OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenter here. If landlord doesn’t have an issue with a large aquarium..I don’t think they'd have and issue with allowing you to remove and replacing the door frame.

Carefully score the caulking where the casing meets the wall to prevent wall damage..and remove replace the door frame. Worst case scenario if the frame doesn’t come out well. Can replace with a new pre-hung door. That’s what I’d be trying as that steel stand is pretty nice. Grinding, then welding indoors then repainting.. would be more headache imo.

The biggest issue that I have seen since measuring is that its not just the trim I will need to remove, it is also the door jam itself because I need that much more clearance. with the jam, it measures 29.5" I need 31" to fit the stand thru. The trim is one thing, but the door jam as well, seems like an entire reno.

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue that I have seen since measuring is that its not just the trim I will need to remove, it is also the door jam itself because I need that much more clearance. with the jam, it measures 29.5" I need 31" to fit the stand thru. The trim is one thing, but the door jam as well, seems like an entire reno.
Yes but once the trims are off, as the jambs are usually installed with finish nails they can be pried away pretty easily.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember when it's time to remove it....
What make sense for both.

I built my floors (pergo), around my stand, now stuck with that size of stand... or re-do / patch up my floors again.

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but once the trims are off, as the jambs are usually installed with finish nails they can be pried away pretty easily.
Also, if you do opt remove trim/casing and the jambs - make sure to take a sharp blade or razor to all the painted and/or caulked joints first.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I built my floors (pergo), around my stand, now stuck with that size of stand... or re-do / patch up my floors again.

Yeah I dont want to have to redo trim twice when i could cut once, throw some rods in, and epoxy it until its time to move. Then i can heat up the epoxy with a hair dryer, and break it, then the tank can be moved again!

Im in school for engineering. I know that cutting a weld sounds like absolute blasphemy, but.... if done correctly the tank should still stand just fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A patio door saved me on my big tank. Most windows will totally disconnect from the entire slides on the frame.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welding??? Seriously? Just go to home depot and buy some 2x4’s and plywood. Build a stand in like an hour or so.

I second this ^^

Let's not make a mountain out of this situation.

You wanna know what for through doorways? A piece of plywood, 2x4's, and a box of deck screws.

Op could even have home Depot cut the boards to size and only have to put screws in place once back to the house.

bdehlin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd cut the uprights with a die grinder, then measure the ID and had to the local metal supply shop to buy steel square tube where the OD is just smaller than the frame's ID. This will essentially act as a slug and you could either leave it as is, or get someone to bevel and weld up the seams.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add to this— I am getting my masters right now. Small possibility my professor convinces me to grab for the PhD, but I have two solid years under my belt at this house before I move. Moving IS going to happen. So I just need to keep my options open for a future disassemble.

Last edited:

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I dont want to have to redo trim twice when i could cut once, throw some rods in, and epoxy it until its time to move. Then i can heat up the epoxy with a hair dryer, and break it, then the tank can be moved again!

Im in school for engineering. I know that cutting a weld sounds like absolute blasphemy, but.... if done correctly the tank should still stand just fine.

Alright, there you go. JB weld epoxy..Or sim.
..I suppose you could always drill and add a pin or fasteners if needed.

All the best. Cheers

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just emply the Kool-Aid man technique

I now I have an image of OP busting through the door frame, stand in hand, debris flying everywhere, OH YA!!

I second just building one from wood:)

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant lay it on its side and kitty corner it through ?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not take the stand to a metal shop. Have them cut it in half and cut the pieces to re-assemble it.
I might be too late with this post

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi, look in the diy section in articles and their are instructions how to build a simple stand. There are also ones online see:

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
968B7FA7-4714-4DB7-A746-6DB6E411283B.jpeg

One cut down!6 to go!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back