AI Nero 3 - Garbage

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem with my nero3, threw code it was bound up, and AI had me return it to them and via their exchange program they mailed me a new one that same day which has been working fine. I was pretty impressed with the service and speed - no issues with new one and hopefully that continues.
Replying to myself here. Same issue happened again. Thankfully the good service and shipment again but has me concerned this is a chronic issue with these 2 separate pumps under a year. The service rep said the year warranty would reset with the new pump, so I guess will continue the cycle. When it does work they are fantastic and I like the app too. Shame.

efilho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero5 seized for no apparent reason after just two months and, when the replacement arrives from the seller, I don’t think I’ll keep it.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Nero 3’s in my tank. I’ve had three fail now and have utilized their replacement warranty for $1 each time.

AI mentioned after the 3rd replacement that this should not be occurring and they would bring up the issue of the pump seizing with the flashing red light on the driver to quality control to make sure this doesn’t happen again. At least their response is good.

Just seems odd that I would get 3 lemons before having 2 working pumps. So far no issues with the new ones after a couple months.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
that’s unfortunate… luckily haven’t had any issues with my 2 nero 3’s and i bought them months apart.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Nero 3 running in a 40 gallon since February 2021 - after 1 month I had to have AI replace the entire unit—- Since then, the replaced unit goes into stall mode at least once a month. I assume it’s just the nature of this style of pump? Susceptible to minor motor issues? I always unplug the driver, disassemble the pump then wiggle the propeller and put it back in…. And it’ll run another few weeks.

The iceKap gyre that’s been in that same tank for years hasn’t had any issues. Probably just luck of the draw.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2x SLW-10's, 1x SLW-20 and 1x SLW-30 for 1-2 years, have only had to take them apart to clean a couple times and have never had any issues, knock on wood.
All 4 of my SLW's are still running perfectly with no maintenance and barely any cleaning. I love these things.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two jebao SCP 90s (the gyre looking ones ) running for 8 months , so far so good knock on the wood !
But if I had to do it again I would definitely go with the ecotech vortechs , IMO they are worth the extra buck (more like a hole in your bank account ).

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 5 stopped working for no apparent reason. The light on the controller is red and was meant to be overheating. I followed the steps to clean it several times and spun the propeller with no luck. I had to pay out of pocket to send it back and see if they will take care of it.

my Jebaos are still rocking. One is already close to 5 years.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you "get what you pay for" and I would get the AI Nero 3. Read some bad reviews on people having problems with it (blue ring light flashing to red light) not long at all after they got it.

Welp...not even 30 days in and had issues with it to the point I have to send it back and it is broken. (Nothing got caught in it, none of that) I did a search online to find many people having the same issues.

If it was an isolated incident ... no biggy. It happens. But I'm sorry, for $150 for a pump, there should not be this many problems this early -- unacceptable. So for all you thinking of getting one, buyer beware. Do some research first.

Back to the jaebos ... hey they even make a compact one now as well!

I have 3 x Nero 5, and 2 x Nero 3's running for almost a year with no problems.

Sometimes you get a lemon, just return it.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Nero was sent back and now they want $145 for the “repair” and now I am sitting frustrated and heard my Nero 3 is making that humming noise at only 50%. What a bunch garbage.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stuff breaks ….honestly I’ve had more problems with my ecotech, and I clean my wet sides bimonthly with citric… no issues with my Nero’s yet. That being said I love them both but am always frustrated when nice things break so early on in their life expectancies

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with my Nero 3 issues now. Pump failed after a couple months, just sent it in and they replaced faulty controller. Worked for less then 24hrs and having the same issues again. So another dead pump and waiting to be sent back. My other Nero 3 has run flawlessly for 10 months but this bad experience has put me off of ever buying AI products again.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had my nero 3's since they came out and love them i clean them every mouth . there lights on the other hand i will never buy again!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with my Nero 3 issues now. Pump failed after a couple months, just sent it in and they replaced faulty controller. Worked for less then 24hrs and having the same issues again. So another dead pump and waiting to be sent back. My other Nero 3 has run flawlessly for 10 months but this bad experience has put me off of ever buying AI products again.
Same here and I feel your frustration. The Nero is about $180 and the Nero 5 is about $230 after tax. These are supposed to be better made and last longer. That’s why I was hesitant to spend more money into it. Back with my Jebao sow that I spent $65 shipped. Still rocking and dead silent.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anecdote: I owned three Nero 3sfor my AIO. They worked well. They did get stuck with snails, but it wo uld error out. I wish only that the magnets be stronger.

As for the organization of components into different “tanks” is weird. Why can’t I have an aquarium named Reef and add all of my Primes and Neros?

Within a tank they should add groupings so we can group components we want to work together.

For example “(object) User Provided Object Name”
  • (tank) ReefLivingRoom
    • (group) Lights Hi
    • (group) Lights Lo
    • (group) Lights All
    • (group) Nero3 Back
    • (group) Nero5 Front
    • (group) Nero All

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anecdote: I owned three Nero 3sfor my AIO. They worked well. They did get stuck with snails, but it wo uld error out. I wish only that the magnets be stronger.

As for the organization of components into different “tanks” is weird. Why can’t I have an aquarium named Reef and add all of my Primes and Neros?

Within a tank they should add groupings so we can group components we want to work together.

• (tank) ReefLivingRoom
    • (group) Lights Hi
    • (group) Lights Lo
    • (group) Lights All
    • (group) Nero3 Back
    • (group) Nero5 Front
    • (group) Nero All
I don't understand your requirements :-=)

You can group pumps and lights into one tank, the only difficulty I've seen is running lights on different schedules. You can have pumps with different schedules.

Oops, probably should be a new thread.

Graham.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• (tank) ReefLivingRoom
    • (group) Lights Hi
    • (group) Lights Lo
    • (group) Lights All
    • (group) Nero3 Back
    • (group) Nero5 Front
    • (group) Nero All
Speaking of snail. I literally heard some noise and sure enough it was the mp40s wide opening and the trochus almost got shredded. I immediately shut it off, don’t think I am the only has this problem?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back