Alternatives to Digital Aquatics Probes and Parts.

jefffersin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this information... it is so helpful!!

Does anyone know which pins of the RJ12 are used when connecting a temp probe?

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, the guy i bought the system from had a dci but never used it because he thought he needed the apc. so no cables. he sent a ton of bus cables, can i use any of them with new connectors?

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this information... it is very helpful!!

Does anyone know which pins of the RJ12 are used when connecting a temp probe?
Photo below of connector. Looks like it uses the two contact at bottom in photo. Hope this will help.
IMG_2343.JPG

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, the guy i bought the system from had a dci but never used it because he thought he needed the apc. so no cables. he sent a ton of bus cables, can i use any of them with new connectors?
I would get a photo of one of these cables, but I don't use the DCI or APC. So, I don't have one of these cables. I have Ecotech MP10's for flow. Lindsey @pickupman66 might have one though.

NewYorkReefer1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if I can re-wire the connection of an I-temp probe to fit the sl1 temp switch port and have it actually work? I have a glitchy new style temp probe and a good I-temp probe. I would just stick with the I-temp probe but if I plug it into a bus slot then I can’t use myreef2.0 because it leaves nowhere for the sid to plug into. Let me know! Thanks!

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if I can re-wire the connection of an I-temp probe to fit the sl1 temp switch port and have it actually work? I have a glitchy new style temp probe and a good I-temp probe. I would just stick with the I-temp probe but if I plug it into a bus slot then I can’t use myreef2.0 because it leaves nowhere for the sid to plug into. Let me know! Thanks!

The sensor is the same. The only difference is the connector.

NewYorkReefer1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if I can cut and slice an I temp probe with the newer style temp probe that plugs into the SLX module?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a photo of one of these cables, but I don't use the DCI or APC. So, I don't have one of these cables. I have Ecotech MP10's for flow. Lindsey @pickupman66 might have one though.

I have a Pair of DCI that I use. IIRC the connectors are smaller than the Rj11 ones. I had to buy several as at one point i made some custom cables I think. RJ9 maybe. its been a LONG LONG while since I did that. I did use the same cables to go from my archon to the DCI and also from my APC to the DCI. Ill see if I can remember to get a pic tonight.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I stated the temp sensor is the same the only difference is the type of connector. It either has the rj11 connector or the Micro Fit 3.0 connector. The iTemp is the newer of the 2. The RKE came first and it cannot use an iTemp probe without changing the connector. Earlier in this thread is the info on the connectors.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 wire. Same size as the receiver cord from a telephone. Wired as a straight thru cable.
c5376579a544ed2dac4d6a2bc3e5af64.jpg
6bd34e6fae0e5a5cd971d6eccce564fb.jpg

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lindsey, is the top photo one end and the bottom the other? If so it looks like the wires flip from one connector to the other. On a buss cable the same wire is in the same pin of each connector. On that cable it looks like they or on the oppisite side on the second connector.

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have a non-functioning temp probe that they might be willing to dissect for us? I suspect it is just a 10k thermistor, looking at the data Danny provided, but would like to see the "guts" of the probe to maybe speed up the trial and error process of finding a suitable replacement. With a little luck maybe a part number could be found on something inside the probe.

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having same problem and need to replace i-temp probe. They are becoming very hard to find and i am very tech savvy. I dont mind having to cut and redo connectors. Would any exciting aquarium temp probes out there work with changing connectors, I have the SL2 module and can used the temp port on there aswell.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having same problem and need to replace i-temp probe. They are becoming very hard to find and i am very tech savvy. I dont mind having to cut and redo connectors. Would any exciting aquarium temp probes out there work with changing connectors, I have the SL2 module and can used the temp port on there aswell.
Did you read post #3. It has info on the thermistor used in the temp probe. I used them for a few weeks. When I did a 2 point calibration with them on my Archon they started to drift. I think it had to do with placing them in ice water to do the calibration. They just have epoxy coating on them. I think water entered between the wire insulation and the epoxy. If you use these you may want to come up with some way to make sure they are more water proof. Those temp sensors do have the right thermistor though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have a non-functioning temp probe that they might be willing to dissect for us? I suspect it is just a 10k thermistor, looking at the data Danny provided, but would like to see the "guts" of the probe to maybe speed up the trial and error process of finding a suitable replacement. With a little luck maybe a part number could be found on something inside the probe.
Sorry I do not have one that is bad at the moment. The ones I got in post 3 worked for a few weeks. I think there was a leak between the epoxy coating and the insulation on the wire and water got to the connections inside the epoxy. I will probably get some more and try and coat them something and test them again. The also have the same thermistors with a stainless steel tip. I am not sure that tey won't have the same issue.

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I do not have one that is bad at the moment. The ones I got in post 3 worked for a few weeks. I think there was a leak between the epoxy coating and the insulation on the wire and water got to the connections inside the epoxy. I will probably get some more and try and coat them something and test them again. The also have the same thermistors with a stainless steel tip. I am not sure that tey won't have the same issue.

I've got one of the plastic coated "waterproof" ones coming next week and hope to get some time to get it hooked up and run some tests. My thought with the ones you tried was to use some marine grade shrink wrap to waterproof them. The plastic one looks like the same type probe on the cheap aquarium digital thermometers and I've had some luck with them so thought it might be worth a try first.

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed my i-temp probe and works like brand new and with some extra work i even got to use the excisting probe tube and wire. All i had to do was calibrate it once it was done. If anyone wants to know how i did it let me know.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back