would not go DC. Very little power savings in such a small flow for a lot of extra cost and less reliability

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back