Alkalinity Stability

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been monitoring my alk every day (mostly) for the past 2 weeks and have seen some interesting trends to which I cant figure out the cause.

Tank is a 180 gallon 6x2x2 mixed reef. Three live rock pillars, sea floor special sand (1-2")

20170122_160829_zpsbvicjft5.jpg

Fish are:
-Dejardini Tang
-Blonde Naso Tang
-Yellow Eye Kole Tang
-Leopard Wrasse
-Checkerboard Wrasse
-Flame Angel
-Blue Chromis x 2
-B&W Ocellaris Clown x2
-Blue Dot Goby

So here are the alk readings. Along with Ca, Mg, PO4, NO3.
Testing_20170512_zps4rxv1v64.png

I manually dosed two cups of calcium chloride to get the calcium finally over 400, then in two weeks it went up to 455, this was after I turned the calcium doser down.

Alk dosing has been turned down when alk got to 8.46 and up when it got down to 7. It was steadily climbing this week from 7.3 to 7.8,. but then this morning its down to 7.3 again and I didnt change any dosing or anything.

I do 30g water changes with IO salt every other week (5/7, 4/23, 4/9, etc). The WC doesnt affect the parameters that much

What couldve caused the drop? I measured with Hanna and Salifert to make sure the number was correct. Are these alk swings large enough to affect my corals? My montis are showing the most stress (retracted polyps, BTN) and some euphlyllia doesnt have the fully extended polyps like usual.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test you alk at the same of the day, everyday?
I see dates but I can't tell if you testing at the same of the day, from day to day.

Regards, GoVols

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test you alk at the same of the day, everyday?
I see dates but I can't tell if you testing at the same of the day, from day to day.

Regards, GoVols

I agree. I checked mine throughout the day and evening one time, every four hours, out of curiosity after reading a thread about how ALK will ramp up and down during a 24 hr period. I cant remember the exact numbers but there was a noticeable swing. I always try to check mine every day around the same time.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the week I test at 6 am and from monday to today it was slowly ramping up until today. My alk drip stops around 4 am so maybe it didnt run last night. thats the last thing I can test on my side

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back