Am I missing something. Redsea phosphate test

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a few issues with my phosphate level, or I think I have anyway.
Both of these test were done at the same time the only difference is that one was done with 16ml of ro water and 1ml of tank water and the other was done with 17ml of tank water. But they both have me the same result. The one of the left is full tank water.
IMG_20201121_003222.jpg

The vials are cleaned with to water after each use. When in the comparator they both read as 0.08 so it isn't like the test is maxed out and reading the highest level on both. The max test result is 0.16
I am going to get a hanna checker soon when my LFS reopens but is there anything I can do now to try to get accurate results?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a bad level of phosphate either way, that would impact you.
Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker in PPB is very consistent.
While I like Red Sea Products, I don’t use any of their tests anymore as I found them complicated and hard to read.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This suggests your RO water has 0.08 ppm phosphate.
I tested my ro water with a freshwater kit it came back as 0. The test says that if you use 16ml of ro water and 1ml tank water it will tell you the higher level. The test with full tank water is equal to 0.08 but the diluted test would make it 1.68. I probably should have explained that better originally. This is what is confusing me, they are 2 wildly different numbers but giving me the same result

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the lowest level the freshwater kit can read? I'm guessing way above 0.08 ppm. That could be why it reads 0
The lowest reading on the freshwater test kit is 0.05ppm. Even if my ro was 0.08 would the fact my full tank water vial reads 0.08 aswell mean my tank has 0 added phosphate other than my ro water?

Upvote 0

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the exact same issue. Every time I check my phosphate, I get 0.08. A few weeks ago, my nitrates were over 100. I did a series of large water changes and dropped my nitrate from over 100 down to 10 in a matter of a week yet when I manually tested my phosphate using the red sea kit, I got exactly 0.08 ppm. I would think the phosphate would have dropped close to 0 given how much water I changed out. For what it's worth, when my reefbot tests it, it gives me 0-0.01. So I'm not sure what to believe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the exact same issue. Every time I check my phosphate, I get 0.08. A few weeks ago, my nitrates were over 100. I did a series of large water changes and dropped my nitrate from over 100 down to 10 in a matter of a week yet when I manually tested my phosphate using the red sea kit, I got exactly 0.08 ppm. I would think the phosphate would have dropped close to 0 given how much water I changed out. For what it's worth, when my reefbot tests it, it gives me 0-0.01. So I'm not sure what to believe.
This is the issue. I have been running a media reactor with a heavy amount of rowaphos and doing water changes to try to lower my phosphate my now I don't even know if the phosphate is high or if I have a bad kit and my LFS is shut and everywhere online seems to be out of stock of other tests at the minute.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest reading on the freshwater test kit is 0.05ppm. Even if my ro was 0.08 would the fact my full tank water vial reads 0.08 aswell mean my tank has 0 added phosphate other than my ro water?

you are forgetting there is a margin of error with these tests, what is the Redsea margin? We are talking very small numbers here

This seems to be a known problem, I had a similar issue, a search Google seems to suggest that RO water can give a reading for phosphate, whether it be from the container, salt or water, or “disappears” after a day or so I couldn’t find the answer to that.

Upvote 0

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the issue. I have been running a media reactor with a heavy amount of rowaphos and doing water changes to try to lower my phosphate my now I don't even know if the phosphate is high or if I have a bad kit and my LFS is shut and everywhere online seems to be out of stock of other tests at the minute.
I also used a salifert kit and got 0. Checked with a Hanna ulr phosphorus. The first two times I got 26, 27, which equals 0.08 phosphate. Then a day or two later I checked again and got 101 which corresponds to a phosphate of about 0.3. Manual red sea test still showed 0.08. So I don't even know anymore!

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

po4 is known to be much harder to remove with a water change than nitrate, PO4 releases from the rock work, if you remove some it gets replaced until the rock work has released what it was holding on to.

Upvote 0

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with the red sea phosphate test kits. Always 0.08... someone should reach out to red sea and demand a refund for everyone lol
I test with Red Sea and guess where my phosphate is stuck at.............yup .08
I will do a double test with Red Sea vs. Hanna in the morning.

Upvote 0

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read the reviews, people are saying if you always read 0.08 makes sure you're looking at the pointer and not the color next to the number.

Mine seems to work fine for what it's worth. (I made a stock PO4 solution and did dilutions)

Still doesn't explain the same color OP gets with RO and tank, but it is suggestive that your tank is at 0.00 to 0.02 or so factoring in margin of error.

I'm flummoxed truly but no matter the number it is definitely not an emergency to get to the store asap. Just grab a new style test when you can.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read the reviews, people are saying if you always read 0.08 makes sure you're looking at the pointer and not the color next to the number.

Mine seems to work fine for what it's worth. (I made a stock PO4 solution and did dilutions)

Still doesn't explain the same color OP gets with RO and tank, but it is suggestive that your tank is at 0.00 to 0.02 or so factoring in margin of error.

I'm flummoxed truly but no matter the number it is definitely not an emergency to get to the store asap. Just grab a new style test when you can.
Thanks. All the reviews I had seen said it was good that's why I was a little confused but brs site never comes up for me because I'm in the UK. Good to know it's not just me having issues

Upvote 0

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Just tested with a salifert kit that I borrowed and it came back as 0 so I am having the same issue as everyone else. Thanks for all the replies
Funny thing is that when my reefbot does the test, it comes back at 0.01. So I don't know if the reefbot is misinterpreting the colors or it somehow is getting the accurate number and manually I'm not.

Upvote 0

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread same problem

salifert always reads 0

Red Sea reads … idk … .12?

these kits don’t make sense to me

Attachments

• 4ABD7608-310B-44B0-8C05-D30DFE8E38D7.jpeg
    4ABD7608-310B-44B0-8C05-D30DFE8E38D7.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back