Alternatives to Digital Aquatics Probes and Parts.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rk elite head unit... the lite one flaked out on me, im guessing i need to flash the head unit but not sure how and where to get the source file

Is this the only power bar you have? Do the channel lights come on for the channels that don't work? If they do then the issues is probably with the outlets. If not then it could be programming. If this was a used unit you may need to do a reset to factory default on the head unit. This will erase all programming so you will have to reprogram all of your outlets. Hope this helps. What firmware are you running on the RKE head unit?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only power bar you have? Do the channel lights come on for the channels that don't work? If they do then the issues is probably with the outlets. If not then it could be programming. If this was a used unit you may need to do a reset to factory default on the head unit. This will erase all programming so you will have to reprogram all of your outlets. Hope this helps. What firmware are you running on the RKE head unit?
Yes the lights show on, and no i have 3, all of which have this issue, may not be the exact same outlets but every one has at least one that isnt working.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the lights show on, and no i have 3, all of which have this issue, may not be the exact same outlets but every one has at least one that isnt working.

If the channel indicator is lit it should be on unless there is an issue with the powerbar for that channel. It does not sound like it is the head unit or programming.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly so now wondering what to do..
If you are good with electronics you can try and repair them. Alternative is use them that way or get some more PC4's or PB4's. I have only had one fail and that was after a lightning strike. It blew the fuse on the transformer on the pole in the backyard. I got lucky that it was just one PC4 and the surround receiver that got toasted.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my repalcement white temp probe. At first for several weeks the new probe would drift badly, randomly either reading high or low with no rhym or reason to it. So I decided to just leave it plugged in to the SL1 and see what happens leaving the iTemp probe in control of the heater and alarms. I check the replacement probe temp every day a few times a day to see if its holding calibration and how closely it reads compared to the iTemp. Over the last 2 weeks or so the new probe has held calibration with no drifting and is reading within .2-.3° of the iTemp. I have not changed anything to make it happen, no calibration and no updates. Its weird but I will take it. Almost to the point where I feel I can trust the new probe and use it as my primary temp device for the RKL.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can catch PB4's and PC4's on sale on the forum from time to time. You just have to be on the lookout for them. If I get a chance I will take apart the one I have that got zapped and see if I can get part No's for the outlets, triacs and relays that are used in a PC4. Not sure that either are your issue but are the most likely cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my repalcement white temp probe. At first for several weeks the new probe would drift badly, randomly either reading high or low with no rhym or reason to it. So I decided to just leave it plugged in to the SL1 and see what happens leaving the iTemp probe in control of the heater and alarms. I check the replacement probe temp every day a few times a day to see if its holding calibration and how closely it reads compared to the iTemp. Over the last 2 weeks or so the new probe has held calibration with no drifting and is reading within .2-.3° of the iTemp. I have not changed anything to make it happen, no calibration and no updates. Its weird but I will take it. Almost to the point where I feel I can trust the new probe and use it as my primary temp device for the RKL.
Thanks for the update.

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I pulled it out last week and misplaced it. I bought there of the four sizes I found and of coarse I think it is the one I didn't get.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pH probe that went bad on me so I thought I would try and use it to make a temp probe. I took it apart and saved the following items. Also in the photo is the temp sensor I will use. I broke the tube while trying to get the cap off the end but I used superglue to glue it back together. I saved the rubber gaskets for use. I also have some silicone tubing covering the back of the sensor.

IMG_2794.JPG

I placed the gaskets on the sensor as shown below. I still need to get some RTV to seal it before Final assy.

IMG_2796.JPG

I assembled everything to check it out. Photo below. Once I get some RTV to seal it I will give it a test to see how it goes.

IMG_2795.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back