Am I Crazy? NPS and Clams?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides having two nano/pico tanks stuck together I can’t see any advantage, it will be fairly challenging to keep up with the nutrients in such a small space.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides having two nano/pico tanks stuck together I can’t see any advantage, it will be fairly challenging to keep up with the nutrients in such a small space.
The advantage would only be in the aesthetics/novelty of having two completely different environments right next to each other in the same space. The tank will be connected to my other system to manage parameters and nutrient control.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca
Imo NPS and clams are really a good fit to each other. Let me explain.

1. Most of the NPS can thrive on nano- or pico-plankton. These food are good for clams as well.

2. As the food breakdown into inorganic nutrients, clams will devour all those nitrate and phosphates, keeping your water quality up.

3. Both clams and most NPS look the best under neutral light, so will the fishes.

4. From my experience, many NPS do open up even during day time. So no issue with bare branches.

I'd say go for it!
Would you mind explaining how the clam works to take care of the inorganic nutrients? I just started a 23g long NPS/filter feeder tank, and I am building a refrigerated auto doser to provide a constant supply of zooplankton, phyto, and purple non-sulfur bacteria.

I read about Dr. Dendrostein's sump full of Pacific oysters, and I am planning to try that, but it would be great if I could have a pretty clam in addition to the oysters.

I prefer using natural filtration methods to create a self-sustaining ecosystem, rather than relying on weird additives with proprietary ingredients. I have real live rock, a huge canister filter (rated for a 175g tank) full of ceramic bioballs, and I'm using PNS Probio bacteria for food and nitrate management (I am trying this out...don't know if it works). I also added blue hypnea and caulerpa for more nitrogen/phosphate sequestration, but it will take a while to grow.

Anyway, that was more detail than necessary, but since it looks like you have experience with NPS, I'll take any advice, tips, or info you have! I currently have some hardier NPS gorgs, photosynthetic gorgs, and a big sponge. TIA

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca

Would you mind explaining how the clam works to take care of the inorganic nutrients? I just started a 23g long NPS/filter feeder tank, and I am building a refrigerated auto doser to provide a constant supply of zooplankton, phyto, and purple non-sulfur bacteria.

I read about Dr. Dendrostein's sump full of Pacific oysters, and I am planning to try that, but it would be great if I could have a pretty clam in addition to the oysters.

I prefer using natural filtration methods to create a self-sustaining ecosystem, rather than relying on weird additives with proprietary ingredients. I have real live rock, a huge canister filter (rated for a 175g tank) full of ceramic bioballs, and I'm using PNS Probio bacteria for food and nitrate management (I am trying this out...don't know if it works). I also added blue hypnea and caulerpa for more nitrogen/phosphate sequestration, but it will take a while to grow.

Anyway, that was more detail than necessary, but since it looks like you have experience with NPS, I'll take any advice, tips, or info you have! I currently have some hardier NPS gorgs, photosynthetic gorgs, and a big sponge. TIA
Oysters will be quite a bit different from clams. They are no photo synthetic. They filter planktons from the water, so less particulate organic matter will remain and breakdown into nitrate and phosphate.

Tridacna clams do this as well. In addition, they make use of nitrate and phosphate in water directly as they grow; just like other photosynthetic organisms. That's why they are very effective at reducing the nitrate and phosphate level of an aquarium.

But of course, the size of the clam matters, and you will need to provide enough light for it to thrive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back