Affordable Dry Rock

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm about to work on my second tank and could use some advice on dry rock. Personally, I prefer dry rock method. It's a little slower, but it avoids any unwanted pests, and since this is going to be a frag grow out tank, I'd like to avoid any possibility of pests or problems.

Anybody have recommendations on dry rock for like a tiered rock set up? Trying use some flat rock for the tiers so I have maximum use of the rockwork for coral placement. I used Nature's Ocean dry rock on my first tank, which was crazy cheap, got like 40lbs for $50/$60, but that stuff was SUPER dense and took me about 3 days to get broken down, shaped, and cleaned before I could even put it in the tank. Some cheap alternatives would be awesome. Most stuff I see is $6/$7 lbs, which just seems so expensive to me.

Any recommendations?

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i started my tank years ago I used dry rock from marcorocks.com.they offer variety of pieces for your aquarium.

Sirspeedy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 lb box from amazon for 55$ a box. Best value I’ve ever seen and some seriously nice rock chunks. First box I got 3, total weight was just at 40lbs, next box I got 4 (3large 1 medium), box weighed over 44lbs. Clean, dry, agronite. Great shape and porosity. same box you got sounds like mine was a little better. You could always order thwt box again and get it cut with a tile saw - should take about 20 seconds to cut considering.

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my rocks from addictive reef keeping....I wanted reef cleaners but they are out of stock. ARK was actually a cheaper price. They offer shelf pieces too.
I hope it was a good choice!! I’ll post some pics when it arrives

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 lb box from amazon for 55$ a box. Best value I’ve ever seen and some seriously nice rock chunks. First box I got 3, total weight was just at 40lbs, next box I got 4 (3large 1 medium), box weighed over 44lbs. Clean, dry, agronite. Great shape and porosity. “Nature’s ocean 12” base rocks” -
Yeah, that was the dry rock I used on my first build that I had mentioned. It was a great deal, but it took me forever to break that stuff apart as it was super dense and I had to soak it for a couple days just to get all the dust and rubble off.

Back