SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0DEA0DA9-1505-429A-87AD-696C0F27206E.jpeg

I did it!!!! She’s up and running!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeehaw!! Looks totally fab. Well done. :)

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

Is that the water height you are going to run in your sump? I only ask because it doesn't look like much room for back-flow when your pump is turned off or loses power.

*** I am assuming the return pump is running currently with the above question***

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

Is that the water height you are going to run in your sump? I only ask because it doesn't look like much room for back-flow when your pump is turned off or loses power.

*** I am assuming the return pump is running currently with the above question***

that is not! The return is extremely level with the grates at the top so it doesn’t actually return much into the sump. Maybe an additional two inches, but also that was the last full up before the final plug in.

I’ll send an updated pic once everything is settled and the rocks are how I like them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to get some CUC today.
I already have: 2 astrea and 10 hermits (minus a couple from the Valentini)

thinking about adding:
-10 more hermits
-1 sand sifting star
-2-3 cerith??? Or should I get different ones

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY, so.... I went to my LFS to get the CUC I listed....

and....

well....

I came home with a lemonpeel angel too.
anyone have these guys AND have success with corals? Im worried I just set myself up for a FOWLR forever.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to get some CUC today.
I already have: 2 astrea and 10 hermits (minus a couple from the Valentini)

thinking about adding:
-10 more hermits
-1 sand sifting star
-2-3 cerith??? Or should I get different ones

I probably have 3-4 ceriths (florida and dwarf) for every other member of my CUC.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also because y’all love photos:
image.jpg

image.jpg

All in, including CUC and fish, I’m sitting at $1,500 spent. Hoping to sell my 36 bow front with 20g sump setup for $200 ish (And obviously buy more fish with that).
I’ve been pretty good about the quality of equipment I’ve bought so far. I’m hoping that I don’t need to make any more expensive purchases for another 2-4 months (until I start adding corals—- eeekkkk)

I think I have done an incredible, affordable job with this system. Oh also, I Forgot to mention that the guy I got the 90 from also threw in a RODI unit (without the filters) for free. So that is my next project so I can stop using dechlored tap water, and make sure my tank has pristine water for corals in the future!
I am so so happy. This tank is massively perfect for my office. My only complaint is that I wish I could find a way to keep the gurgling down from the stand pipe, it’s much louder than the 36g HOB I had before.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have more cerith than hermits?
yes ma'am, I really dislike hermits. I have one left whose been with me for probably 2yrs? I believe hes a Calcinus laevimanus. I find snails to be much better cleaners when you have the right variation in species. Hermits will go after and eventually kill most snails, either for new real estate, hunger or just for sport.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes ma'am, I really dislike hermits. I have one left whose been with me for probably 2yrs? I believe hes a Calcinus laevimanus. I find snails to be much better cleaners when you have the right variation in species. Hermits will go after and eventually kill most snails, either for new real estate, hunger or just for sport.

well dang! I guess I won’t keep replenishing them! I was just trying to get an affordable CUC going and buying 20 hermits for $30 seemed the best option

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
maybe mods can move to orig build thread?? @Daniel@R2R

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back