AEFW's Worst Nightmare - Purge V2

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I should report my final results.

After the intial 5 weeks treatments without much blasting, it didn't clean up AEFW. UWC reached out and sent me another set to try again with ample of blasting while dosing. I really appreciated it.

I then did another set of treatment, with blasting using a small power head every other day. Every week I found some flatworm during blasting. I also did water change every two weeks, because in the first treatment I stopped water change altogether and some corals suffered from it.

At week 6, I still found flatworms during blasting, so the treatment was extended to 8 weeks. But at the end of the 8 weeks, I still blasted out a couple flatworms. At that point, I decided to stop the treatment, put skimmer back at full power, turned back on UV, and added back carbon. I continue to blast the corals twice a week. The week after I again found a couple flatworms.

Now it's the second week after treatment ended. I didn't find a flatworm yet. But all the corals are looking happier than during treatment, and displaying visible growth in the span of two weeks. At the end, Purge didn't get rid of the AEFW for my tank. But during the treatment, I got better at noticing the sight of the flatworm, and found good way to blast them off. So this will be my process going forward to manage it.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fifth Dose Update:

Dosed the fifth Dose today and unfortunately while blasting right after the dose I still have 6-7 worms in total come off. This was a little less than last week but still worry some. LPS really hate purge, each week I cringe having to dose it. My Button coral is now showing it's not happy. It hasn't inflated in over a week. No3 is up a bit 15-20 po4 is fine as I'm using GFO. I feel like the water needs a skimmer, I feel there are pollutants from the acros slimming plus I'm sure whatever is in purge to bind it is building up. I did find less worms come of my most infected colony and the worms this week we're not as large as last week. I'll continue with 8 doses.

@UWC thoughts on me doing a large water change to help with build up of pollutants? Or do I need to power through this?

I have been doing blasting every 2-3 days.. going to try every 1-2.

Also have a yellow wrasse on order, and eating for LA to get acro crabs in.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I should report my final results.

After the intial 5 weeks treatments without much blasting, it didn't clean up AEFW. UWC reached out and sent me another set to try again with ample of blasting while dosing. I really appreciated it.

I then did another set of treatment, with blasting using a small power head every other day. Every week I found some flatworm during blasting. I also did water change every two weeks, because in the first treatment I stopped water change altogether and some corals suffered from it.

At week 6, I still found flatworms during blasting, so the treatment was extended to 8 weeks. But at the end of the 8 weeks, I still blasted out a couple flatworms. At that point, I decided to stop the treatment, put skimmer back at full power, turned back on UV, and added back carbon. I continue to blast the corals twice a week. The week after I again found a couple flatworms.

Now it's the second week after treatment ended. I didn't find a flatworm yet. But all the corals are looking happier than during treatment, and displaying visible growth in the span of two weeks. At the end, Purge didn't get rid of the AEFW for my tank. But during the treatment, I got better at noticing the sight of the flatworm, and found good way to blast them off. So this will be my process going forward to manage it.
Blasting is good management. Glad you chose the word blasting versus basting. Basting is akin to wishing. Acros would prefer blasting to AEFW every day of the week. They can withstand hurricanes/cyclones but heavy predation is tough.

Blast away.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fifth Dose Update:

Dosed the fifth Dose today and unfortunately while blasting right after the dose I still have 6-7 worms in total come off. This was a little less than last week but still worry some. LPS really hate purge, each week I cringe having to dose it. My Button coral is now showing it's not happy. It hasn't inflated in over a week. No3 is up a bit 15-20 po4 is fine as I'm using GFO. I feel like the water needs a skimmer, I feel there are pollutants from the acros slimming plus I'm sure whatever is in purge to bind it is building up. I did find less worms come of my most infected colony and the worms this week we're not as large as last week. I'll continue with 8 doses.

@UWC thoughts on me doing a large water change to help with build up of pollutants? Or do I need to power through this?

I have been doing blasting every 2-3 days.. going to try every 1-2.

Also have a yellow wrasse on order, and eating for LA to get acro crabs in.

If your going to do more doses, I would recommend 8 doses total, you definitely can do a water change.

Are you using a small pump for basting? This is the most effective :)

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like my last lobo is taking a crap.. same thing that happened to my big orange lobo.. see the white lighter parts... Next will be the flesh will fall off.

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_203944915.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210805_203944915.NIGHT.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 46

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixth Dose Update -

Good news today only had 4 worms come off, 2 small and 2 medium. 2 smalls ones got away from me while blasting, one my CCB gobbled up one and the other i shredded up into 5 pieces through my MJ1200 using for blastings. My last lobo i attached a picture of last week is done. So i'm out $800 in corals, 2 lobos and 2 scolys. This stuff is rough on LPS it seems, even ones that have been in a tank for year plus thriving. I really can't wait for this treatment to be over, i have lost some colors in the SPS, one not affected by AEFW, snails and fish hate it. Every day i'm fighting the urge to do a massive water change and stop treatment. I was going to do 2 more treatments bringing me to 8 doses total.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also adding 6 carb crabs to the system tomorrow to help. I think I'm on the right track with getting rid of these guys. Lastly I have a yellow coris coming along with two other fish. I think blasting has been a key to this fight, along with getting a fish or two to follow you around so they eat them as they fly off. Hopefully the acro crabs will help keep the colonies clean and the wrasses will also keep an eye out.

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Want to see AEFW's drop like flies within your tank? After many months of refining our formula, testing, refining, testing.. We are confident that our Purge V2 in tank treatment will 100% rid your aquarium of AEFW's. Our new formula is super saturated and treats 900 gallons per bottle total. While being much stronger, this formula is very gentle on the corals while absolutely annihilating the AEFW's. This is not a formula that breaks the cycle and you wait for the worms to die off and phase out. This is a formula that nukes the worms and you wait for the remaining eggs to hatch and then you treat again.

Remove protein skimmer cup and let protein skimmer overflow into sump
Remove activated carbon
Monitor alkalinity and adjust as needed
Monitor nutrients and adjust as needed
Turn off UV sterilizer during treatment
Blow off AEFW's from corals with small pump right after dosing tank with Purge. If possible, blow off corals with small pump one or two more times during the week

Day 1 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 7 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 14 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 21 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 35 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 49 - (If Needed ) Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water

We have a few users on this site that have used Purge V2 that will chime in with their experiences. For now, Purge V2 is not for sale. We are looking for another handful of R2R users that have AEFW's that would like to see the power of V2 and document their experiences for everyone to see. If you would like to be one of these people, please reach out to me directly by PM.

purge 1.JPG

purge 6.jpg

purge 2.JPG
I have them but 80% of my coral already gone

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

So today's blasting was great only two worms, one smaller and one large. ( I am 6 doses in) The small one got away from me but the large one was quickly eaten by my CCB. I have decided that I'm going to stop the purge. I have a orange hammer and another scoly starting to show the early symptoms that my other dead Lps did. My experience with purge has been extremely rough on LPS, scolys, lobos, Trachy, button corals. After dosing all Lps look horrible for 2-4 days then your dosing again. I think at this point EOD blastings, the acro crabs, KZ FWS, and a yellow coris wrasse (on its way) along with my other wrasses and shrimp I'm in a good position. I can't find any fresh or old bite marks. The corals have healed up well. I can say blasting makes more of a impact than any dosing you can do. You need to remove them from the water after blasting or destroy then in a PH if you don't have fish following you around eating them. No3 has now hit 40ppm, I am getting cyano on my sand. Each dose of Purge has made corals slime up, plus the ones that died, has definitely "polluted" the water in addition to what ever is in purge and with no skimmer and carbon I need to cleanse this water. So I'll be doing some big water changes to get the skimmer going, carbon and my UV back on line. I can tell anyone with AEFW it's not the end of the world, it will just take some work and time. I'll continue to update weekly after my blastings.

Beerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is skimmer supposed to be off the whole time during treatment? Also are you guys doing water changes with them or does that have to stop too? Just wondering if that could be the reason some people are getting different results.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is skimmer supposed to be off the whole time during treatment? Also are you guys doing water changes with them or does that have to stop too? Just wondering if that could be the reason some people are getting different results.
I turned everything off and took out carbon and didn’t do any water changes. Basically I had a box if water with coral and fish. I left the skimmer “on” but it wasn’t skimming. It was just a large air stone and everything overflowed back into the tank. I didn’t do any water changes and I dosed it for 8 weeks straight. I also dosed kz flatworm stop before and after treatment about a month or two on each end. Things are finally hitting their stride and regrowing for me. It’s a long process but the alternative was a reboot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 38

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not run my skimmer at all, even fully open it would cloud the tank with to many bubbles. I had skimmer, uv off. I do not run carbon but left gfo on.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

So today I stopped the purge and did a 35% water change. Skimmer is still going nuts, uv is also back on line.

The best part of the update, I blasted the acros and no worms were to be found. All affected colonies now have a acro crab hosting.

My CCB was disappointed when no worms came off, he was just learning that he gets a free meal when I blast!

I'm going to continue to blast for a few more months. I'm also continuing KZ FWS for the foreseeable future. I think imma need to see no worms for 6+ months before stopping FWS.

I can not say purge was the reason I have seeing good results. But it was part of the solution.

I'll say it again, for me purge was very rough on LPS and I lost 2 scolys and 2 lobos. They start by retracting after the dose, then they slowly week after week stop inflating more and more and start to bleach before dying.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

So today I stopped the purge and did a 35% water change. Skimmer is still going nuts, uv is also back on line.

The best part of the update, I blasted the acros and no worms were to be found. All affected colonies now have a acro crab hosting.

My CCB was disappointed when no worms came off, he was just learning that he gets a free meal when I blast!

I'm going to continue to blast for a few more months. I'm also continuing KZ FWS for the foreseeable future. I think imma need to see no worms for 6+ months before stopping FWS.

I can not say purge was the reason I have seeing good results. But it was part of the solution.

I'll say it again, for me purge was very rough on LPS and I lost 2 scolys and 2 lobos. They start by retracting after the dose, then they slowly week after week stop inflating more and more and start to bleach before dying.
Just curious where did you find the acro crabs? I have not seen them for sale in a while.
Thanks!

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious where did you find the acro crabs? I have not seen them for sale in a while.
Thanks!
That was my problem as well. Bluezoo ordered them for me. I set up a special order and about 1.5 weeks later they got them in. Note they were not small, I got fully grown ones 1.5 inches. So make sure your colonies are large enough. Maybe they can order smaller if you ask, I never saw them so big so I assumed they were smaller.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any negatives with fish or invertebrates while using Purge?
my fish didn’t care and I don’t have too many different inverts…just snails and a starfish. My snails use to spawn like crazy and now they do not. Is this because of purge? Doubt it, but who knows. I’m just stating what has happened. Starfish (including serpent and brittle stars) do not care. My pod population has always been low, so I have no comment there.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to see AEFW's drop like flies within your tank? After many months of refining our formula, testing, refining, testing.. We are confident that our Purge V2 in tank treatment will 100% rid your aquarium of AEFW's. Our new formula is super saturated and treats 900 gallons per bottle total. While being much stronger, this formula is very gentle on the corals while absolutely annihilating the AEFW's. This is not a formula that breaks the cycle and you wait for the worms to die off and phase out. This is a formula that nukes the worms and you wait for the remaining eggs to hatch and then you treat again.

Remove protein skimmer cup and let protein skimmer overflow into sump
Remove activated carbon
Monitor alkalinity and adjust as needed
Monitor nutrients and adjust as needed
Turn off UV sterilizer during treatment
Blow off AEFW's from corals with small pump right after dosing tank with Purge. If possible, blow off corals with small pump one or two more times during the week

Day 1 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 7 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 14 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 21 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 35 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 49 - (If Needed ) Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water

We have a few users on this site that have used Purge V2 that will chime in with their experiences. For now, Purge V2 is not for sale. We are looking for another handful of R2R users that have AEFW's that would like to see the power of V2 and document their experiences for everyone to see. If you would like to be one of these people, please reach out to me directly by PM.

purge 1.JPG

purge 6.jpg

purge 2.JPG
How do I purchase your AEFW formula???

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any negatives with fish or invertebrates while using Purge?
My wrasses went into the sand after every dose. Other fish were ok just skittish. Snails would drop off the rock and glass and lay upside for a few hours.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back