Algae Growth on Gorgonians

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gorgonians close up from time to time and shed, as is normal. Somewhat recently though, one of my gorgonians closed up and the algae that grew on its limbs is coralline algae. I typically allow nature to take its course in these situations and the gorgonian can shed the old layer and out pop the polyps as usual. But it kind of seems like the gorgonian is having difficulties shedding the coralline algae. I tried to help it by removing the coralline algae layer, but in most places it has adhered well and I can't get it off.

How do other owners of gorgonians deal with this kind of issue? Can the gorgonian effectively shed the coralline algae like it does with other algae?

I have 5 different types of gorgonian currently and the other four are not shedding right now. Just trying to figure out what to do so I have a plan when the others shed and get coralline algae on them. First time this has happened in 4 years of keeping gorgs.

outdoorsgal123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue just recently actually. I also gave it time and tried to gently help it off. Two months later, it was just getting worse. I ended up just snipping the branch, that held the algae, off. Fortunately, it was at the very tip and I only had to cut a small piece off. Not sure if your situation will allow for that, but that’s what I did.

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue just recently actually. I also gave it time and tried to gently help it off. Two months later, it was just getting worse. I ended up just snipping the branch, that held the algae, off. Fortunately, it was at the very tip and I only had to cut a small piece off. Not sure if your situation will allow for that, but that’s what I did.

Dang, that doesn't bode well. The gorg in question is covered in coralline. I might have to try and get a bit more aggressive with my scrubbing.

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got around to cleaning off the coralline algae. But that didn't stop the gorgonian polyps from eventually sprouting thru. It still looks like there is coralline algae on the flesh of the gorgonians, but the polyps are open and fine. So if you have coralline algae growing on your gorgs, no worries. They will be ok.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back