AEFW - Tank Dismantling - Advise / Tips Needed

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so odd to me that all the aefw everyone is talking about focus on Millis. I thought this new round was an anomaly for me. When I first found aefw back 10 years ago or so the consensus was they focused on smooth skin acros and stayed away from the hairy stuff. That is what I experienced then as well. Wonder when the shift took place and if they are a different strain or from a different region. I’m only a 13 or so months back after taking the last 7 or 8 years off, or so.
They seem to be leaving my milli alone and only going for smooth-skinned ones. Stags seem completely igniroed

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. He was definitely more clam than I was. I think the part that may differ is when it happens to someone with frags / mini colonies it's hard to digest and deal with than a tank with large mature colonies. Frags will quickly be killed by the worms, where mature colonies may never show the stress. My largest colony at the time was a milli, and it was their favorite to eat. The colony was 5+ inches and they killed it.
I find it way way easier to deal with AEFW in a tank of frags - dipping is easy in that situation. The trick is, as with every reef problem, to address is before it becomes an avalanche. Most reef tank emergencies are avoidable.
YMMV.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems like madness that no company has been willing to put up the money to develop any actual cure for these buggers. A bit of genetic research and coopting of existing drugs would probably be all that's required.

You would think that but the eggs are so durable. Also there is no money in cures to these problems. But there is money in continuing treatments. Honestly if you use the flat worm stop correctly and with some extra work blowing worms off corals often, the product will kill the population off completely in 6 months to a year for most people. But if you don’t really have experience with them or with identifying them well, then it won’t be as easy.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think that but the eggs are so durable. Also there is no money in cures to these problems. But there is money in continuing treatments. Honestly if you use the flat worm stop correctly and with some extra work blowing worms off corals often, the product will kill the population off completely in 6 months to a year for most people. But if you don’t really have experience with them or with identifying them well, then it won’t be as easy.
There is no money in a genuine cure but there is money in selling snake oil. Very true! I think if there is a genuine cure people would pay top dollar for it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back