• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Affordable Dry Rock

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm about to work on my second tank and could use some advice on dry rock. Personally, I prefer dry rock method. It's a little slower, but it avoids any unwanted pests, and since this is going to be a frag grow out tank, I'd like to avoid any possibility of pests or problems.

Anybody have recommendations on dry rock for like a tiered rock set up? Trying use some flat rock for the tiers so I have maximum use of the rockwork for coral placement. I used Nature's Ocean dry rock on my first tank, which was crazy cheap, got like 40lbs for $50/$60, but that stuff was SUPER dense and took me about 3 days to get broken down, shaped, and cleaned before I could even put it in the tank. Some cheap alternatives would be awesome. Most stuff I see is $6/$7 lbs, which just seems so expensive to me.

Any recommendations?

Corals.com

Dat673

View Badges
Reaction score
When i started my tank years ago I used dry rock from marcorocks.com.they offer variety of pieces for your aquarium.

Sirspeedy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
40 lb box from amazon for 55$ a box. Best value I’ve ever seen and some seriously nice rock chunks. First box I got 3, total weight was just at 40lbs, next box I got 4 (3large 1 medium), box weighed over 44lbs. Clean, dry, agronite. Great shape and porosity. same box you got sounds like mine was a little better. You could always order thwt box again and get it cut with a tile saw - should take about 20 seconds to cut considering.

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just purchased my rocks from addictive reef keeping....I wanted reef cleaners but they are out of stock. ARK was actually a cheaper price. They offer shelf pieces too.
I hope it was a good choice!! I’ll post some pics when it arrives

OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
40 lb box from amazon for 55$ a box. Best value I’ve ever seen and some seriously nice rock chunks. First box I got 3, total weight was just at 40lbs, next box I got 4 (3large 1 medium), box weighed over 44lbs. Clean, dry, agronite. Great shape and porosity. “Nature’s ocean 12” base rocks” -
Yeah, that was the dry rock I used on my first build that I had mentioned. It was a great deal, but it took me forever to break that stuff apart as it was super dense and I had to soak it for a couple days just to get all the dust and rubble off.

Corals.com

What's the first thing you do when you see algae forming in your tank?

• Panic and freak out

Votes: 33 6.4%
  • Identify it as best you can

Votes: 153 29.7%
  • Test your water

Votes: 167 32.4%
  • Pull it out

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Order more clean up crew

Votes: 51 9.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 48 9.3%