Advise with Tangs in QT

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have been following the QT process outlined by @Humblefish. I have a 20G Tall that I am running copper power at 2.5ppm for 14 days. Dosing General Cure 6 days apart. After 14 Days I have a 40 Gallon tank next to my office desk that I observe them in. There is also a Black Molly in the 40 Gallon to see if the treatment was successful.

I successfully QTed my first 2 batches of fish (YAY!) and now I felt brave enough to get some larger fish to put through my process. Yesterday I picked up a 4" foxface, 3" Powder Brown Tang, and a 1" baby Blue Hippo Tang.

I have been cruising the different threads looking for similar scenarios as mine but haven't found anything yet.

The Fox Face will actively eat, but doesnt swim around much and changes color frequently, I guess a sign of stress? I am wondering if the 14 days in this tank will be ok for it.

The Powder Brown seems fine and patrols the tank back and forth all day. I am mostly worried about the Baby Hippo Tang. He is hiding in some PVC and rarely comes out at all. It will only eat some food that falls near it, but once it gets a look at the Powder Brown patrolling it wedges itself under some PVC to hide all day.

My question is will my 20 Gallon Tall Tank be ok with these three fish? Will the tang be ok to QT for the 2 weeks even though there is such a drastic size difference?

Thank for any direction!

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 8.10.43 PM.png 95D793DF-9F6A-46C6-B749-50F6D796E69A.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 8.12.48 PM.png

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface do change colors when stressed or sleeping. That is normal per say. However, I am worried the little guy will not handle the stress of the two larger ones. Especially the powder brown. If it is already all over the tank, he may be too much for the little blue and even the foxface.
Although, most foxface can handle themselves.
Keep an eye on ammonia. That is not a very large tank for those three fish. Even a qt.
Good luck! Little blue is so cute.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went back to my LFS today to get a 10 gallon tank. I showed them the video and photo of the baby blue tang in hiding and they said as long as the fish are eating healthy that I have nothing to worry about.

I know sometimes LFS can make recommendations that aren’t best practice. So I am hoping the community can help shed some light on if it is ok to leave them in this tank with copper for another week before putting them in a 40G for observation.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is eating, may be okay. If stops or is not eating like a pig, may want to separate. Just my thought. Sounded like the bigger tang was taking all the food and being difficult. Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back