Alternatives to Digital Aquatics Probes and Parts.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tubing I had ordered for the DP1. I installed some on my ATO pump and it looks to be working OK. It is 2.2X4.5. I also tried 2.0x4.5 and it was to much load for the motor and pump assy. I also tried 2.5X4.5 and it did not seal good enough to pump correctly. The link where I got it is posted below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-2...002.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77584c4dfJMfuu

I updated the post in this thread for the DP1 with this information also.

Last edited:

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help getting a temp probe working. I purchased the molex cables/connectors and 2 different NTC Thermistor 10K 1% 3950 (the white plastic and black stainless) and they both are decreasing temp reading with higher temps and not by that much. I tested them starting at 78 degrees and put them in a glass of hot water and they drop to 77. In cold water they go up to 79. I checked the resistance with a multimeter and they are 11-12K at room temp. What am I doing wrong? any ideas?

I was able to get my temp probe working and it turned out to be the SLX module. I had to to the "Interrupted Update" described in this post. My iTemp was going good and then one day it jumped to 90 and down to 70. Then I remembered the day before I had unplugged and moved the probe. So I checked it and noticed a tiny amount of corrosion causing a short in the connector. I opened the SLX module and there was a small amount of corrosion on that end also. I scraped it with an x-acto knife and it was good as new after. If you have the same happen it might be worth checking before replacing the iTemp probe.

I also purchased this probe from ebay. It's a 10K 3435 (not sure how much a difference that is from 3950) but it's plastic, has plenty of wire and stated as "for prolonged use underwater". So far it's been tracking with the iTemp probe perfectly according to my NET logs.

I also made the replacement by drilling out an old pH probe - great minds ;)

20190310_223134.jpg

20190310_222906.jpg

Thanks for the info on the molex connectors. I ordered two float switches from Mouser with them and was able to make a dual float backup on my open switch while making the second probe. Hopefully I'll never have all three fail at the same time. Great thread.

Last edited:

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up a SL2 cheap on ebay (Still a couple left here). Has anyone tried a replacement Salinity Probe? I'm confused about how the RK measures the salinity. Is it a conductivity probe that measures in Siemens? If so I was looking at the Apera Instruments AI1304 2301-C as a replacement. Anyone have any info on this?

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up a SL2 cheap on ebay (Still a couple left here). Has anyone tried a replacement Salinity Probe? I'm confused about how the RK measures the salinity. Is it a conductivity probe that measures in Siemens? If so I was looking at the Apera Instruments AI1304 2301-C as a replacement. Anyone have any info on this?

Look at post #3 in this thread. I have both a DA probe and the Apera. They seem to track the same. Depending on the firmware on the module will determine the error you get for reading as temp drifts from where it was calibrated. I would only use the salinity reading as a reference for you and don't use it to control anything. I think the correct firmware for that probe may be 2.23 which I don't currently have. I have firmware versions 2.05, 2.15, 2.16, 2.21 and 2.22. I have not tried them all yet. My tank only changes by a couple of degrees and that is mostly during the winter months. So it has not been a big issue. If you want these to try I can send them if you PM me with your email address.

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at post #3 in this thread. I have both a DA probe and the Apera. They seem to track the same. Depending on the firmware on the module will determine the error you get for reading as temp drifts from where it was calibrated. I would only use the salinity reading as a reference for you and don't use it to control anything. I think the correct firmware for that probe may be 2.23 which I don't currently have. I have firmware versions 2.05, 2.15, 2.16, 2.21 and 2.22. I have not tried them all yet. My tank only changes by a couple of degrees and that is mostly during the winter months. So it has not been a big issue. If you want these to try I can send them if you PM me with your email address.

ahh my fault, I should have re-read before posting ;Facepalm would have saved me a lot of time. Yea, I've heard they can be a bit sketchy. Thanks for the offer on the firmware! I won't have the module for a few weeks. I'l check it and let you know.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I just got a stand with and RKL plus built into it the only thing it doesn’t have is the Sid v2. I’ve tried a factory reset and cannot seem to rename/assign the outlet channels for the life of me.

Would any usb to RJ12 work? If so have you find a reliable source?

Channel 1 once PCS 1 is always ATO and I don’t have an ATO.

I have the MyReef software just no way to connect to it
i have the sidV2, do you have a spare RKL heater probe???

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll trade someone this for a temp probe... i just ripped mine outta the darn jack.

IMG_0739.HEIC.jpeg

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a RJ12 connector. You can get them at Home Depot along with the crimper. The only thing is you have to make sure you get the wires back in the correct pins on the connector. There are two wires and six pins on the connector.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a RJ12 connector. You can get them at Home Depot along with the crimper. The only thing is you have to make sure you get the wires back in the correct pins on the connector. There are two wires and six pins on the connector.
Shut up! Seriously??!! Dude, that’s ******. I’m going up now lol

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're you able to pick one up? I think there is a photo in this thread of the connector on the temp probe. If not let me know if you need one.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, Lowe’s had it though and the kit was $50! So the guy told me to use it for the one thing I need it for and return it hahaha

jokim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my temp probe has the RJ12 connector (the one that looks like a phone line connector) how do I connect the probe listed in the first page to the RJ12 connector?

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my temp probe has the RJ12 connector (the one that looks like a phone line connector) how do I connect the probe listed in the first page to the RJ12 connector?
Is this what you are asking for? The white wire soldered to the ends of the thermistor is from a cat5 cable I soldered them to the end of the thermistor cable and used heat shrink on each and a larger piece of heat shrink around the other two.

IMG_2743.JPG

Last edited:

jokim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what you are asking for? The white wire soldered to the ends of the thermistor is from a cat5 cable I soldered them to the end if the thermistor cable and used heat shrink on each and a larger piece of heat shrink around the other two.

IMG_2743.JPG

Yes that is a piece. Can I twist the wires and wrap with electric tape?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back