OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you measured the opening of the door frame itself, or from each side of the door stop trim. But, just measured one of my door openings and if I were to remove the trim, I get about 30 ¼". Don't know if that would be enough clearance, but taking the trim off, reattaching, and a quick paint touch up, may be the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to go about it.

it won’t be enough clearance for the base. The base is at 31”
And the height is 32”

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like @Grimreefer89 's idea, mostly because if you don't rent it, you can buy the angle grinder and a pack of cut off wheels for ~$20 from harbor freight and then you've have a fun toy after your tank is set up :)

If you do decide to go wood, I usually suggest these plans:

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grimreefer89 has the best idea. I weld my own projects when I need to doing remodels, but what he suggested is better than welding, bcs you can take it apart when you want to take it back out instead of calling a welder again.
Myself, I'd use square tubing that fits inside the legs as tight as possible.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grimreefer89 has the best idea. I weld my own projects when I need to doing remodels, but what he suggested is better than welding, bcs you can take it apart when you want to take it back out instead of calling a welder again.
Myself, I'd use square tubing that fits inside the legs as tight as possible.
Thanks! I think I am gonna go for this idea! You guys just saved me from spending $100+ on building my own stand!!

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to sleeve it measure the square tubing and go to home depot and get a size or 2 smaller... id get about four foot so i had a solid 6inches sticking up. So theres no way it could slide off.

would a 5amp work or would I need something stronger?

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welder here. You can definitely weld inside, you would just need to lay welding blankets down. Have you looked into extruded aluminum? There are online company’s that will help you design and send everything needed for assembly. Check out tidal gardens you tube channel for reference.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked but didnt see it mentioned, do you have a sliding glass door for a patio/backyard? Those typically come off the tracks from inside easily. Mine are less work then taking one of the wooden doors off its hinges.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked but didnt see it mentioned, do you have a sliding glass door for a patio/backyard? Those typically come off the tracks from inside easily. Mine are less work then taking one of the wooden doors off its hinges.
The office only has one window and one interior door. :/

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take the door frame trim off and take the hit on the security deposit/put it back on yourself.
From what @Grimreefer89 said, seems like his option is more affordable. Keep in mind I would need to buy all new paint, nails, trim, and tools to cut and remove the trim. Rather than buy some metal rods and a grinder, and cut wheel. Looked at harbor freight and they have a sale for a $9.99 grinder and $0.99 cut wheel.

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.
I purchased a 90g tank sumpstand and accessories for $400 from a guy that’s going an upgrade/downgrade from 5 tanks to 2. It was too good to be true.
so everything is loaded up, and I’m taking it home. I’m super excited to move my 36 to a 90.
well. We get the stand in the front door and down the hall. And you’d never guess it. Like NEVER.
Yep. You guessed it. Stand won’t fit. And no, to answer your first question I did NOT measure the door frame before purchasing this stand and I did NOT ask him to measure the base of the stand. Just the tank. Dingus.
I am unable to rip apart the door frame since this is a rental. So I need help on how to build a DIY tank stand for a 90 gallon cube that is 30”x30”

please save me some heartache. I do not want this baby in my living room as a compromise. I want it in the office where I can daydream about scuba diving right when I’m about to pull out my hair.

Carpenter here. If landlord doesn’t have an issue with a large aquarium..I don’t think they'd have and issue with allowing you to remove and replacing the door frame.

Carefully score the caulking where the casing meets the wall to prevent wall damage..and remove replace the door frame. Worst case scenario if the frame doesn’t come out well. Can replace with a new pre-hung door. That’s what I’d be trying as that steel stand is pretty nice. Grinding, then welding indoors then repainting.. would be more headache imo.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welding??? Seriously? Just go to home depot and buy some 2x4’s and plywood. Build a stand in like an hour or so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back