fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
getting better water production yet?? being new takes a few hours to break in ;)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Turned off the hose.
been playing around
9B471FEA-7B1F-4BBE-94B5-94D8DF884F9D.jpeg

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have time for another hobby? You need a bigger tank! :D
The picture looks great! If I did that it would look like a mud pile!

I just dabble. Actually this is the first time I picked up a paint brush in years.
I made three over the weekend:
C0099BDD-45E6-4770-9F53-2D94EB384C93.jpeg
BE15AE5E-F61E-422E-A459-903107425D3E.jpeg
B05EBA11-4B02-449F-98B1-F34A08ECF929.jpeg

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice stuff! Don't take it as criticism, but just some extra details to think about to help send work over the edge! Keep in mind on stuff like the desert scene, shadows aren't just darker versions of the same hue, but slightly different tinted hues based on cloud coverage and ambient light reflecting off the environment, so if you just add a dab of another cooler color to it they will pop the contrast slightly. A good excersize to practice seeing these small color changes is to take various flat materials with different colors on them and hold them up next to your wall and shine a light on the materials so you bounce the light into the wall and see how different materials reflect their light onto other surfaces. Also the further back in space the more muted the colors due to atmosphere. This will help with depth. Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have time for another hobby? You need a bigger tank! :D
The picture looks great! If I did that it would look like a mud pile!
nice stuff! Don't take it as criticism, but just some extra details to think about to help send work over the edge! Keep in mind on stuff like the desert scene, shadows aren't just darker versions of the same hue, but slightly different tinted hues based on cloud coverage and ambient light reflecting off the environment, so if you just add a dab of another cooler color to it they will pop the contrast slightly. A good excersize to practice seeing these small color changes is to take various flat materials with different colors on them and hold them up next to your wall and shine a light on the materials so you bounce the light into the wall and see how different materials reflect their light onto other surfaces. Also the further back in space the more muted the colors due to atmosphere. This will help with depth. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for these tips! I watched ‘mural joe’ on YouTube and he talked about these colors. Specifically adding red/purple into things to mimic atmosphere. I am going to work on some more this weekend and see how I can manipulate colors! I had no reference photos for these, just what was in my head. I’m gonna try to find a reference photo next to see if I can better represent depth. I have a problem with not adding enough white.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini update

Been a few days.
everything is leveling out pretty well!
been “fighting” (letting it do its thing) cyano for the last two weeks. Weekly 10% water changes, keeping the fuge light on longer, and cut the vipar back to 8 hours instead of 10 (on 20% intensity always). Woke up this morning and I’d say pre- water change the cyano was about 50% cut back.

Also the ghost flatworms I hadn’t been paying attention to, and I believe they have been going HAM on the sea lettuce. I spent probably 20 minutes hunting and sucking up those guys yesterday.

all the babies are doing well (minus the whole chromis catastrophe). I added a 3” scopa to tackle the hair algae since the angle is not doing ANYTHING but being adorable. The acclimation box trick worked wonders. The angle and scopas hang out together behind the rocks. No troubles there at all.
mocha Vinci clown has officially found his home on the back side of the front central rock. Shim’s so cute just hanging out there all day until it’s feed time. Valentini runs the entire tank, constantly begging me for yummy frozen foods instead of pellets. But I only give in once every other day.

In regards to RODI, it absolutely sucked running on the hose outside. Swamped my backyard to only get about 2” in a 5g bucket. So I went on BRS and got the sink attachment to hook up in the bathroom and hopefully that will do the trick.
in regards to the ATO, I’ve been adding Kalkwasser to it, and the weekly Ca tests have never dropped below 350.
I dont test Mg yet, since no corals but I do doze seachem’s ions once a week.

so far, things are smooth sailing with only about 1-2swells occasionally.
speaking of —- I was able to snag a last minute opening on a liveaboard 4day dive trip out in the flower gardens in the gulf.
I leave on the 5th! Hoping to just do a water change before I leave and have my girlfriend check on the tank one day while I’m gone and everything should be good! Im excited to finally be able to dive again! I’ve missed the big blue. Pray that seas stay smooth that week! Because anything over 5’ and the boat doesn’t leave port.
image.jpg

cloudy because I just finished cleaning. But so happy with everything so far :)

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Great. I'm happy to hear about the Dive trip. I was a commercial diver for 10 yrs but haven't dove is almost 20 yrs.
Was ironic, I had a commercial license but not NAUI or PADI certified so I couldn't get air and did not want to spend the time getting certified. Maybe when I retire :D
Hope you have a great trip!

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Great. I'm happy to hear about the Dive trip. I was a commercial diver for 10 yrs but haven't dove is almost 20 yrs.
Was ironic, I had a commercial license but not NAUI or PADI certified so I couldn't get air and did not want to spend the time getting certified. Maybe when I retire :D
Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks! Im so stoked. I have anxiety about going on vacation right now. But being on a liveaboard with just the same 20 people (including crew) makes me less anxious. And i need the water. Something about it is the most calming thing ever.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from the sea!
I took a beating. Forecast was 2-3’ seas and ended up being up to 6’.
Harsh currents, cloudy skies (less visibility) and on the first day almost lost my weight belt and had to straddle the down line to wrangle it back on, resulting in a major rope burn on my legs.
BUT overall, great trip. The flower gardens were definitely teeming with life. Corals looking like they are booming! Saw a couple sting rays, and a loggerhead on the night dive. Out of 12 possible dives I only did 7 because I was just worn out or not confident in my diving ability in extra strong current.
Not the best trip I’ve taken, but can’t say it was a bad one when I got to be in my happy place!
80FC60A3-58DE-4A5F-A3ED-F83A39F4949A.jpeg
C91629A5-9129-4C56-8E35-4C64BF0AF5E5.jpeg
AD9C0E3A-A337-4715-84B8-FFF4B198D418.jpeg
5FF52B02-ED98-42E6-8B77-2CB35BC46C0C.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
starting to think "jaws got ya" awesome!!! glad enjoyed..how is tank ;) :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back