Advice on nano skimmer

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for a skimmer for my Fijicube 32G AIO. Been looking at a few skimmers and want to get some advice. Thanks in advance!

Build Info:
- Fijicube 32g AIO.
- Plan to have medium-heavy bioload
- Chamber size for skimmer:
1. skimmer compartment: 3.94"x4.87". or
2. return pump Compartment: 3.94"x8.66"

requirements:
- quiet
- skim performance/handle heavy bio load
- easy to adjust
- easy to clean
- hangs securely
- collection cup drain preferred
- size. would prefer to use the 3.94"x4.87" compartment. But will consider using the return pump compartment.

These are the skimmers I'm considering:

Fiji Cube nsk-70

Icecap K1-50

iceCap Nano

Simple Deluxe

Marine Color RDC150

Aquamaxx-ws-1

Thanks!

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what's the difference between Icecap K1-50 and Icecap Nano? Is it just a smaller version?
From pictures look like K1-50 is higher quality

Last edited:

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd avoid the RDC 150. not sure if i got really unlucky but both the original pump and a replacement pump plus a replacement needle wheel sent from the company had issues with heavy vibrations.

The acrylic body was pretty nice though.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not in your list, but avoid any Innovative Marine skimmers like the plague. The pumps stop working every 2-3 months (requiring replacement), the collection cup design is impossible to clean and the thing constantly leaks/overflows.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what's the difference between Icecap K1-50 and Icecap Nano? Is it just a smaller version?
From pictures look like K1-50 is higher quality

did more research last night. may go with one of the icecap skimmers

- K1-50 is larger "in-sump" skimmer, and comes with mounting bracket for OPTIONALLY mounting on AIO back chambers(rated 40-80gallon).
- K1 nano is smaller skimmer specifically for nano(rated 10-30gallon)

The tank is 32G and will be medium-heavy bio load. I'm worried the k1-nano will not be able to handle the load, so I'm leaning more towards the K1-50. However is it bad to run a skimmer rated too high for your aquarium size?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too much skimmer. Worst-case scenario you increase your O2 levels and don’t have to empty it as often... If the K1-50 will fit, for $40 more I’d go with that.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too much skimmer. Worst-case scenario you increase your O2 levels and don’t have to empty it as often... If the K1-50 will fit, for $40 more I’d go with that.
Thanks! that's what I thought. Sounds like a good upgrade for $40 for the extra skimming power, and waste drain.
Yeah it should fit. Only negative about K1-50 is that it's a tall skimmer, and might stick out 8-9 inches from the top of the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! that's what I thought. Sounds like a good upgrade for $40 extra. Yeah it should fit. Only negative about K1-50 is that it's a tall skimmer, and might stick out 8-9 inches from the top of the tank.
On the flip side, you’ll have a larger collection cup - so the likelihood of it overflowing is far less and you won’t have to empty it out near as often.

Or just get a bigger tank with a separate in-stand sump. ;)

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the flip side, you’ll have a larger collection cup - so the likelihood of it overflowing is far less and you won’t have to empty it out near as often.

Or just get a bigger tank with a separate in-stand sump. ;)
I've flooded rooms from sump pipes leaking on my other tanks with sump, so wife won't let me have a sump for this new tank since it's in the living room and we've just renovated;).

Nano skimmer choices are so limited...

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the aquamaxx nf-1 in my 28g nanocube and I love it. It’s silent, no micro bubbles, is easy to adjust/dial in, and pulls out a lot of skimmate. I am running mine slightly wet (I’m carbon dosing), and get a full cup of dark tea colored skimmate every day. The only downside is that the cup is kind of small and needs to be emptied frequently (though you could probably do it once every few days or once a week if you ran it dryer). It will fit in either of the chambers you mentioned. It’s by far the best nano skimmer I’ve ever used.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the aquamaxx nf-1 in my 28g nanocube and I love it. It’s silent, no micro bubbles, is easy to adjust/dial in, and pulls out a lot of skimmate. I am running mine slightly wet (I’m carbon dosing), and get a full cup of dark tea colored skimmate every day. The only downside is that the cup is kind of small and needs to be emptied frequently (though you could probably do it once every few days or once a week if you ran it dryer). It will fit in either of the chambers you mentioned. It’s by far the best nano skimmer I’ve ever used.
Thanks I was looking at this one as well. Aquamaxx all comes with Sicce pump which is a bonus. I did have concerns about the size since it is only rated for 30gallons light load

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's not in your list, but avoid any Innovative Marine skimmers like the plague. The pumps stop working every 2-3 months (requiring replacement), the collection cup design is impossible to clean and the thing constantly leaks/overflows.
Ha, just started a thread for alternatives because I keep having to change the pump, 100% agree with your review.

feresadas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good skimmer. but it is too big for my 30G tank with medium load. It should work better for a 50G+ tank. For smaller tanks I would recommend K1-Nano(I have both).
Thanks for the update! I am starting my tank this month. decided to start without a skimmer, as I only hope to keep 3 fish and I think I will be ok with out it for now. but eventually would like to add one to reduce the water change requirements.

I will keep this in mind as it fits perfectly in the AIO I ordered.

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! I am starting my tank this month. decided to start without a skimmer, as I only hope to keep 3 fish and I think I will be ok with out it for now. but eventually would like to add one to reduce the water change requirements.

I will keep this in mind as it fits perfectly in the AIO I ordered.
More skimmer options.

I have a Fiji Cube 32 AIO and using the old Cadlight Elite 2 that is hung on, instead of sitting on the bottom of the tank. It sticks out; so, I can see how the bubbling water gets skimmed and for easy access to skimming adjustment if necessary. Extremely quiet and efficient. I highly recommend the skimmer.

The "NEW" Cadlight Elite 2 is similar to MagTool Nano skimmer that is selling at almost half price of the Cadlight on Amazon.

Just cleaned the skimmer the night before taking the photo
IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

Last edited:
Back