ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my question is quarantine cuc members
Shrimp/snails/hermits etc or do not ?
I have just finished cycling my qt tank which is 54 litres which is roughly 15 us gallons i believe and going to do 100%water change and add fish shortly.
Main dt tank close to finishing cycling.
And will qt all fish that i get and later down line will be buying another small tank to qt corals.
Some believe it not nessesary to qt fish or corals which is cool but i would like to be as careful as i can not to introduce anything that i dont want in dt and have major headache trying to get rid of some persisent hard as nails pest etc.but just little confused on should i qt cuc members or not but then thinking if dont qt everything that goes into dt then qt 90% and introduce 0 pests but dont qt cuc members then introduce some fish parasite and all other qt just pointless ( to some degree)

Pros=observe and see if any parasite /tomments i think they called are attached or undesrible algae on snail shells etc.

Cons=to much stress on the cuc members and may perish.
Low %chance of introducing undesribles into display tank so pointless to quarantine cuc.
So any thoughts would be appreciated and hello all and hope your day going good for you ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add i know probably lots more pros and cons to qt or not to qt but question was getting bit long so decided just to say any thoughts ha ha

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my question is quarantine cuc members
Shrimp/snails/hermits etc or do not ?
I have just finished cycling my qt tank which is 54 litres which is roughly 15 us gallons i believe and going to do 100%water change and add fish shortly.
Main dt tank close to finishing cycling.
And will qt all fish that i get and later down line will be buying another small tank to qt corals.
Some believe it not nessesary to qt fish or corals which is cool but i would like to be as careful as i can not to introduce anything that i dont want in dt and have major headache trying to get rid of some persisent hard as nails pest etc.but just little confused on should i qt cuc members or not but then thinking if dont qt everything that goes into dt then qt 90% and introduce 0 pests but dont qt cuc members then introduce some fish parasite and all other qt just pointless ( to some degree)

Pros=observe and see if any parasite /tomments i think they called are attached or undesrible algae on snail shells etc.

Cons=to much stress on the cuc members and may perish.
Low %chance of introducing undesribles into display tank so pointless to quarantine cuc.
So any thoughts would be appreciated and hello all and hope your day going good for you ^_^
applaud your care & admitting right up front not as careful as you

concerned if (both!) just finished cycling, what will CUC "clean up" aka eat... fear starvation if you are considering CUC this early in setup ... but if you are asking well down the line and there will be food for them, then don't see any harm (but I'd scrub snail shells then toss in DT... but again, I'm not as careful as you... and I've paid for it... still paying <wink>)

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah cuc will be aquired further down the line and would think i need to buy that other qt tank i mentioned for corals but use it for qt the cuc first and keep that tank for cuc/inverts/corals .
Just trying to get plan in my head of what steps to do and when to do them and this qt the cuc or not isnt fitting into my plan in my head/paper .
Btw this my first reef tank and i think the fear factor of reading so many articles and videos on not qt their animals and had major problems has made me get such a clear plan together to make my reefing as easy as can be ( i know will encounter problems as researching is great but it never as good as experiencing and living it.
My 2 local lfs say to me that qt fish is counter productive as just stresses the fish out and more chance of dying and one lfs on the subject of qt corals so dont get say aiptasia they just said dont bother qt as you will just get aiptasia sooner or later so just accept it basically but i think with the methods of qt corals and to kill/eradicate pests first is viable ( but we shall see if i can manage to pull it off or not )
Yeah scrubbing snail shells good option.
I think my main concern is if torrents of ich can attach to say a cleaner shrimp and then go in the dt after qt then bingo ich in tank or is this even a regular occurence i do not know.
And even if did or does then what the procudere ?
Wait till shrimp molts then move shrimp to dt straight away if qt time if shrimp is done
Maybe im over thinking this little part of my planning ha ha.
Been in fresh water years now and maybe 5 different tanks and never qt any fish and lost maybe 6 fish in 9 years ( usually 1st morning i wake up after purchased fish ) but anyway tyvm for reply.
What are you paying for ? What went wrong or still going wrong ? Not qt and got pests?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i need to start getting to the point and not write big essays lol.
I apoligise but seem to cant help it and want to say clearly as i can but gets into essay style so need to look at that ^_^

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah cuc will be aquired further down the line and would think i need to buy that other qt tank i mentioned for corals but use it for qt the cuc first and keep that tank for cuc/inverts/corals .
Just trying to get plan in my head of what steps to do and when to do them and this qt the cuc or not isnt fitting into my plan in my head/paper .
Btw this my first reef tank and i think the fear factor of reading so many articles and videos on not qt their animals and had major problems has made me get such a clear plan together to make my reefing as easy as can be ( i know will encounter problems as researching is great but it never as good as experiencing and living it.
My 2 local lfs say to me that qt fish is counter productive as just stresses the fish out and more chance of dying and one lfs on the subject of qt corals so dont get say aiptasia they just said dont bother qt as you will just get aiptasia sooner or later so just accept it basically but i think with the methods of qt corals and to kill/eradicate pests first is viable ( but we shall see if i can manage to pull it off or not )
I think my main concern is if torrents of ich can attach to say a cleaner shrimp and then go in the dt after qt then bingo ich in tank or is this even a regular occurence i do not know.
Wait till shrimp molts then move shrimp to dt straight away if qt time if shrimp is done
Been in fresh water years now and maybe 5 different tanks and never qt any fish and lost maybe 6 fish in 9 years ( usually 1st morning i wake up after purchased fish ) but anyway tyvm for reply.
What are you paying for ? What went wrong or still going wrong ? Not qt and got pests?

Stick with your current thoughts and dont listen to an LFS that says not to QT in my opinion. I know with fish some people dont QT and use more of a disease management approach if they get it and that is fine if they want i just dont want to deal with managing any disease. The QT process in itself probably does add additional stress...however the QT is not so much to benefit the 1 or 2 new fish i bought, but rather the tank full of established healthy fish i already have.

As for corals i understand what he is saying about aiptasia, but again completely disagree with a good QT in place. I have an active tank with frequent new additions and stayed aiptasia free for 3 years(its actually almost 6 years now but for a few years in the middle i was not adding coral or rock so dont count that). In any case as much as i hate aiptasia i would say that is near the bottom of the list of concerns...monti nudis, zoa nudis, aefw, red bugs, zoa spiders, pyramid snails and others can all devastate a tank. Aiptasia is just an annoyance in comparison.

As for inverts i do QT mine. Snails is only inverts i use so give their shell a good scrubbing and stick them in QT. I take a piece of rock rubble i keep in refugium of DT that i get full of algae and place in there to feed them

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what i mainly thinking just scrub snail shells and quarantine and was worried what they eat in sterile qt tank so great idea of piece rubble full of algae which i got 0 algae anywhere at moment but in time when it comes to it that piece of rubble so simple a little thing to do but never thought of it but my head over loaded with so much information on so many subjects ^_^
Ummm ok so qt snails/scrubb their shell and algae on rocks.
Shrimps and hermit crabs straight in dt tank you saying you do ?
Or scrub hermit crabs shells also .
Thankyou both for your replys btw.
Well so far 1st question and got a nice little suggestion on rock rubble and 2 reefers ways so great stuff thanks

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what i mainly thinking just scrub snail shells and quarantine and was worried what they eat in sterile qt tank so great idea of piece rubble full of algae which i got 0 algae anywhere at moment but in time when it comes to it that piece of rubble so simple a little thing to do but never thought of it but my head over loaded with so much information on so many subjects ^_^
Ummm ok so qt snails/scrubb their shell and algae on rocks.
Shrimps and hermit crabs straight in dt tank you saying you do ?
Or scrub hermit crabs shells also .
Thankyou both for your replys btw.
Well so far 1st question and got a nice little suggestion on rock rubble and 2 reefers ways so great stuff thanks

No problem. I just was saying i dont use crabs or shrimp. If i did i would qt those also. I am a bit obsessed about qt nothing goes in my tank without it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hindsight is always 20/20... QT/QT/QT is way to go... I'll be using TSM Aquatics for fish going forward

I bought a used tank... it should have been a red flag when I heard 'running ultra low nutrient' system as he was trying to keep something(s) controlled. Lately suspect sand was not cleaned properly initially based on cloud I had during move. Also BF didn't dip corals in beginning, even once I got dip and set so always seen if looking at tank. Got bubble and other types of algaes, been dosing Vibrant since what feels like forever and had 3 weeks of Reef Flux for bryopsis algae mixed in on top. Got an aiptasia, so got peppermint shrimp but wrasse that came with tank ate. Punished wrasse to dungeon (sump) and added more peppermint shrimp in case more aiptasia. Suddenly flat worms appeared. These I think came with the tank, but because of wrasse didn't know. Wrasse got early parole (with plan if ate replacement peppermints then next peppermint shrimp try would be grow them bigger in sump). Sucked worms for while until 2 weeks of back to back salifert worm eXit treatments.

Vibrant killing the nuisance algaes released their phosphates back into tank, Vibrant also wiped out my macroalgaes so they stopped helping with phosphates. Also didn't realize Hanna ULT phosphorus checker readings meant my high phosphates were 3x higher than I knew (phosporus multiply by 3 for phosphate then divide by 100 to change ppm/ppb) Found Phosphate Rx and dosed same night as started Reef Flux causing my yellow tang nearly die so yellow tang went to QT from treatment so now I treat only 10 drops for my 180g+20g sump. (and will never have yellow tang in tank for Reef Flux treatment)

I did get a copperband butterfly that wasn't eating so on advise of LFS moved earlier than planned from QT to DT, then DT got ich. Yellow tang is among my fish, so prayer and frequent siphoning to break cycle was my only treatment (did get an additional neon blue goby cleaner for tangs but they don't really 'cure' marine ich)

I should have not listened to LFS about trying to save copperband butterfly (which died), followed by 'get happy' gift LN butterfly from BF that tangs killed (now better on acclimation using SHU so territories introduced, too), followed by blue tang that died as my salinity checker was defective.

Moral on story: QT, QT, QT! Should have dipped corals from beginning (and maybe even take off plug from store or use peroxide on plug) ... which is why I applaud your QT plans! Don't follow my path <wink> Now, moratorium on fish & corals... though I go back East next week for 2+ weeks for family matter and I'm scared what my BF may buy and how may introduce while I'm gone

Now I think the peppermint shrimp are eating my hammer corals but they've learned how to hide from wrasse... but if I had dipped/QTd corals, never would have had aiptasia and never would have gotten CBB fish that introduced ich or have gotten peppermint shrimp (which sometimes also eat RBTAs which I also have)

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I just was saying i dont use crabs or shrimp. If i did i would qt those also. I am a bit obsessed about qt nothing goes in my tank without it.
[/QUOTE]

Ok misunderstood.ok stick to qt plan

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hindsight is always 20/20... QT/QT/QT is way to go... I'll be using TSM Aquatics for fish going forward

I bought a used tank... it should have been a red flag when I heard 'running ultra low nutrient' system as he was trying to keep something(s) controlled. Lately suspect sand was not cleaned properly initially based on cloud I had during move. Also BF didn't dip corals in beginning, even once I got dip and set so always seen if looking at tank. Got bubble and other types of algaes, been dosing Vibrant since what feels like forever and had 3 weeks of Reef Flux for bryopsis algae mixed in on top. Got an aiptasia, so got peppermint shrimp but wrasse that came with tank ate. Punished wrasse to dungeon (sump) and added more peppermint shrimp in case more aiptasia. Suddenly flat worms appeared. These I think came with the tank, but because of wrasse didn't know. Wrasse got early parole (with plan if ate replacement peppermints then next peppermint shrimp try would be grow them bigger in sump). Sucked worms for while until 2 weeks of back to back salifert worm eXit treatments.

Vibrant killing the nuisance algaes released their phosphates back into tank, Vibrant also wiped out my macroalgaes so they stopped helping with phosphates. Also didn't realize Hanna ULT phosphorus checker readings meant my high phosphates were 3x higher than I knew (phosporus multiply by 3 for phosphate then divide by 100 to change ppm/ppb) Found Phosphate Rx and dosed same night as started Reef Flux causing my yellow tang nearly die so yellow tang went to QT from treatment so now I treat only 10 drops for my 180g+20g sump. (and will never have yellow tang in tank for Reef Flux treatment)

I did get a copperband butterfly that wasn't eating so on advise of LFS moved earlier than planned from QT to DT, then DT got ich. Yellow tang is among my fish, so prayer and frequent siphoning to break cycle was my only treatment (did get an additional neon blue goby cleaner for tangs but they don't really 'cure' marine ich)

I should have not listened to LFS about trying to save copperband butterfly (which died), followed by 'get happy' gift LN butterfly from BF that tangs killed (now better on acclimation using SHU so territories introduced, too), followed by blue tang that died as my salinity checker was defective.

Moral on story: QT, QT, QT! Should have dipped corals from beginning (and maybe even take off plug from store or use peroxide on plug) ... which is why I applaud your QT plans! Don't follow my path <wink> Now, moratorium on fish & corals... though I go back East next week for 2+ weeks for family matter and I'm scared what my BF may buy and how may introduce while I'm gone

Now I think the peppermint shrimp are eating my hammer corals but they've learned how to hide from wrasse... but if I had dipped/QTd corals, never would have had aiptasia and never would have gotten CBB fish that introduced ich or have gotten peppermint shrimp (which sometimes also eat RBTAs which I also have)
Wow is all i can say.quite a journey you had so far with all your goings on in tank.
Listening to your problems you had just reinforces my belief that we only get in our tanks what we actually put in and there is methods to remove unwanted pests whilst qt.
Ok tyvm i got answer that thought it would be.ty for all your time ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tsm aquatics sounds awesome.
Really wish i had a lfs near me that was like that.the 2 nearest defo not.
There is one lfs on outskirts my city that visited years ago so need go back check there procudures on there new fish arrivals,maybe i get lucky or may find one on the net who knows but all my research last few months and few months about 5 years ago when bought tank ( yes had empty tank sitting empty for 5 years) because holidays abroad then ill health set me right back but never seen or heard of anywhere in uk that does such an extensive ( proper ) quarantine like tsm that you shared in link but i would thought we had some.( so more research/homework i need to do to find out ( ^_^)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tsm aquatics sounds awesome.
Really wish i had a lfs near me that was like that.the 2 nearest defo not.
There is one lfs on outskirts my city that visited years ago so need go back check there procudures on there new fish arrivals,maybe i get lucky or may find one on the net who knows but all my research last few months and few months about 5 years ago when bought tank ( yes had empty tank sitting empty for 5 years) because holidays abroad then ill health set me right back but never seen or heard of anywhere in uk that does such an extensive ( proper ) quarantine like tsm that you shared in link but i would thought we had some.( so more research/homework i need to do to find out ( ^_^)
The LFSs near me also are not like that!

I only recently stumbled across TSM, and they'll have to ship to me in USA. Maybe they ship to UK and/or maybe they know someone who practices quarantine like them and does ship to UK if they don't. There may be multiple quarantine (really medication which I'd call hospital treatments) online UK shipping fish stores out of Europe but I'm just not familiar. Fingers crossed for your side of the pond.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah lets hope i can find one over here.
I think as of know my thinking be the fish been medicated and fish gets to you as fit as can be so then my qt can just be observation and no meds at all hopefully as been done by the pros

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back