Alternatives to Digital Aquatics Probes and Parts.

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed my i-temp probe and works like brand new and with some extra work i even got to use the excisting probe tube and wire. All i had to do was calibrate it once it was done. If anyone wants to know how i did it let me know.
I'd like to know the part(s) and process you used. Also, how long have you been running the new fixed probe?

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a thread on R2R in aquarium controllers with the information and some photos and I will edit the post here for the probes with the link to you thread with the info. Thanks for the input.

JayBABQ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed my i-temp probe and works like brand new and with some extra work i even got to use the excisting probe tube and wire. All i had to do was calibrate it once it was done. If anyone wants to know how i did it let me know.
I'd be interested in your fix. I have a feeling it may not be too long before one of mine go out.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probes

pH or ORP
The DA pH and OPR probes can be replaced with any of the standard pH or ORP probes with a BNC type connector. I have used Pinpoint and BRS branded probes for this without any issues

Salinity Probe
Apparently the DA Salinity probe is a K1 type conductivity probe. I believe the later ones were actually made by Apera and was a 2301C rebranded as a DA probe with a longer cord. I purchased a DA probe recently and the 2301C was stamped on the outside of the box. I did a search using probe 2301C and found this. https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instru...pID=210SF8iOqeL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch I purchased one and it is working and tracking like the one I purchased from DA. The only difference I can see is the name on the probe and the length of the cable.

IMG_2202.JPG

Temp probe
I ordered a pair of temp sensors from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JBZ63Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
IMG_2268.JPG

I ran some test on them comparing them with a DA temp sensor. The DA sensor was not the new probe type, but that should not matter since either should work with the systems. The test results are as follows. I ran the test at 3 different temps. Not sure how accurate the digital temp meter was, but it suppose to be within +- 3 degrees. The resistance readings were taken with the same meter within seconds of each other. From this data I believe these should work. It just depends on how well the cables will hold up to the salt water environment.

Temp in F ... New Sensor 1 ... New Sensor 2 ... DA Sensor
92.66 .............. 6.87 .................. 6.98k ............... 6.79k
75.2 ................. 9.81k ................ 9.97k .............. 9.73k
33.8 ............... 31.76k .............. 32.33k ............. 32.48k

I could not find any of my micro-fit 3.0 connectors so I just spliced one to a pre made cable to test. I calibrated it on the Archon using the single point calibration method. This is closer to what would you would get with the RKL or RKE. The ones I will be comparing it with were calibrated using the 2 point calibration so they would track with each other better.

Update: I found the micro-fit connectors so I installed a connector to the other sensor and placed it on my SL2 and did a single point calibration. It was actually within .2 degrees before calibration.
Photos are below.
IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

OK, here are graphs from the Archon for 24hr period. The first is the Archon iTemp port with a DA temp probe. The second is a sensor I purchased on the SL2 port. The third is the second sensor on the SLX port. Both sensors are the same type. I turned off the cooling fans for awhile, then turned them on for awhile. I set them back to auto to regulate the temp.

Archon Temp.gif

New Sensor SL2.gif

New Sensor SLX.gif

I hope this will help anyone trying to find a probe for a Digital Aquatics RKE,RKL or Archon.
Where did you find the micro fit connectors? I finally acquired an RKE head unit, and found out the Itemp temp sensor isn't compatible.

JayBABQ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JayBABQ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I received all my parts to make a new Temp Probe. I found that the original NTC 10k that was mentioned in the above posts was no longer available. So I ordered a different type, still waterproof and NTC 10k 3950's. I also picked up the molex parts from digikey. I put it all together and plugged it into my SLX module (temp port) and have been monitoring it and my iTemp probe to see how it compares. So far it is right on track with my iTemp (after calibration of course). I have a feeling that the metal waterproof housing has made the thermistor less jumpy by buffering the fluctuation in temp from the currents. I have them both in the sump.

Probes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185P4MVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Molex: I ordered black and red with the socket pre-crimped and then the 2 prong connector
Good Luck
20181109_140823.jpg

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks JayBABQ. I updated the original post with the link to these. I was also looking at these. I guess the stainless sleeve keeps abrupt temp changes from getting to the thermistor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my temp sensors today. They are the same ones that JayBABQ used. I already have one hooked to my SLX module for testing.

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my temp sensors today. They are the same ones that JayBABQ used. I already have one hooked to my SLX module for testing.
I've also ordered the same sensors and they will be here in a couple of days. The plastic waterproof sensor was just too sensitive but I'm skeptical about the stainless lasting over time. Thinking that my plastic probe just needs a little more mass to buffer the changes I encased it in epoxy today and will be trying that this week too.

steven87vt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the OP! For the cost of a few dollars I made a new temp prob that calibrated perfectly and is tracking the original DA prob well. Links were spot on and digikey, was kinda stechy because the site seams hacky but had an awesome experience with them.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the OP! For the cost of a few dollars I made a new temp prob that calibrated perfectly and is tracking the original DA prob well. Links were spot on and digikey, was kinda stechy because the site seams hacky but had an awesome experience with them.
I have been using digikey for a few decades now. I have always had a good experience with them. That is one reason I linked to them.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know about repairs to a PC4. I remember someone way back posted about replacing the triac. I did a Google search with no luck.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know about repairs to a PC4. I remember someone way back posted about replacing the triac. I did a Google search with no luck.
I have not done this. If you have the equipment to remove and install another one it should not be too hard to do if you have the soldering skills. Make sure you get the correct replacement triac.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the replacement temp probes working? My Itemp probe some how got a crack in the outer plastic shell and Im pretty sure there is water in the tip of the probe, not sure if there is supposed to be liquid in it or not. I did buy a new temp probe for my SL1 before DA shut down but it was defective and drifts really bad.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the replacement temp probes working? My Itemp probe some how got a crack in the outer plastic shell and Im pretty sure there is water in the tip of the probe, not sure if there is supposed to be liquid in it or not. I did buy a new temp probe for my SL1 before DA shut down but it was defective and drifts really bad.

They are a little more sensitive that the DA probes. I have not been using one long enough to know about longevity though.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a little more sensitive that the DA probes. I have not been using one long enough to know about longevity though.
I think Im going to order the probes and cut the plug off the wacky probe so I can wire it to plug into the SL1 Temp port and free up my last data plug for running MyReef.

Back