Algae ID please.

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm still relatively new to the Reefing hobby. I got this algae starting to just cover my rock work and think the substrate as well. Can you guys please help me identify exactly what algae this is.
Can't tell if it's Dinos or maybe some type of cyano.
IMG_20210102_145939.jpg
IMG_20210102_145911.jpg
IMG_20210102_145856.jpg
IMG_20210102_145843.jpg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Looks like dinos, but you can do something to find out. Use a pipette to blow it off of the rock: if it comes off in sheets, it’s cyano. If it comes off and breaks up (almost dust like) it’s most likely dinos. I’ve had success against them by blacking out my tank for 3 days. No light at all (except 5 mins here and there for feeding fish)- different strands of dinos react differently, so while the majority do benefit from blackouts, some need to find an alternative way. I’ve read that dinos are a byproduct of too little nitrate; what are your water parameters?

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Looks like dinos, but you can do something to find out. Use a pipette to blow it off of the rock: if it comes off in sheets, it’s cyano. If it comes off and breaks up (almost dust like) it’s most likely dinos. I’ve had success against them by blacking out my tank for 3 days. No light at all (except 5 mins here and there for feeding fish)- different strands of dinos react differently, so while the majority do benefit from blackouts, some need to find an alternative way. I’ve read that dinos are a byproduct of too little nitrate; what are your water parameters?
Okay I just blew them now with a pipette. It just broke up easy into small bits and pieces. Last time I checked my nitrates when I saw it developing it was 0 and always had a problem with phosphates on 0 also. I stopped my NOPOX dosing to increase the nutrients.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I just blew them now with a pipette. It just broke up easy into small bits and pieces. Last time I checked my nitrates when I saw it developing it was 0 and always had a problem with phosphates on 0 also. I stopped my NOPOX dosing to increase the nutrients.
Careful with sudden increases in nutrients- that can cause an algae bloom. I’d try to get nitrate around 2-5ish

drew350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look s like cyano to me. Just get the nutrients within acceptable ranges then keep it stable and it will go away by itself

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with sudden increases in nutrients- that can cause an algae bloom. I’d try to get nitrate around 2-5ish
Yes tested now and my nitrates were around 2ppm and phosphates finally went up a bit, sitting at 0.03ppm. Going to try maintain this and hope for some results, otherwise I'll have to do a blackout

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears as a cyano and surface algae combo.
Have your phosphates and nitrates checked for elevated levels. ARE YOU USING RODI WATER OR TAP WATER FROM THE FAUCET?

Reduce white light intensity and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster, siphon up the loose stuff and force to overflow, Clean filters daily the next 10 days and add a pouch of chemipure elite which will keep phos and nitrate in check.
Add some snails to help with this: 3 cerith. 3 nerite. 3 astrea 3 trichus and 3 nassarius. Also about 8 blue leg hermits

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually cyano is a bacteria and is a group of cells clumped appearing to be sheets but are combined cells. Dino is generally golden brown and stringy with bubbles almost representing snot
Blackout is best for 5 days and DO NOT Feed coral foods or NoPox which will feed these conditions.

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears as a cyano and surface algae combo.
Have your phosphates and nitrates checked for elevated levels. ARE YOU USING RODI WATER OR TAP WATER FROM THE FAUCET?

Reduce white light intensity and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster, siphon up the loose stuff and force to overflow, Clean filters daily the next 10 days and add a pouch of chemipure elite which will keep phos and nitrate in check.
Add some snails to help with this: 3 cerith. 3 nerite. 3 astrea 3 trichus and 3 nassarius. Also about 8 blue leg hermits
My phosphate and nitrates are low. Nitrate is 2ppm and phosphates 0.03ppm. My LFS don't have all those types of snails but ill to get them. I'm using RO water. Is NOPOX fine to keep the nutrients in check because that's what I'm using at this point.

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually cyano is a bacteria and is a group of cells clumped appearing to be sheets but are combined cells. Dino is generally golden brown and stringy with bubbles almost representing snot
Blackout is best for 5 days and DO NOT Feed coral foods or NoPox which will feed these conditions.
I do see bubbles on it and its quite slimy looking and sometimes makes like strings. If all else fails I'll try the blackout but I don't want to just yet because of corals.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see bubbles on it and its quite slimy looking and sometimes makes like strings. If all else fails I'll try the blackout but I don't want to just yet because of corals.
Corals can retain nutrients and survive much longer than algae when there’s no light. Remember, weather can block out the sun for almost weeks at times.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My phosphate and nitrates are low. Nitrate is 2ppm and phosphates 0.03ppm. My LFS don't have all those types of snails but ill to get them. I'm using RO water. Is NOPOX fine to keep the nutrients in check because that's what I'm using at this point.
Nopox is fuel for cyano and dino and I would discontinue until issue is resolved

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back