AIO Cube Return pump keeps running dry

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If water in to your rear chamber doesn’t match water out.. then this will happen.

So, either you don’t have enough water going in (weir comb not big enough) Or your pump is pushing out more than what goes in.

For example:

If you have a weir comb of 4.5cm long (all gaps added up) at 2cm of water height.

you would get, roughly -

4.5 x 2 = total gpm (x60 to get gph) it works out at approx. 240gph.

Check this link out for a good calculator.

My guess is your pump is pushing out more water than your weir is letting in.

I’m assuming you have tried with no media/floss in and had the same result? If not you may have too much media restricting flow.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how you're having this problem with a stock tank, no filter sock, and the stock pump. Only things I can think of is 1) You have a floss blockage, restricting flow or 2) You have created a blockage with the bioballs, or 3) There is a blockage in one of the weirs.

I run an InTank Aquatics media basket in Chamber one, with a 3"x3" Pinky Filter floss pad in section one, Eight 1.5" ceramic media balls in section two of the media caddy, eight 1.5" Marinepure ceramic media balls in section three of the media caddy. I run an IceCap K1 Nano skimmer in chamber two, stock return pump in chamber three. I have no flow problems. Stock pump working fine, full flow, no issues. The ONLY time I see issues is if I allow the Pinky Filter pad to get clogged. Change it out, problem fixed.

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

My Waterbox cube 20 return pump keeps running dry. Causing it to grind and spit sand all over my tank.
I have initially thought that it was just the media in the back causing the pump to eventually dry out because not enough water would flow into the far right chamber. However, the problem still occured with no media in the back at all.

It is not due to evaporation. I have it running with an ATO and the problem still occurs when the tank is completely full. I am thinking the pump is too powerful for the tank, but I have it down at the lowest setting and it still happens.

Please let me know if I am missing anything!
Thanks!
Mine also does this did you ever figure out why it was doing this and how to fix it ?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back