NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

laziest bunch of nerites ever. Popped all of them off this corner and placed on LR two days ago...
They did nothing, and are back.
So funny. They like the green film algae that grows on the glass.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they will also lay eggs on one another ,good multipliers ;)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some nerites around 6 or 8 in my tank from reefcleaners (best place for CUC!) for the first week or two they seemed to do very little. Now that they have been in the tank for around a month, they made HUGE headway on two large pieces of my LR, clearing it of bubble and GHA almost completely so far.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEEN A FEW DAYS

I learned a hard lesson this week.

I knew that it mattered on who to put in the tank first. But I didnt think it would matter that bad.

I just added 5 Chromis (thankfully on $10/each) and all but 1 was beat to death.
I dont know if it was the Valentini or the Lemonpeel.
But I am going to Lowe's soon and getting stuff to make an acclimation chamber.
It was really hard to wake up the last 5 days and see a chromis with a bright red line on one of its sides, near the dorsal fin. Even worse to see the struggle it had trying to swim and then eventually being in so much pain, it gave up on life.

I should have done it after I lost my Mocha Vinci, but i wasnt thinking
The one chromis that is left has kind of bonded with Mocha i have left. Its cute to see them swimming around together. But still sad. The school of 5 chromis was so beautiful to watch (for all of one day). It always happened at night too. I never saw aggression during feedings or during the day.

But lesson learned regardless :/

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEEN A FEW DAYS

I learned a hard lesson this week.

I knew that it mattered on who to put in the tank first. But I didnt think it would matter that bad.

I just added 5 Chromis (thankfully on $10/each) and all but 1 was beat to death.
I dont know if it was the Valentini or the Lemonpeel.
But I am going to Lowe's soon and getting stuff to make an acclimation chamber.
It was really hard to wake up the last 5 days and see a chromis with a bright red line on one of its sides, near the dorsal fin. Even worse to see the struggle it had trying to swim and then eventually being in so much pain, it gave up on life.

I should have done it after I lost my Mocha Vinci, but i wasnt thinking
The one chromis that is left has kind of bonded with Mocha i have left. Its cute to see them swimming around together. But still sad. The school of 5 chromis was so beautiful to watch (for all of one day). It always happened at night too. I never saw aggression during feedings or during the day.

But lesson learned regardless :/
That is really sad, and I’m sorry for the loss. Acclimation boxes are great tools, and they have helped me many times, so I would think one might help you too. I have had several fish get killed by others, and it’s one of the worst things to see.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi sorry too hear,you should move over to the slow lane ;) i know exciting!! as said everywhere patience,hate too see you wasting money ,and livestock,i know you care about every animal,rushing is asking for disaster,i'm sorry ,just my opinion:)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi sorry too hear,you should move over to the slow lane ;) i know exciting!! as said everywhere patience,hate too see you wasting money ,and livestock,i know you care about every animal,rushing is asking for disaster,i'm sorry ,just my opinion:)

I know! I have a set list of fish, and my LFS got an order of 50 chromis in. I thought why not check another off.
No more fish for a little while, unless a clown comes up that I like. But I may wait a few rounds even then.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D081033-0BB5-4A61-8E41-4FAAE757ECC8.jpeg

One of the best tips I read on here is that every tank is its own.
here is a month in on my fuge.
As seen my cheato is not doing well, at all. I expect in two-three months time there to be none left. This is why I bought sea lettuce and cheato at the same time. I wanted my tank to tell me what is best for it.
and holy cow my lettuce has exploded. I’ve been taking the torn chunks and putting them in the display for the Angel. This lettuce has allowed me to only do one 10% water change in the last month. I didn’t even NEED to do it, parameters we’re fine, I more just felt like the sand needed a good vac.

so, although I’ve lost some fish this last month. Overall the biomechanics of the tank are thriving. From my copious amounts of copepods that have decided they love the display more than the fuge, to the CUC keeping the diatoms And cyano At bay, to the sea lettuce keeps PO4 and NO3 in check. Man. I’m doing pretty good. Pretty proud of what I’ve been able to accomplish in just three months.

P.S. the nerites finally left the corner

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,looks good,great score,but i do not see much topwater movement?? that you need ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back