Algae Scrubber Basics

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"bubble rubbing the surface do have a benefit"

Yes, much increased algal growth and filtration. And it's not gas exchange, it's boundary layer removal. See Adey.

I’m not sure how much I buy into this.. I’ve done both up flows, and reactors as well as reactors with injected air. All three systems produce a vastly differrnt slice algea compared to a waterfall type with actual hair. In all three cases changing both flow of water and air bubbling I’ve still gotten the same dark sheeting algae. If used mesh screens and taken crushed coral smashed it with a hammer into dust glued it to a screen on both sides and still get same dark green sheets. Does it remove nutrients.. yes it does but it’s bit as effective being submerses no matter how you set it up as a waterfall system or even a horizontal setstem. If done this in both salt and freshwater and the results are the same. There is a littl more stringing in salt then fresh but still a dense sheer algae. The best I’ve come up with so far for a submerses system is using pond matrix or fluval bio max as the material vs a screen type material for submersion. Gha just doesn’t attached to screens or modified corser versions like green grabbers which are nothing more then some sand glued to a regular screen for texture. If you go back to the origins of turf scrubbers you’ll see they were invented in the 70’s because of algea growing in rocks in tidal surf areas fully exposed tot water.. (similar to the air water interface of a waterfall system) I’ve had greater results with screens dusted with lotus rock floating at the surface (again better air to water interface) I’ve blasted screens with powerheads, bubbles you name it they never grow the same submersed as a waterfall system and never come close to same reductions. I’ve run 300gph of air over screens, I’ve run 30gph over screens, I’ve run 90gph through a reactor with screens and run 600gph both with and wo bubbles. Increase lighting to 300watt less and reduced to 9watt par 38’s.. I’ve tried every which way of submersible scrubbers you can imagine in past couple years. I’ve gotten better results from using planted fuges or refugiums with cheato (fresh vs salt)

I’m currently waiting on a finnex hob briefer to arrive to try a new submersed method using air, and bio media as well as both vehicle and hirazontal screens covered in crushed corals as a backing. I’ve had much less luck on freshwater tanks with submerged scrubbers over the years and basically trying best I can to copy a marine fuge setup which to date is still more effective then any other freshwater system I’ve seen to include waterfall systems.

I’ll be using an airline with spaces 3/32” holes every 1” lining the bottom perimeter of the hob as well as under the device sections. I will then make a boxed screen setup which makes for perimeter verticals screens as well as replacing the deviders with vertical screens while also lining the bottom in pond matrix on one half and fluval biomax rings on the other while also topping the screen with a horazontal screening at the surface. The idea is to see what grows the most hair algea with same conditions. Basically a 4/1 experiment. I’ll be using 360* lighting of less for flowing.

If I had to guess prior to starting this the bio media will outperform the screens 6x over minimum. I’ve left rinsed media in a bucket outside for 24h and come back to find thick algea growing all over it already with no water movement no nutrients just a stagnant bucket of forgotten tap water.

It’s my experience that in submersed designers the issue isn’t breaking the barrier as much as it is finding the proper surface for attachment.

Box and lights will arrive Monday and I’ll post pictures as I setup and design the system.. it’s my belief in several years of trying everything on multiple systems that fully submerged can be done wo bubbling or blasting flow over an area. The issue has never been beaming the tention at the algea its always been finding the proper foothold where it can thrive. We all have items in the tank growing gha all over and none of these things are getting bubbled or blasted with a powerhead. I’m actually amazed that after 10 is years of tinkering with this you all have not figured this out. Why is it a slick plant leaf can grow algea at will wo bubbles or flow while a textured screen with bubbles grows just slim? How come my sand or level substrate with the least flow and lighting can grow gha? Why is it that in my reef tank gha o my grows in low flow shaded areas of my rock? Always the same.. it’s the foothold. Lighting doesn’t matter, flow doesn’t matter, it’s always been about the substrate it’s attaching to..

I hope when this is over we have smaller cheaper commercialized systems that can be submerged. We will see..

FYI the first system I’ll be putting this is a perfectly healthy planted 55g freshwater tank that doesn’t have nutrient issues. Been testing it every day for past week waiting for product and it’s 10ppm nitrate and undetectable pho’s 24/7. So first test will be the absolute worse case.

Once that is done I’ll move it to a 125g packed full of predictor fish that is already running an upflow and air injected reactor. To see who can out compete who. FYI small reactor and large upflow give identicle results.

After that is complete I’ll put it on one of my saltwater systems. Not sure which yet as they are all ultra low already off regular fuges and really not looking forward to killing my fuge on any of them and upsetting the balance.

Ill post build pictures and updates here as things progress. My plan is to dispose of a lot of the myths and hear say on this topic. I know many of you have spent years testing various setups yet you all dismissed submerged systems right off the bat and that makes no sense as they need the least amount of room and can potentially have the most nutrient availability. And sorry to say the hogs suck.. never used one but I’ve never seen a single review of someone saying they can definitively say it reduced anything in Thier tank. You’ve given away thousands over the years to every YouTubed around and not one has given a review justifying the price tag or eyesore. They all grew algea to some extent yet not a one of them still uses it? Hmmmm

Enjoyed watching you and josh fight over the years tbh.. you know a lot about algae and he knows a lot about tanks. Love seeing turbos views over the years as he always seems to have a sensible approach.. just blows me away with the knowledge on this topic the three of you have that you all have never looked into the basics.. you’ve all been complacent through successful business that none of you have tried to thing logical about how or why algea grows on something but not another thing or why it’s always present in newer tanks with lots of clean rock? Or even why a ul nutrient tank still has gha showing up on rocks? Submerged has always been the answer to all but you’ve all stopped looking at the most nutrient rich atmosphere for algea and fell back on What was easy.. I guess it’s hard to market a $5 hob with $20 lighting and $20 of regular biomedia?

Shame in all of you and I can’t wait to prove it..

Kara82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little history on your system/contents might help, fill us in on that part as well.

Tank was started in March. My first batch of live rock came from my closest LFS. After hours arranging the perfect scape, i sat back to enjoy and noticed multiple beady eyes staring at me...the rock was full of mantis shrimpo_O;Dead I ended up tearing it all down trying to catch them, and chucking most of the rock, tho I kept some in my sump for a couple of months. I later tested the saltwater from this lfs's tanks after a few livestock purchases went south (they came good eventually) and discovered their nitrates maxed out my nitrate test's limit (160!!!) as soon as I shook it up. I no longer buy any livestock or rock from this store. But having kept the rock in my sump for a while certainly wouldn't have helped, it would have been leaching stuff everywhere. Located a much better lfs an hour away which is where all my current rock and coral came from. Tank maxed out at 80 nitrates after sponge die off/live rock scape settling etc - cue water changes and research.

Water changes kept it at 40, till I installed the algae scrubber. After that it slowly stabilised and very gradually declined, aided by waterchanges every fortnight. For the most part, the algae scrubber maintains my nitrates, rather than reducing them, partly due to the fact I feed quite heavily, and daily.

I have NPS (sun corals and dendrophyllia) I feed daily or every second day, LPS (hammers, frogspawn, Goniporea, alveopora, duncans, turbinaria, favia, goniastrea, heliofungia, blastos, lobos, trachy, fungia, rhodactis) and one purple tipped bta. All coral actively growing and eating except my most recent addition of 5 blue morphs which have all shriveled and let go one by one, and a second heliofungia which is melting. No idea why, some Duncan's I introduced at the same time from the same place are doing great. (Not the ones from the previous photos)

Fish: 1 x banggai cardinal
1x pj cardinal
Pair of young clowns
1 x purple firefish
1 x green mandarin
1 x scooter dragonet.
The mandarin and scooter are the reason I feed daily - they eat frozen plus I culture and add copepods. I feed the copepods a special prepared phyto mix which includes flaggelates. I dont have a sieve small enough so i have been concentrating the copepods into a half cup of their culture water and just pouring it in a couple times a week. I stopped doing this 2 weeks ago, afraid I was causing the algae outbreak with the nutrient rich mix.

Assorted snails, 2 x peppermint shrimp (snacking on my christmas tree worms crowns:mad:) hitchhiker crabs, asterina starfish, hairy brittle stars and serpent stars, fan worms etc abound

Sorry if I rambled, that's pretty much the tanks history. No catastrophes....yet....

Regarding your suggestions: points 1,2,3 and 4 acknowledged and agreed, thank you for pointing them out. (Point 5 unnecessary - the end cap is inside the sump area so no spillage)

I now plan to replace the light with a more appropriate spectrum, and try to build a cover to block the light from the rest of the sump. (Any links for designs?) While doing this I will build it double sided, which will hopefully be able to then do more than just maintain the nitrate level.

I will also work on the plumbing to add a Second overflow. The question is, do i bother doing all that in this tank, when i plan on upgrading to a 3 x 2foot soon. Perhaps I should get the new tank first, and then spend time on the new build.....

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was started in March.
Entereth my most frequently quoted article - Go to #15: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

You have a 6-12 month "reef cycle" that you may not have completed yet. Keep Alk, Cal & Mag stable and just let things happen. But IMO, cyano is there because the conditions are right for it, where it is showing up. It doesn't spawn growth on the scrubber and then spread to the tank.

The scrubber might be causing lowering of nutrients which in turn causes liberation of nutrients in other areas (I think I mentioned this already) which in turn leads to cyano. But in a very roundabout way, that's a good thing....in the long run.

For cyano and dinos, I get an airline tube (hard pipe) then some airline hose and make a mini-siphon. You can target siphon very well with minimal water removal. Do this at least once daily. Run a filter sock and use a power head to blow the stuff you can't siphon out, then clean the filter sock (don't leave it in the system). Run some carbon. Feed minimally, 15 minutes before lights out. I don't do a blackout. That's my short version

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed watching you and josh fight over the years tbh.. you know a lot about algae and he knows a lot about tanks. Love seeing turbos views over the years as he always seems to have a sensible approach.. just blows me away with the knowledge on this topic the three of you have that you all have never looked into the basics.. you’ve all been complacent through successful business that none of you have tried to thing logical about how or why algea grows on something but not another thing or why it’s always present in newer tanks with lots of clean rock? Or even why a ul nutrient tank still has gha showing up on rocks? Submerged has always been the answer to all but you’ve all stopped looking at the most nutrient rich atmosphere for algea and fell back on What was easy.. I guess it’s hard to market a $5 hob with $20 lighting and $20 of regular biomedia?
The issue has never been beaming the tention at the algea its always been finding the proper foothold where it can thrive. We all have items in the tank growing gha all over and none of these things are getting bubbled or blasted with a powerhead. I’m actually amazed that after 10 is years of tinkering with this you all have not figured this out. Why is it a slick plant leaf can grow algea at will wo bubbles or flow while a textured screen with bubbles grows just slim? How come my sand or level substrate with the least flow and lighting can grow gha? Why is it that in my reef tank gha o my grows in low flow shaded areas of my rock? Always the same.. it’s the foothold. Lighting doesn’t matter, flow doesn’t matter, it’s always been about the substrate it’s attaching to..
Not ignoring you - these are good questions, but I'm still playing catch-up from MACNA so I wanted to pick out these 2 paragraphs and get back to you (eventually) because I do have some thoughts

Kara82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entereth my most frequently quoted article - Go to #15: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

For cyano and dinos, I get an airline tube (hard pipe) then some airline hose and make a mini-siphon. You can target siphon very well with minimal water removal. Do this at least once daily. Run a filter sock and use a power head to blow the stuff you can't siphon out, then clean the filter sock (don't leave it in the system). Run some carbon. Feed minimally, 15 minutes before lights out. I don't do a blackout. That's my short version

Excellent article, thank you. That all makes sense. Ok, other than make a few improvements to the scrubber, I will siphon and....WAIT.:) Thank you for your time, you've been very helpful.

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ignoring you - these are good questions, but I'm still playing catch-up from MACNA so I wanted to pick out these 2 paragraphs and get back to you (eventually) because I do have some thoughts

I value your opinion... keep in mind I had a few beers when I posted this lol.. my items actually arrived today and I’ve started the constructio tonight. FYI I’m placing the standard up flow section first as I feel it’s bit a good reduction followed by the crusehded coral version (pretty much similar to the sold model using a textured screen.. then the final section will be my take on the situation as I fully believe porous media can as will make for a better home and allow for proper growth submerged. I’ll be bubbling the first two sections which in theory should leave my last section with almost nothing to grow. All three sections will have a roughed up screen only a 1/4” or so below the surface that will span the entire area of the system with each section being same as it’s submerged section in build. I’m about 1/2 the way through and currently watering on glue to set on the mid section to attached the crushed coral to the screen for the Santa Monica up flow versions. That said I’ve deceded to not wast my time cursing it to dust like ther version and using mostly full size slightly crushed media. I still believe my bio media section will outgrow it no questions even after getting the last of the nutrients and flow that’s passed through the first two sections. I’d love to build three of these and dedicate each to specific design principles but I’d be a single dad paying child support if I did. This is the first version to see which style of sumeged system works and why. I don’t by I to the submefed doesn’t work and needs bubbles to break boundary layer idea. If spent a lot of time reading up in this concept yet even since the 70’s its antidotal at best. I’m hoping this helps you and others better understand how this works and one day we can have a commercial built submefed unit that doesn’t have to sit in the side of the tank looking ugly. I think a simple surface screen across a sump would be very easy to incorporate and yield same results by simply using the surface area of sump flows wo adding additional equipment. (This is infact where scrubbers started)

No matter what I value your view and you always seem to look at things with open mind.. I know you’re always encouraging new ideas.

I fully believe a submersed setup is the most praricle overall design. Most nutrients and easiest to use for 99.9% if fresh and salt systems. I’ll be honest my main goal it to find the best freshwater system. My salt tanks run uln with no skimmers etc.. just good fuge and ok lighting. 90% of the market is freshwater tanks and in fresh water everyone is told to just do water changes to remove nitrates. I don’t believe this at all. I’ve not changed water in any of my freshwater tanks in 2 or so years and nitrates are never over 50.. including lreditokr tanks. I’ve tried 100 different systems and all work so far on these tanks but I’m looking for a one and done option for others.

The thin slime algae of an upflow with bubble which is noisy and not effeceient. Most freshwater tanks even up to 210 plus gallons don’t use sinks.. I’m looking for an all around option.

Against our rocks grow gha wo issue.. I’ve taken media from torn down tanks and left in a bucket for a day in sunlight and flint it covered in green.. if the issue was barrier we would never have algea geoong inside our tanks except in high flow areas which it’s always in lower flow areas. Based on this alone the common premise is wrong by logic alone. Submerged can grow and out compete other systems and it has nothing to do with boundary layered and flows..

I’m not biologists but 20 years of fish keeping and fighting algea issues in different tanks this much I know..

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this said.. your advice to the most recent poster I feel is solid.. the most important is tanks under 1 year old will have issues as they are still cycling/ “maturing”. It takes a tank over 1 year before things settle and become stable and easier to address.

FYI this is why my concept is being tested on no tank less then 2 years old.. and low nutrient tanks at that. I feel any high nutrient system can grow algea in any fashion given a place to grow it. That imop doesn’t make it the best way. I have fuges that grow gha on slick plastic, glass or lexan surfaces better then I can get in an upflow tryin to grow algea. There is much simpler reasons for this and it’s not barrier reduction. There is a reason a floating cheto can’t out compete gha attaches to a rock.. lighting cycle ime means more then anything Hong else with what it’s atrachkng to being second..

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 days in to test. 1st section is typical roughed up #7 mesh screen that was roughed up with a power sander. Running a 60gallon rated air pump with dual outlets and t to run a single line under the screen with 5 3/32 holes..

Second submerged section is a roughed screen same as first section with a little crushed coral glue to it. It’s facing upwards in this fashion as the three sections are baffled like a sump and first overflows while second chamber underflows to third so this should provide best contact time.

Third section is some fluval biomax super glued top to bottom in columns for the return section.

Maybe my eyes deceive me but after 6 days since starting running 24/7 lighting look at those 4” long strands coming off the biomax media while the crushed coral is showing signs of growth similar to the screen section. But I thought submerged scrubbers don’t work wo bubbles?

Tank currently being used is a freshwater turtle tank that was running 50ppm nitrites 6 days ago when system was put in place. No water was changed. Nothing else on the tank wast changed. Simple hung this simple finnex hob fuge on the system with a 90gph pump feeding it. Simple amazon rope grow lights wrapped with 1/2” spacing 360* around the fikter and secured by ductape to cut light bleed down. The biomax was old previously used media that had been rinsed in a bucket for 1hour then laid out in the sun on concrete to dry for 1 day then has been stored in a sealed bucket for past 6 months or so.

Like I said before the entire idea of bubbles concept is bs at best. It’s snake oil. And clearly submerged not only can and does work but as the pictures show. Easily outperforms mesh screen with bubbles (the only so called submerged system) 100x over. Also notice the best starting growth in the bubbles upflow screen is on the right side? Yeah that’s where the baffle over flows to the next section so the area where there is bubbles breaking the magical barrier is still white.. what is on both the crushed coral screen and the mesh upflow screen look more like diatoms then algae. Yet the submerged biomax section skipped the diatom phase and went staring to 4” long gha?

It’s never been about some magical barrier to break with bubbles or air, it’s never been about upflow or waterfall etc.. it’s always been proper substrate. Rocks in our tanks would look like a forest if we ran 24/7 grow lights on them.. I’m going to keep this going for some time to show the total possibilities.

If I was an algae turf scrubber company I think I’d stop dismissing this option and start rethinking the past 10 years of lies that have been told and assumptions made. I’ll never discredit the use of waterfall systems as I think they allow people to add them wo changing sump setups and as such is still a viable product although little over priced imop.

During testing as each section has its own overflow I will in no manner be harvesting and scrapping off algea. We want less work better results. Let’s see what happens wo weekly or bi weekly harvesting. Long as there is still growth wo die off the system will be untouched and continue to be lit 24/7.

I will be totally honest this was the result I knew was going to Halle but I didn’t expect such a drastic difference so quick. I think many of us should start thinking where all that old media we put away years ago can be repurposed..

00669140-A0D0-4A0E-AB24-27C6D4EBE54D.jpeg 84EAFF8F-E0E6-4EA4-8B89-D5D1A66238DB.jpeg image.jpg 4BC692B7-1CC7-4A01-84AA-2247C02D06D1.jpeg 8F499DD1-A199-448A-BC3F-DB65DB0FF925.jpeg C960B31B-7D95-47B7-8C2C-45A99219295C.jpeg

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok went back and looked at photos they by no means due justification or even show what is happening lol.. going to have to figure out how to get better pics..

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Darth.Daddy12 I can appreciate your skepticism, and your efforts to figure out what works best. Keep going. However, just based on what you posted here recently, I don't think that warrants drawing any conclusion or calling anyone out on their BS. I get it though, I do.

One thing I caught in this post above - you're using freshwater, which grows completely different algae than saltwater. I don't even market to freshwater because of it, scrubbers are IMO not effective (enough) in FW.

Also, substrate is only one factor. It is not "the" factor, not IMO.

Plastic canvas takes time to get algae growing because of the nature of plastic (microscopically smooth). The media you are using is much rougher and porous, so it makes sense that it would get seeded faster.

I have already seen one new product where the growth substrate is fully underwater and it grows algae just fine without bubbles - but it has a ton of turbulence, which believe is the key. I don't know if this product will make it to market because of the Pax Bellum patent, but if it does, it looks like it would fit a nice niche in the algae scrubber marketplace. My point is that I agree with you that bubbles are not necessary, but I'm on the fence with it being snake oil - I ran tests when it was first released and bubble made a difference in those tests. My tests also revealed that the waterfall is much more effective - if it were the reverse, I'd be making the upflows like crazy

Regarding innovation, don't worry. I'm on that one. I've come up with a solution that takes care of the last remaining time-consuming step that I have when building my scrubbers - roughing up screens by hand (which SUCKS when you have dozens of them to do). I still need to do some testing & verification but it will be a new idea.

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Darth.Daddy12 I can appreciate your skepticism, and your efforts to figure out what works best. Keep going. However, just based on what you posted here recently, I don't think that warrants drawing any conclusion or calling anyone out on their crap. I get it though, I do.

One thing I caught in this post above - you're using freshwater, which grows completely different algae than saltwater. I don't even market to freshwater because of it, scrubbers are IMO not effective (enough) in FW.

Also, substrate is only one factor. It is not "the" factor, not IMO.

Plastic canvas takes time to get algae growing because of the nature of plastic (microscopically smooth). The media you are using is much rougher and porous, so it makes sense that it would get seeded faster.

I have already seen one new product where the growth substrate is fully underwater and it grows algae just fine without bubbles - but it has a ton of turbulence, which believe is the key. I don't know if this product will make it to market because of the Pax Bellum patent, but if it does, it looks like it would fit a nice niche in the algae scrubber marketplace. My point is that I agree with you that bubbles are not necessary, but I'm on the fence with it being snake oil - I ran tests when it was first released and bubble made a difference in those tests. My tests also revealed that the waterfall is much more effective - if it were the reverse, I'd be making the upflows like crazy

Regarding innovation, don't worry. I'm on that one. I've come up with a solution that takes care of the last remaining time-consuming step that I have when building my scrubbers - roughing up screens by hand (which SUCKS when you have dozens of them to do). I still need to do some testing & verification but it will be a new idea.
I’m glad someone is still looking forward in this area. I know salt vs fresh has had differences in growth mainly fresh being an issue of working efffectivly which is one reason I set this up first on freshwater tank that I felt is typical freshwater system in terms of nutrients levels in day a large predator system. I will move this to a salt system eventually but my issue there is that.. my tanks are all ulm to start with where I’m having to modulate my refugium lighting times to keep from sucking everything out of the tank. I’ve frankly never had an issue on saltwater where I would need a scrubber tbh. So my issue now is.. do I start dosing on of the tanks to elevate levels just to test? That’s a hard one to chew on for me cause why make an issue that doesn’t exist already just to tinker with it? I’m in the process of setting up a new reef system so maybe I can do this on that from the start during the Fowler stage before adding corals? But that likely won’t happen till beginning of next year.

As for turbulence.. I’m specifically running suck a small 90gph pump because of this. You can’t even see the water moving in this setup in chambers 2-3 it almost looks stagnant. Have to look at the overflow back to the tank to make sure it’s still working lol.

I don’t know how you’re roughing screens but I use a belt sander and it takes me maybe 1min per side to work a 2x2 piece. This is why I threw some crushed coral in the one screen. If we can adhere some small rough media pieces then wouldn’t this stop the need to rough a screen? The trick I found is how to adhere it wo clogging up the flow. That’s why the screen I’m testing is o my about 50% covered

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a much more involved process for roughing up the screen which I feel allows better long term adhesion. The short term adhesion is provided by the mortar, which is a sacrificial layer (it comes off over time during harvesting)

This is the process I am replacing with something better (and easier to produce). But that’s a few months away.

CO2doser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 7 years experience, strong flow and bubble are not necessary to make it success.

Here is my setup, backside sump without skimmer, socks, and media. There is an algae scrubber, no bubble, only weak flow of sump circulation, hung and submerged in back. By definition, it is not an UAS (up flow algae scrubber driven by bubbling), nor ATS, which hung in air with strong flow. I should give it a name, like SAS (submerged algae scrubber).

It was UAS when started, but I turned off the bubble after one year, and no obvious difference found on GHA growth.
Flow or bubble is not necessary for an algae scrubber. SAS is good enough.
50w LED plant growth light with 7:1 red/blue ratio is hung on the backside and shines about 500par on scrubber from 20:00 to 14:00 next day.
It grows 100g of GHA per week and capable to keep N/P not detectable.

My build

P_20190915_093656_p.jpg P_20190915_093045_p.jpg P_20190915_093203_p.jpg

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 7 years experience, strong flow and bubble are not necessary to make it success.

Here is my setup, backside sump without skimmer, socks, and media. There is an algae scrubber, no bubble, only weak flow of sump circulation, hung and submerged in back. By definition, it is not an UAS (up flow algae scrubber driven by bubbling), nor ATS, which hung in air with strong flow. I should give it a name, like SAS (submerged algae scrubber).

It was UAS when started, but I turned off the bubble after one year, and no obvious difference found on GHA growth.
Flow or bubble is not necessary for an algae scrubber. SAS is good enough.
50w LED plant growth light with 7:1 red/blue ratio is hung on the backside and shines about 500par on scrubber from 20:00 to 14:00 next day.
It grows 100g of GHA per week and capable to keep N/P not detectable.

My build

P_20190915_093656_p.jpg P_20190915_093045_p.jpg P_20190915_093203_p.jpg
Upflow works it’s jusr ugly to see and super non efficient on freshwater. As someone with both systems I want a one size fits all solution and I believe that is possible as despite what is said many things are the same. Like bacteria.. the same bacteria are in both setups. Saltwater bacteria doesn’t die in freshwater or vise versa it’s the same! Not till salinity goes well over what reef stands are does the types of haters change this is why there isn’t any bottles bateria or dormant sand that is labeled saltwater or freshwater only.. MB7 is used in both like a religion. Yet this is a common wives tale.

As for algea yes gha is a little different. It gorwos linger and thinner in freshwater and little thicker in salt.. imop it’s the same stuff growing differently because of density changes in the water but I’m sure 100 people will disagree with this cause they stayed at a holiday inn last year and watched a discovery channel show last week. (Before a really biologist responds yes I’m aware of the subtle differences and species and that they can cross love between salinity levels however they really are the same ****. You’re splitting hairs. We ended just one yard for a first down doesn’t matter if we got 1 yard and a hair it’s the same **** at least in terms of what we are purposefully trying to grow)

It’s my take there is no reason to sacrifice performance and visual appeal between different systems. Also no reason a sump has to be used or not. I liken this to cheato.. 5 years ago you needed a large fuge in a sump to grow cheato and today we can accomplish the same with an aq70 hob fikter and $20 Amazon light..

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a much more involved process for roughing up the screen which I feel allows better long term adhesion. The short term adhesion is provided by the mortar, which is a sacrificial layer (it comes off over time during harvesting)

This is the process I am replacing with something better (and easier to produce). But that’s a few months away.

Thanks for sharing that.. hope you don’t mind my input here from a construction professional stand point who tinkers in your profession.

Most of what you’re doing to rough up the screen is only so the mortar adheres better. Algea will grow on glass which is one of the smoothest substances on the planet.

A wire brush is not effective to rough up a surface it’s a toll designed to remove rough areas wo overly screeching up smoother areas.. (simple lame terms hope this makes sense.. example wire wheels are used to remove slag off welds and polish the weld itself wo doing extensive damage to the metal work piece)

I would never in 100 years use mortar. Construction type concrete products need minimum 30 days dry cure time before you can even paint or caulk them cause even though they are dry in the outside they are still curing and releasing gassed which will flake and peel paints and caulks. Ever walk into the back of a warehouse and see paint peeling off the concrete walls by the loading docks? That’s cause they painted it before the concrete was done curing. Final cure doesn’t actually happen till about 120 days after application.

Second issue with mortar is there are many Chemiclean that are leeching during this time and even after that really are not good. You can get lucky with one type that doesn’t have harsh chemicals used in the hardening but best case this is raising a tanks PH and ALK worst case your introducing I know things into your tank.

I’m by bo means bashing your system.. I’d have to come see it first hand to say if it’s possibly ok.. but.. in construction this would be a big No no and that’s just for applying paint more or less putting it into a life sustaining system. I would never ever chance this.

The reason for the hand blading is to get the deeper cuts for the mortar to stick.. this isn’t needed.

Take it for what it’s worth.. I would power sand with 40 or 60 grit and be done. In fact I’ve done my tests with just 120 grit and it’s taken a fraction of the time and effort and I’ve not seen results les then when I did it by hand using 40 grit.

As for the mortar.. I understand the need for something porous for the algea to attach too.. any cementisiois material will work as will any poris media.. this is why I choose fluval bio for my testing. Which btw is 2x what it was last post. And even the crushed coral is showing signs of turf pockets.. the bubbles screen is still well we won’t go there..

If you can take some advice and constructive criticism which I think you of all can above the others... as you’ve always had an open mind to this.. go to your local landscape company buy some Punic rock in bulk at low pricing and figure out a way to attach it to the screen in smaller pieces.. you’ll have better results then the mortar and no risk of contamination which even if you’re customers haven’t reported I can promise you with using an uncured cmu product is happening. I would even contemplate using modeling clay and placing in a kiln to harden before doing what you are doing.

Truthfully I don’t think the mesh is needed at all. Pumic is porous enough to allow water to flow through at a decent rate. You could likely even reduce pump size and get similar or better results like this. I’m running 90gph advertised pump flow which I’ll guess is at best from what I can see is 50 lol.. I have pond matrix media in some hob filters and best I can tell I can hit about 300gph before I get some bypass in this filters.

Figure out how to attach some Punice to a screen that can be used for upflow, waterfalls etc wo reducing flow from glue and you won’t have to make scrubbers anymore just supply screens to everyone who already has one. The green grabber version isn’t the right angle..

Look at the growth in just the last day maybe 2 can’t remeber when I posted.. it’s under light so everything that looks brown is bright green algea gowth.. the growth is easily 2-3x what it was on the bio media and 50x what it was on the crushed coral while the bubbled screen is progressing like we’ve all seen screen progress needing weeks to mature.. I have 2” of hair algea inside the tank now that the fish are eating from the overflow lol.

Which I’d have had a larger box now so I could have used some matrix media to compare to the fluval bio max.. I think after the bubble screen fails compared to the crushed coral and media I’ll replace that chamber with some matrix glued together and do this again to see if it can compete. IMO was he more poris the media the better the results will be. This is for several reasons. One easier for algea to adhere to.. but less obvious answer.. I think a media that can storeand hold nutrients actually helps the growth as the roots have 24/7 access to them.

Think about this.. how many of us have uses a live rock that we had to remove cause it wouldn’t stop growing algea and we attribute that to it leaching phosphates? Now that rock is feeding the very thing we want to remove them..

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that.. hope you don’t mind my input here from a construction professional stand point who tinkers in your profession.

Most of what you’re doing to rough up the screen is only so the mortar adheres better. Algea will grow on glass which is one of the smoothest substances on the planet.

A wire brush is not effective to rough up a surface it’s a toll designed to remove rough areas wo overly screeching up smoother areas.. (simple lame terms hope this makes sense.. example wire wheels are used to remove slag off welds and polish the weld itself wo doing extensive damage to the metal work piece)

I would never in 100 years use mortar. Construction type concrete products need minimum 30 days dry cure time before you can even paint or caulk them cause even though they are dry in the outside they are still curing and releasing gassed which will flake and peel paints and caulks. Ever walk into the back of a warehouse and see paint peeling off the concrete walls by the loading docks? That’s cause they painted it before the concrete was done curing. Final cure doesn’t actually happen till about 120 days after application.

Second issue with mortar is there are many Chemiclean that are leeching during this time and even after that really are not good. You can get lucky with one type that doesn’t have harsh chemicals used in the hardening but best case this is raising a tanks PH and ALK worst case your introducing I know things into your tank.

I’m by bo means bashing your system.. I’d have to come see it first hand to say if it’s possibly ok.. but.. in construction this would be a big No no and that’s just for applying paint more or less putting it into a life sustaining system. I would never ever chance this.

The reason for the hand blading is to get the deeper cuts for the mortar to stick.. this isn’t needed.

Take it for what it’s worth.. I would power sand with 40 or 60 grit and be done. In fact I’ve done my tests with just 120 grit and it’s taken a fraction of the time and effort and I’ve not seen results les then when I did it by hand using 40 grit.

As for the mortar.. I understand the need for something porous for the algea to attach too.. any cementisiois material will work as will any poris media.. this is why I choose fluval bio for my testing. Which btw is 2x what it was last post. And even the crushed coral is showing signs of turf pockets.. the bubbles screen is still well we won’t go there..

If you can take some advice and constructive criticism which I think you of all can above the others... as you’ve always had an open mind to this.. go to your local landscape company buy some Punic rock in bulk at low pricing and figure out a way to attach it to the screen in smaller pieces.. you’ll have better results then the mortar and no risk of contamination which even if you’re customers haven’t reported I can promise you with using an uncured cmu product is happening. I would even contemplate using modeling clay and placing in a kiln to harden before doing what you are doing.

Truthfully I don’t think the mesh is needed at all. Pumic is porous enough to allow water to flow through at a decent rate. You could likely even reduce pump size and get similar or better results like this. I’m running 90gph advertised pump flow which I’ll guess is at best from what I can see is 50 lol.. I have pond matrix media in some hob filters and best I can tell I can hit about 300gph before I get some bypass in this filters.

Figure out how to attach some Punice to a screen that can be used for upflow, waterfalls etc wo reducing flow from glue and you won’t have to make scrubbers anymore just supply screens to everyone who already has one. The green grabber version isn’t the right angle..

Look at the growth in just the last day maybe 2 can’t remeber when I posted.. it’s under light so everything that looks brown is bright green algea gowth.. the growth is easily 2-3x what it was on the bio media and 50x what it was on the crushed coral while the bubbled screen is progressing like we’ve all seen screen progress needing weeks to mature.. I have 2” of hair algea inside the tank now that the fish are eating from the overflow lol.

Which I’d have had a larger box now so I could have used some matrix media to compare to the fluval bio max.. I think after the bubble screen fails compared to the crushed coral and media I’ll replace that chamber with some matrix glued together and do this again to see if it can compete. IMO was he more poris the media the better the results will be. This is for several reasons. One easier for algea to adhere to.. but less obvious answer.. I think a media that can storeand hold nutrients actually helps the growth as the roots have 24/7 access to them.

Think about this.. how many of us have uses a live rock that we had to remove cause it wouldn’t stop growing algea and we attribute that to it leaching phosphates? Now that rock is feeding the very thing we want to remove them..

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Grabbed a flashlight to bleed out some of the purple lighting to show exactly what is going on.. look at the strands coming off the media! Looks at how the crushed coral is growing.. this was setup in mid day Sunday the 8ththis month. I’ve followed this topic for better part of 10 years all through Santa Monica’s reintroduction and 100’s of peoples personal experiences and not one has ever shown this kind of growth this fast. It’s taken months before people get these kids of results.

The issue is and always has been the substrate.

8F5EB696-92D6-4DB7-8C18-900E4FE58D45.jpeg 609D415E-7C76-42B9-B751-184523635DF8.jpeg 5F82B6DD-6B98-48DA-B79E-4C69769133A8.jpeg 7E64CA88-101D-4D30-9A51-4F1DD8A48CEB.jpeg

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed a flashlight to bleed out some of the purple lighting to show exactly what is going on.. look at the strands coming off the media! Looks at how the crushed coral is growing.. this was setup in mid day Sunday the 8ththis month. I’ve followed this topic for better part of 10 years all through Santa Monica’s reintroduction and 100’s of peoples personal experiences and not one has ever shown this kind of growth this fast. It’s taken months before people get these kids of results.

The issue is and always has been the substrate.

8F5EB696-92D6-4DB7-8C18-900E4FE58D45.jpeg 609D415E-7C76-42B9-B751-184523635DF8.jpeg 5F82B6DD-6B98-48DA-B79E-4C69769133A8.jpeg 7E64CA88-101D-4D30-9A51-4F1DD8A48CEB.jpeg
I know I’ve come off like a bull in a china shop recently.. that’s partially on purpose. I’m by no means discrediting the previous work out into this nor trying to discredit any specific business. I’m only trying to progress the hobby in a field i personally feel has gotten comfortable and stoped trying to progress thinking that thier indirect ideals on certain issues are like submerged filters can’t be done. Tbh had I not had a failed attempt at a java moss wall on my fighters planted tank where I turned off the air pump and then suddenly it started growing algea I would’ve never come down this path. Upon trying to figure out how this happened naturally while seeing what I feel is disinformation from lack of effort and common sense I would’ve never came to this conclusion. Wasn’t really till I started another saltwater tank in my house and was having issue with diatoms on matature love rock covered in biological bacteria and film that everything clicked for me. We keep trying to make a simple thing complicated. Reason we can’t out compete an in tank issue with an out of tank solution fast enough is cause we are not using in tank items.. like poris rock. I challenge everyone with current issues to add live rock rubble to your fuge and run fuge lighting 24/7 for 2 weeks and see if this doesn’t work..

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I see with what your doing with the substrate on the screen and such, How on earth will you clean that? Cleaning the screen is what you do to remove the nutrients your growing, otherwise an ATS is just a favorable place to grow algae besides your DT.

Roughing up the screen is so the algae can attach, has nothing to do with attaching mortar(I started running an ATS long before anyone thought of attaching mortar to the screen). And no I have never seen algae attach to glass, film algae, yes, but GHA, heck no. It needs a porous surface to attach to, and glass certainly is not(Yes GHA can attach to glass, but only after the film alage has and the GHA attach's to the film). I can tell you from personal experience on my waterfall scrubber, where I did not rough up the screen near the top, algae has a hard time attaching, yet where I roughed up the screen, it holds on for dear life and after a couple years of using the same screen, I think I would need a chisel to get it all off the screen, and yet the top where I did not rough it up, is still pristine white.

FWIW, your comment about cement could not be further from the truth. You do realize people make rock walls, and heck even man made live rock out of concrete and use it in their tanks for years with 0 issues? Of course you have to let it cure for a time, but once cured it is completely harmless in our tanks.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Would any of the pro’s care to watch and comment on this reactor to scrubber conversion attempt? "

You need to get an air/water interface going in there, like waves on a beach. Easiest way is to run a circle of airline around the bottom, with little cuts so the bubbles run up the inside of the screen. Without that the growth will be minimal.

"Light is a 15 watt led floodlights, spectrum 5700K"

For your waterfall, which is my design from 2008, it's a good first try and certainly better than nothing as you have found. You need to clean more often though because of that very weak light. The cyano growth is probably letting go and that might be what you are seeing spread. Weak light can grow cyano like this. Clean everything off of the screen so the screen is white and visible.

But to improve, the light is really too weak and the wrong color. That 15 watts is power from the wall, not power of light. It's probably only 8 watts of light. And almost no red, which is what you need most. So easiest change is to get a 20 watt pure red 660nm light, which will be ten times the light power as far as the algae is concerned. And put it a bit closer to the screen if you can.

Next most important is to get a light on the other side. The roots are shading and dying too quick. Don't do a 1 sided waterfall if you can avoid it. You can do a 1 sided bubble upflow more so, because the growth does not mat down and shade as quick, but for a waterfall you really need 2 sided.

Here are some guidelines:

Scrubbers are sized according to feeding. Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons or liters you have. So...

An example VERTICAL upflow or waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real florescent watts (not equivalent watts) of light, or half that for LEDs, for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts (6 watts LED) are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If the watts are divided on each side of the screen, it is a 2-sided screen. This should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (30 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

Problem rocks: Each 50 pounds (2.2 kg) of nuisance algae covered rocks you have adds 1 cube a day.

Flow or air bubbles is always 24 hours; water flow is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen [60 lph per cm], EVEN IF one sided or horizontal.

FLOATING SURFACE SCRUBBERS WITH STRINGS: Screen size is the size of the box (Length X Width), and is 2-sided because the strings grow in 3D.

Clean algae:

Every 7 to 14 days, or
When it's black, or
When it fills up, or
When algae lets go, or
When nutrients start to rise

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back