AIO or sump?

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

need a bit of advice, I’m going to get a 120L tank for two clownfish and a nem/some corals eventually, and was wondering whether it’d be best to get an AIO system, or a sump? This will be my first ever marine tank, although I do have some experience from keeping bettas and various other freshwater fish with filtration, water parameters etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as downsides and upsides to each?

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is advantages and disadvantage to each. Sump gives you a lot more flexibility. I think you can hide more things in the sump as well to make the main tank with cleaner. All in one is easier because you don’t have to pick up specific equipment and it’s plumbed already.Just my two cents

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal opinion AIO is a great option up to about 40 gallons (150L). Any bigger than that the back chambers aren't big enough for the filtration needed especially if your running a heavy bio load. AIO are also great if you don't have alot of room i.e your wanting to put it on a counter or other surface with no room for a sump.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd even push an AIO to 50-gallons, if a person had experience getting a tank stable. As beautiful as I bet a 120 AIO would look, I think in the end it would be a regret. :cool:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back