Algea from Florida in a reef

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad just got back from florida with around 5-6 lbs of Gracilia Marco algea. If I quarantine this stuff and only use a small piece is it ok to use in my reef tanks and to pass along to friends? I’ve never taken anything from the ocean before.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo of the algea I’m talking about

Attachments

• 215BF61D-7094-4D14-BE25-20CE291A7BB4.jpeg
    215BF61D-7094-4D14-BE25-20CE291A7BB4.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 193

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some green mixed in with the red. I keep macro algae in all of my systems, some utilitarian & some ornamental.

Check out this guide on Florida/Caribbean seaweeds. Then tell us what you got.

Looks like I have caulpera ash. , gracilaria p. , and geldium sp. is any of that dangerous?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I have caulpera ash. , gracilaria p. , and geldium sp. is any of that dangerous?
Looks like you also have Codium, a slow-growing, decorative algae.
I haven't tried Caulerpa asmeadii, though I've read it's a more manageable species of Caulerpa.
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookashmeadii.htm
As for the rest, I never had any issues with them (growing too fast, etc.), but Gelidium is said to be very difficult to remove once established. Do you have any pictures of this specific algae?
Did you mean Gracilaria parvispora? This species is not found in the Atlantic.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you also have Codium, a slow-growing, decorative algae.
I haven't tried Caulerpa asmeadii, though I've read it's a more manageable species of Caulerpa.
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookashmeadii.htm
As for the rest, I never had any issues with them (growing too fast, etc.), but Gelidium is said to be very difficult to remove once established. Do you have any pictures of this specific algae?
Did you mean Gracilaria parvispora? This species is not found in the Atlantic.
I’m honestly not sure. Even with the guide they look super similar to me. It looks like two different gracilaria to me so I’m not sure which it is. There’s 2-3 species of red algea in there and a caulpera but I’m worried about the caulpera going sexual and over growing everything

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks nice and rich. When I brought some back, it did not make it and the ones I brought back in August was devoured by my tangs

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like others have you covered on the macroalgae part of your question, so to answer the other part: if you want to be absolutely safe with it, then yes, you’d want to quarantine it.

For clarification here, the odds of macroalgae bringing diseases into a tank are very slim, so the QT is less for disease and more for pests that might be hitching a ride. So, basically you run it fallow for a minimum of 45 days at 81F (many people suggest 76 days to be safe on the disease front), and observe it to see if there are any hitchhikers you’d want to remove before adding it to your tank or giving it to your friends.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly not sure. Even with the guide they look super similar to me. It looks like two different gracilaria to me so I’m not sure which it is. There’s 2-3 species of red algea in there and a caulpera but I’m worried about the caulpera going sexual and over growing everything
Sorry about the late response.
The red algae might also be Agardhiella subulata; I don't know how to differentiate this from the Atlantic Gracilaria tikvahiae. Both are edible to herbivores.
I never had any issues with Caulerpa with regular pruning. Water changes and carbon can be used when Caulerpa goes sexual.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some green mixed in with the red. I keep macro algae in all of my systems, some utilitarian & some ornamental.

Check out this guide on Florida/Caribbean seaweeds. Then tell us what you got.

Been wanting to setup a seaweed refugium since the 80s. Planning a trip to the keys to collect and considering picking up some weed but now I’m intrigued by this thread and might take a different approach.

My intent was purely for nutrient control and CO2 removal but using caulerpa might make for a more attractive refugium/display system attached to main.

Perhaps a recommendation on which are fastest growing although I’ll try grabbing a few and testing it out. I’ll check out the guide you posted but anything specific you recommend I’d focus on?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“My intent was purely for nutrient control and CO2 removal but using caulerpa might make for a more attractive refugium/display system attached to main.”

@GARRIGA
Most fast growing seaweeds go sexual when nutrients bottom out and light intensity is high. I like Caulerpa Prolifera. I use Grape Caulerpa to feed herbivore fish.

This tank has Bortacladia, Red Grapes, and some Dragons Breath that came in on Gulf Live Rock. Also in this tank is red macro grab bag from Live Plants, Gulf Coast EcoSystems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 142

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“My intent was purely for nutrient control and CO2 removal but using caulerpa might make for a more attractive refugium/display system attached to main.”

@GARRIGA
Most fast growing seaweeds go sexual when nutrients bottom out and light intensity is high. I like Caulerpa Prolifera. I use Grape Caulerpa to feed herbivore fish.

This tank has Bortacladia, Red Grapes, and some Dragons Breath that came in on Gulf Live Rock. Also in this tank is red macro grab bag from Live Plants, Gulf Coast EcoSystems.
What are your lights and schedule? They look great!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fast growing seaweeds go sexual when nutrients bottom out and light intensity is high.
I'm inferring that in heavily fed and nutrient balanced tank where light intensity can be adjusted that seaweed would potentially make a viable alternative. Easiest for me to source and always plentiful. Plus wouldn't they give clues of going sexual? I believe other macro algae start to turn white and I think you or another on this thread mentioned that could be solved with carbon. I also plan to incorporate ozone, assuming I can get comfortable with a safe implementation.

Having a seaweed filter has intrigued me since first learning about algal turf scrubbers as those were $400 plus and didn't last long as a retail item once focus turned to commercial applications.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GARRIGA
The post on using activated carbon addressed cleaning up water after seaweed went sexual.

I don’t see ozone preventing sexual events with seaweed. Please explain how ozone helps.

I have used seaweed in my reef tanks for many years and have seen a dozen seaweed survival events. Different seaweeds respond differrently: red grapes lose flotation balls, some fast growing Caulerpa show white instead on growth tips. I have had both Caulerpa Parvispora & Caulerpa Prolifera go sexual during lights out with no obvious indicators.

Once, in a different system with lights on, Caulerpa Parvispora oozed a white substance from cylindrical stems that had doubled in diameter. I removed that runner and immediately dosed 20ml of ammonia into a 55G tank.

Back