AEFW confirmation, plz shine in with your experience

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone I been struggling with my sps after a few parameters swings my acros weny down hill Color and PE
. I assumed it was the light switch from Maxspect to Radions but after giving away a few frags discovered that I had AEFW. I immediately took out the few acros I have to inspect and dip with no sings of worms or eggs. I have a about 20-25 acros most are frags, few mini colonies. Inspected them after the dip I did see what appears bite marks from AEFW but no sing of worms and eggs, I initially dipped with Melafix since it was available at my LFS and last night I received my Bayer order and decided to inspect my acros one more time before I started any other dipping or procedures, I thought I had inspected every single acro but missed out on one I guess because I did find a bunch of eggs on one mini colony. Soooooo I will def have no problem starting from scratch since my favorite acro colony completely melted my blue Tort I have already clipped most of the ones I have and there’s only 3-4 mini colonies which I will also clip and start with frags after I cleanse my system. Any tips on procedures I see there is a post with what it seems a new magic snake oil with promising results but it’s out of stock. Tonight I will begin my acros dip with Bayer I have them all in my sump which I had converted to a frag rack area instead of Chaeto. How long should i dip should I discard heavily nested acros without clipping it ? I have a ton on montipora digis styles and caps will they be affected? Also my torch has not fully opened for a few months could the be the culprit ?

Here are pics of the one piece with eggs just to confirm my nightmare

BA77EBC2-6E85-4A5E-8C89-F59994A8B238.jpeg

F9060DCB-C2DB-4ED2-87B8-C71E0F51FABE.jpeg

3D2D7A20-CFE6-446E-9489-F4ADE2298A10.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip what you can. Scrape the eggs with a razor and then scrub them with a toothbrush and destroy them.

This works, but it is a longer play - 4 to 5 months, but you see results in a few weeks... this dude's tank has been AEFW free since we quit dosing. This worked for a few locals and I have had about a dozen PMs also telling me that this worked for them. 100% safe, but it takes some time and the stuff is not super cheap if you have a large tank.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670592

I have seen the stuff from UWC - it looks like a strong portion of wormwood with a few other proprietary things. Read their thread really carefully... they have had some deaths in the test pool which they seem to explain away and people see to death-shame them with excuses and stuff... that thread has a weird dynamic to say the least.

Edit: now that you are sure that you have them, I recommend using Bayer since it is very effective and gentle on the corals - you can dip them for longer. When I get in new stuff, I use CoralRx since I want to see what comes off of the frags, but this is not really an issue with your situation. Both work, but Bayer seems to be better for me.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meng!!!I Been doing some intense research since I found out Friday night, the txt message hit me like a brick it actually got me depressed since I been slowly transitioning to sps only but woke up today in a good mood and challenge accepted seems 2018 is the shift for these lil buggers in our hobby

I will definitely start the Bayer regiment for 6 weeks hopefully by then UWC will have more magic juice available and will also look into dosing my tank to kill off any potential left over worms lucky for me none of my acros were heavy encrusted on my rocks besides 2 which I will scrape off any acro encrust tonight

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created a long rack across the front of my tank and started dipping last night, my 4 chromis my leopard wrasse and mandarin fish literally parked on that area picking stuff up the leopard wrasse was very diligent picking stuff off and the chromis keeped grabbing stuff of the water colum I’m guessing the flow was detaching dead ones of the coral I couldn’t see what they were eating, my question is are they tiny enough that I can’t see ? I haven’t seen a single adult one or one big enough for me to see and only one piece had actual eggs but no sign of actual worms

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue leg hermits also found themselfs to the rack this morning as well, could it be that they eat the eggs as well ? Since I didn’t find eggs on any of the 26 pieces I have but one? At one point when I saw the first signs of RTN they would all 4 hurdle around my corals I thought they were the ones irritating my sps, that one piece with actuall eggs was broken off and reglued about 3 months ago and there was a small crevice the eggs were in that lil slit that I’m sure they could reach and would have to hang upside down to try and reach in

Bao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to get rid of if you are willing to remove all the SPS and dip them.
It takes about 6-8 weeks but quite easy to deal with. Just remove all the corals from the rocks.. Build an egg crate shelve and then dip all sps in Bayer. There is a thread that details how much of Bayer to use, its been awhile and I forgot the dosages. Dip them and rinse them in fresh tank water carefully so there aren't any residues because residues can kill snails and shrimps. Once you are done dipping and rinsing them, put them back on the egg crate shelve. Repeat this 6-8 times and you are done. Make sure there are no SPS on any of the rock and scrape all the part of the rocks that corals used to be on. Just to make sure there are no eggs on the rocks.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone I been struggling with my sps after a few parameters swings my acros weny down hill Color and PE
. I assumed it was the light switch from Maxspect to Radions but after giving away a few frags discovered that I had AEFW. I immediately took out the few acros I have to inspect and dip with no sings of worms or eggs. I have a about 20-25 acros most are frags, few mini colonies. Inspected them after the dip I did see what appears bite marks from AEFW but no sing of worms and eggs, I initially dipped with Melafix since it was available at my LFS and last night I received my Bayer order and decided to inspect my acros one more time before I started any other dipping or procedures, I thought I had inspected every single acro but missed out on one I guess because I did find a bunch of eggs on one mini colony. Soooooo I will def have no problem starting from scratch since my favorite acro colony completely melted my blue Tort I have already clipped most of the ones I have and there’s only 3-4 mini colonies which I will also clip and start with frags after I cleanse my system. Any tips on procedures I see there is a post with what it seems a new magic snake oil with promising results but it’s out of stock. Tonight I will begin my acros dip with Bayer I have them all in my sump which I had converted to a frag rack area instead of Chaeto. How long should i dip should I discard heavily nested acros without clipping it ? I have a ton on montipora digis styles and caps will they be affected? Also my torch has not fully opened for a few months could the be the culprit ?

Don’t waste your time scraping the eggs off, just use superglue gel to cover them up. It takes less time and stresses the Corals less.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t waste your time scraping the eggs off, just use superglue gel to cover them up. It takes less time and stresses the Corals less.

To be honest seeing that whole cluster of eggs made me depress I clipped the tips and tossed the mini colony even the ones that didn’t have RTN or eggs were clipped I’m mky taking no chances, I will be setting up a nano in my living room which I will start to use to quarantine/Random corals tank before they go in my main tank and i like to horde lol

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use some sort of treatment/chemical/dip to kill them all. You can knock them back with natural means if the predators can get to them, but once you don't have frags anymore, then they can stay hidden from any wrasse, crab, shrimp and even a baster. A football size acro colony is a condominium for hundreds of AEFW to work unobstructed. Make sure that you get them all before your stuff gets larger.

The eggs are quite soft... a stiff toothbrush can destroy them in a few seconds.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back