Advice on nano skimmer

BRS

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
looking for a skimmer for my Fijicube 32G AIO. Been looking at a few skimmers and want to get some advice. Thanks in advance!

Build Info:
- Fijicube 32g AIO.
- Plan to have medium-heavy bioload
- Chamber size for skimmer:
1. skimmer compartment: 3.94"x4.87". or
2. return pump Compartment: 3.94"x8.66"

requirements:
- quiet
- skim performance/handle heavy bio load
- easy to adjust
- easy to clean
- hangs securely
- collection cup drain preferred
- size. would prefer to use the 3.94"x4.87" compartment. But will consider using the return pump compartment.

These are the skimmers I'm considering:

Fiji Cube nsk-70

Icecap K1-50

iceCap Nano

Simple Deluxe

Marine Color RDC150

Aquamaxx-ws-1

Thanks!

Maxout

blaxsun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's not in your list, but avoid any Innovative Marine skimmers like the plague. The pumps stop working every 2-3 months (requiring replacement), the collection cup design is impossible to clean and the thing constantly leaks/overflows.

Fritz
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Also what's the difference between Icecap K1-50 and Icecap Nano? Is it just a smaller version?
From pictures look like K1-50 is higher quality

did more research last night. may go with one of the icecap skimmers

- K1-50 is larger "in-sump" skimmer, and comes with mounting bracket for OPTIONALLY mounting on AIO back chambers(rated 40-80gallon).
- K1 nano is smaller skimmer specifically for nano(rated 10-30gallon)

The tank is 32G and will be medium-heavy bio load. I'm worried the k1-nano will not be able to handle the load, so I'm leaning more towards the K1-50. However is it bad to run a skimmer rated too high for your aquarium size?

blaxsun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You can never have too much skimmer. Worst-case scenario you increase your O2 levels and don’t have to empty it as often... If the K1-50 will fit, for $40 more I’d go with that.

OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You can never have too much skimmer. Worst-case scenario you increase your O2 levels and don’t have to empty it as often... If the K1-50 will fit, for $40 more I’d go with that.
Thanks! that's what I thought. Sounds like a good upgrade for $40 for the extra skimming power, and waste drain.
Yeah it should fit. Only negative about K1-50 is that it's a tall skimmer, and might stick out 8-9 inches from the top of the tank.

blaxsun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks! that's what I thought. Sounds like a good upgrade for $40 extra. Yeah it should fit. Only negative about K1-50 is that it's a tall skimmer, and might stick out 8-9 inches from the top of the tank.
On the flip side, you’ll have a larger collection cup - so the likelihood of it overflowing is far less and you won’t have to empty it out near as often.

Or just get a bigger tank with a separate in-stand sump. ;)

OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
On the flip side, you’ll have a larger collection cup - so the likelihood of it overflowing is far less and you won’t have to empty it out near as often.

Or just get a bigger tank with a separate in-stand sump. ;)
I've flooded rooms from sump pipes leaking on my other tanks with sump, so wife won't let me have a sump for this new tank since it's in the living room and we've just renovated;).

Nano skimmer choices are so limited...

Corals.com

MaxTremors

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m using the aquamaxx nf-1 in my 28g nanocube and I love it. It’s silent, no micro bubbles, is easy to adjust/dial in, and pulls out a lot of skimmate. I am running mine slightly wet (I’m carbon dosing), and get a full cup of dark tea colored skimmate every day. The only downside is that the cup is kind of small and needs to be emptied frequently (though you could probably do it once every few days or once a week if you ran it dryer). It will fit in either of the chambers you mentioned. It’s by far the best nano skimmer I’ve ever used.

OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m using the aquamaxx nf-1 in my 28g nanocube and I love it. It’s silent, no micro bubbles, is easy to adjust/dial in, and pulls out a lot of skimmate. I am running mine slightly wet (I’m carbon dosing), and get a full cup of dark tea colored skimmate every day. The only downside is that the cup is kind of small and needs to be emptied frequently (though you could probably do it once every few days or once a week if you ran it dryer). It will fit in either of the chambers you mentioned. It’s by far the best nano skimmer I’ve ever used.
Thanks I was looking at this one as well. Aquamaxx all comes with Sicce pump which is a bonus. I did have concerns about the size since it is only rated for 30gallons light load

Maxout

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's not in your list, but avoid any Innovative Marine skimmers like the plague. The pumps stop working every 2-3 months (requiring replacement), the collection cup design is impossible to clean and the thing constantly leaks/overflows.
Ha, just started a thread for alternatives because I keep having to change the pump, 100% agree with your review.

BRS

Do you quarantine new coral before adding it to your reef tank?

• YES always

Votes: 79 18.1%
  • Sometimes depending (tell us why)

Votes: 52 11.9%
  • NO never

Votes: 293 67.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.8%
Neptune