AI Prime 16HD & Corals turning white.

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I've been struggling with finding the right lighting issues on my 75G reef tank ever since I bought these lights. I found this channel on youtube called "Zoa Tank Boyz" and have been using their light schedule from 4PM-12AM with a 1 hour ramp up time but I've seen around on these forums the % they have some of these settings would melt lenses on the AI Primes so I'm worried about using it. I really just wanna put some proper light settings.. I have a few amount of frags in my tank so far (about 5 LPS) and 2 SPS coral frags, the SPS seem like they're fine for a few weeks but then will start turning white. Is the lighting the problem? my LPS corals are pretty hardy begginer ones so I don't ever see issues with those.
1633487192741.png

Can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me stop stressing of this light schedule and settings by helping me choose the proper ones? I really just want to see my tank thrive but its been impossible to enjoy it.

I seen a few people on AI Prime post post this image below and I'm wondering are my lights to bright? should I try perhaps the 40% settings listed on the image?

1629804043810.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many primes do you have? Can you list your water parameters?

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have two from the settings. Here's my thoughts. You need some white light and a longer photoperiod. If you don't like white, put it on when you are at work. Guessing though that you have your photoperiod starting at 4 so its after work. I also wonder if you suddenly changed the photoperiod. If you had a natural sunrise and sundown time and then opted to change it to 4 PM sunrise and 12 am sunset, then that is a hard hit to their circadian rhythm.

prisse67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the lights down your bleaching the corals. It’s better to start lower lighting and raise later.
My lighting schedule is attached. Since I turned things down my tank is doing so much better. Just try not to mess with the lights too often that can cause stress.

Attachments

• 107972EE-E33F-451A-A7ED-B3C5C606FDA7.jpeg
    107972EE-E33F-451A-A7ED-B3C5C606FDA7.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the lights down your bleaching the corals. It’s better to start lower lighting and raise later.
My lighting schedule is attached. Since I turned things down my tank is doing so much better. Just try not to mess with the lights too often that can cause stress.
Would you recommend trying the 40% settings here or even lower?
Looks like you have two from the settings. Here's my thoughts. You need some white light and a longer photoperiod. If you don't like white, put it on when you are at work. Guessing though that you have your photoperiod starting at 4 so its after work. I also wonder if you suddenly changed the photoperiod. If you had a natural sunrise and sundown time and then opted to change it to 4 PM sunrise and 12 am sunset, then that is a hard hit to their circadian rhythm.
Ever since I moved into my house and started this tank up I've ran my lights from 4pm-12am when we are home.

Attachments

• 1629804043810.png
    1629804043810.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 197

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to reduce your percentages ! I run a 8 pm to 9 pm with a 4 hour ramp maxed here

Attachments

• 454FDE51-DFDD-4D8C-A568-E1E40D919BD2.png
    454FDE51-DFDD-4D8C-A568-E1E40D919BD2.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 140

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's totally worth it to rent or borrow a par meter from a lfs or your local club. There is no good substitute for measuring par yourself in your system.

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you say lower you mean lower as in like the % would 40% from my image be a good one to start at?

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's totally worth it to rent or borrow a par meter from a lfs or your local club. There is no good substitute for measuring par yourself in your system.
This is the best information you will receive. But IMO I would definitely turn them down possibly convert the the numbers from brs to about 50% and start with that. They have a ton of videos on YouTube for ai prime that can actually be helpful.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I've been struggling with finding the right lighting issues on my 75G reef tank ever since I bought these lights. I found this channel on youtube called "Zoa Tank Boyz" and have been using their light schedule from 4PM-12AM with a 1 hour ramp up time but I've seen around on these forums the % they have some of these settings would melt lenses on the AI Primes so I'm worried about using it. I really just wanna put some proper light settings.. I have a few amount of frags in my tank so far (about 5 LPS) and 2 SPS coral frags, the SPS seem like they're fine for a few weeks but then will start turning white. Is the lighting the problem? my LPS corals are pretty hardy begginer ones so I don't ever see issues with those.
1633487192741.png

Can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me stop stressing of this light schedule and settings by helping me choose the proper ones? I really just want to see my tank thrive but its been impossible to enjoy it.

I seen a few people on AI Prime post post this image below and I'm wondering are my lights to bright? should I try perhaps the 40% settings listed on the image?

1629804043810.png
This is what I have mine set at:
UV 65%
Violet 85%
Royal 90%
Blue 90%
Green 4%
Red 4%
White 20%
It’s just about perfect to my eye and my corals are all responding well (color is much better and growth has exploded). I may up the intensity just a little (UV to 75, and blues to 100). I don’t know if overdriving the channels will melt the lenses, but I don’t want to find out (and as I said, my corals are happy, SPS, LPS, softies, and nems).

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best information you will receive. But IMO I would definitely turn them down possibly convert the the numbers from brs to about 50% and start with that. They have a ton of videos on YouTube for ai prime that can actually be helpful.
nobody shows the lighting schedule, i've searched for days on youtube.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are only running their lights from 9-5 with 1 hr ramp up/down. With those setting. I’m running the saxby setting at 70% with 30 day acclamation.

Phistergosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brs investigates should have info on spectrum and mounting height. off the cuff I would recommend 10 to 12 inches off the water. use the bss reccomended spectrum but cut the whites.

I would start at brs 40 and ramp to the 70 over at least 6 weeks. the brs whites are harsh so I recommend cutting the whites by half. since you aren't running whites, high whites will shock the corals. so definitely reduce the whites by half on top of starting with the 40 percent profile

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you start changing levels. List your parameters and how many fixtures you have. Anyone attempting to answer it without knowing those are just blindly responding. I'm guessing you have 2 lights, correct? If so, you are not overpowering the lps. In fact, it might be the opposite. But without knowing your water numbers, these answers are useless

It doesn't matter if you don't run white. It also doesn't matter if you can't ramp the percentage up and down. Neither of those are going to cause an issue with the coral.

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you start changing levels. List your parameters and how many fixtures you have. Anyone attempting to answer it without knowing those are just blindly responding. I'm guessing you have 2 lights, correct? If so, you are not overpowering the lps. In fact, it might be the opposite. But without knowing your water numbers, these answers are useless

It doesn't matter if you don't run white. It also doesn't matter if you can't ramp the percentage up and down. Neither of those are going to cause an issue with the coral.
Running 2 lights at a high percentage wont bleach corals? Everybody here says that it would, other forums and even plenty of youtube videos. I just filled my tank b/c I moved it to a different room so i'll have to re-test soon.

Using Instant Ocean Reef Salt @ 1.026 Salinity
1633496865340.png

did a Phosphates test and its seems to be 0
also have 2 carbon bags in my sump

Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your intensity way to bright so your cooking your coral

I did it when I switched to leds.

now I run my blues at 10% and my whites at 1% and coraL IS GROWING LIKE WEEDS AGAIN

start low you can always raise it, corals only need or can use 5 to 6 hours peak lighting. after that your wasting electricity. I have my B on for 8 hours and my W for 6

start there

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, you are not overpowering the lps. In fact, it might be the opposite.
You dont know what your talking about. I grow LPS professionally, and have cooked coral from to much intensity. Modern LED lights are way to powerful and its easy to use TOO MUCH light when its not needed.
You used to own ocean revives, you know how powerful they were, and how easy it was to over light coral. You probably blamed bad growth on the lights when it was too high intensity. Then put them up for sale

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back