F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely frustrated.

I had a good run with my system, the tank seemed to finally be getting back on track and ive been vinegar dosing and the alk is now at a nice 11.2 (still high but BABY STEPS).

So to reward myself on good husbandry.... I spent $200 on new corals. Two of which being a nice sized birdsnest and a 5" fluffy, gorgeous purple stylo.

Well.... Everything was good for a week. Then all of a sudden the stylo started to bleach from the bottom to the top. Theres only about 1/2" of polyps left on the tip of the frag. This all happened in a span of 4 days. As of yesterday the birdsnest also has begun to show signs of bleaching as well.
All LPS and softies are just fine. So my fear is an outbreak of RTN. Some of my hartier LPS are also showing signs of STN.

Anyone know of where I can purchase "Prime Coral Prevent RTN" ? I've been looking online and it appears that this product isnt available through the manufacturer or on amazon.
Read through your other thread. I'm not much help as STN and RTN have been difficult for me to cure.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as @F i s h y on my end as well. I will typically frag them down to healthy tissue, even before I had a frag tank. Seemed to be the only way to save them.

I will say I have had luck with cipro for RTN and STN, but not from alk swings and the like. Only when it all of a sudden showed up with no swings or anything like that.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
checking in... :)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm here.

I've been debating selling everything and starting over from scratch once I'm moved and settled. Also still on the hunt for a home. Its definitely not an easy one. Trying to keep my head up and stay looking on the bright side. I'll let you all know once there is a real update to be given

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm here.

I've been debating selling everything and starting over from scratch once I'm moved and settled. Also still on the hunt for a home. Its definitely not an easy one. Trying to keep my head up and stay looking on the bright side. I'll let you all know once there is a real update to be given
I guess depending on how far you are going and mode of transportation, selling and rebuying would not be a huge financial loss plus it is a million times easier. I know I would never transport anything except frags that I could neatly and cheaply pack. If anything dies you have just spent $ to transport something worth $0. lol.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess depending on how far you are going and mode of transportation, selling and rebuying would not be a huge financial loss plus it is a million times easier. I know I would never transport anything except frags that I could neatly and cheaply pack. If anything dies you have just spent $ to transport something worth $0. lol.
Yeah, im travelling halfway across the country... Its a 20 hour drive (nonstop)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, im travelling halfway across the country... Its a 20 hour drive (nonstop)
Oh ya. If it were me I would sell the fish and corals and pack the equipment if you have room. Personally I would turn it into a 3 day road trip and have some fun. No matter the route I'm sure there are plenty of fun adventures out there waiting.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, you will pay top dollar to rebuy and take a hit on most sales. 20 hours with an entire tank of livestock can easily be packed for transport with a very low chance of die off.

Personally I would find selling a bunch of fish and corals to be much more of a hastle than taking them with.

I'll be moving CA to the Midwest/South next year. Everything will be coming with.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, you will pay top dollar to rebuy and take a hit on most sales. 20 hours with an entire tank of livestock can easily be packed for transport with a very low chance of die off.

Personally I would find selling a bunch of fish and corals to be much more of a hastle than taking them with.

I'll be moving CA to the Midwest/South next year. Everything will be coming with.
I went the opposite direction. From Denver to San Diego. Maybe I just enjoy the fresh start and planning that goes along with setting up a new tank. Craigs / FB / local groups can definitely be a pain dealing with flaky buyers but for me it's an easy choice to sell and rebuy. In my experience you can usually get close to 50% back on what you paid. Also factor in the cost of moving that stuff whether its a bigger van or packaging or whatever. Plus the last thing I want to do when traveling and then settling in a new city / job is worry about setting up and maintaining a tank.

But that's just me. I am a bit lazy when it comes to moving I suppose....

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the opposite direction. From Denver to San Diego. Maybe I just enjoy the fresh start and planning that goes along with setting up a new tank. Craigs / FB / local groups can definitely be a pain dealing with flaky buyers but for me it's an easy choice to sell and rebuy. In my experience you can usually get close to 50% back on what you paid. Also factor in the cost of moving that stuff whether its a bigger van or packaging or whatever. Plus the last thing I want to do when traveling and then settling in a new city / job is worry about setting up and maintaining a tank.

But that's just me. I am a bit lazy when it comes to moving I suppose....
I moved 8 times in 5 years between school and the military.

I'm a surgical mover!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi Ali, yes agree w saving equipment ,that you will use in near future.
sell the tank !!
livestock...well ya' know what to do...;):)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,put him back in sump,and watch ,
may amaze you,they shed and come back 90% of the time if outv less than24 hrs...;)
good luck.:)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 hrs...watch mouth,will start moving first ,shed may take a few hours, if no movement of mouth in 2 ,then gone...:(

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hrs...watch mouth,will start moving first ,shed may take a few hours, if no movement of mouth in 2 ,then gone...:(
okay! Thank you :) he was 100% in the trash so I just pulled him out.

definitely felt stiff but like muscle tightness stiff... and some parts of the slime coat were still sticky. So theres possibly still hope!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
will be waiting for the good news... ;) :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well that didn't take long...:);Woot;Woot;Happy

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back